Class of 2025 - PG Luke Fennell (Australia) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (10/23/24) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 PG Luke Fennell (Australia) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (10/23/24)

This might be the best quote from a player I have ever seen. And if it at all indicates the culture that Red has in place and is selling, predicated on actual player development, this program is going to thrive:

LUKE FENNELL
"I wanted to be around people that are hungry, people that want to be the best versions of themselves and still haven't reached that stage of being a pro yet. I'm excited to be around that high-pressure environment where iron sharpens iron, everyone wanting to be great, so I think that's the environment that's gonna help me."
Anybody else read that with a bad Aussie accent??

toot toot omg GIF

So, SU didn't pull him away from Cal and Louisville but instead programs that are "like" Cal and Louisville?! Yes, I realize that I'm being pedantic. He sounds like a great pick up. I can't wait to see him driving around campus in his Big Red Car.

I was worried that an internal hire wouldn't bring a new set of eyes and ideas to the program.

But from my distant viewpoint it seems like we are witnessing some changes to the program to get caught back up to where we should be or used to be, new recruiting territories, international recruiting, use of analytics, outside hires not having to be former players etc.

Red sticking with strategy of signing guys no one has visibility on. This will continue
As I said before, we are great with identifying talent early to watch them blow up and lose interest in us once the big boys get in the picture. Red has found a way to combat this by quietly seeking and signing under the radar players. We will soon be able to close on the big name players once we start winning again which should begin with this current team.

Last edited:
So winning 20 games last year (hasn’t been done in a decade) with a group of misfits wasn’t good enough for you for a year 1 head coach ? Now there’s no excuses for year 2? Man, what an opinion
We beat nobody, really. UNC, fine. Yes I forgot about that one. But we didn't make the tournament - didn't get close, really. First-year head coach with a mid roster, sure -- it was fine. I don't consider it successful though.

Tournament is the only way to measure a successful season. At Syracuse, if you do not make the tournament, it is not successful. So if he makes the tournament this year, it will be a success. If he doesn't, it won't be.

That's my measure -- and I know I'm not alone in that.

All of this is great, but need the winning to come this year. No excuses.
Signing all these recruits is setting the conditions to win in the immediate future...which is great. But, we need to actually go out on the court and do it. Considering Red squeezed 20 wins out of the rag tag misfits we had last year tells me a lot. I believe he will get the job done on the court as well as his recruiting off the court. I believe we are trending in the right direction..

People will probably hate me for asking: if he was in the US, where do we think he’d be ranked/how many stars?
I think it's a good question.

The NBA prep teams are pretty legit though.

I was worried that an internal hire wouldn't bring a new set of eyes and ideas to the program.

But from my distant viewpoint it seems like we are witnessing some changes to the program to get caught back up to where we should be or used to be, new recruiting territories, international recruiting, use of analytics, outside hires not having to be former players etc.
Agree with your take here. Recruiting had gotten stale. Red inherited Boeheim's team. I was frustrated at times with the selfish play with last year's team but most of those perpetrators are gone. Adding to your recruiting thought, recruit kids with good character.

Right. That is why I said "(e)xcept the whole outside shooting thing". Words matter.
I agree with you.
Billy's game against Oklahoma St saved the season, and against Texas he punished their point guard. Regular season against Thomas of Notre Dame he was amazing. And when he was eligible Gerry benefited by playing off the ball.

So winning 20 games last year (hasn’t been done in a decade) with a group of misfits wasn’t good enough for you for a year 1 head coach ? Now there’s no excuses for year 2? Man, what an opinion
What I think is really great about Red is he knew he must adapt and most importantly be himself. So, this is our 2025 point guard correct?, I certainly want Kiyan, hopefully this will help? So this essentially means with all due respect Jackson was not a fit correct? I believe Red 's building a program, and it does not seem to be one that caters to individual players exclusively. Team first. I truly believe we can compete in this age, if players are interested in winning, player development with NBA potential and lastly middle of the range NIL. Go Red!!!! and crew

What I think is really great about Red is he knew he must adapt and most importantly be himself. So, this is our 2025 point guard correct?, I certainly want Kiyan, hopefully this will help? So this essentially means with all due respect Jackson was not a fit correct? I believe Red 's building a program, and it does not seem to be one that caters to individual players exclusively. Team first. I truly believe we can compete in this age, if players are interested in winning, player development with NBA potential and lastly middle of the range NIL. Go Red!!!! and crew
Wouldn't surprise me if we look for an experienced portal point, but yeah, this is our guy looks like, and this is a really nice recruiting win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom