Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 99 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

I hope so but is there any precedent in Syracuse basketball history that we had more recruits than available scholarships. I can't think of any and I think perception wise that Syracuse might not want to go down that road. Hopefully the NCAA rules soon so it's a moot point.

Maybe not in Syracuse basketball but it happens all the time. Very common in football and while less so in hoops Indiana and Kentucky were both in that state recently just off the top of my head.

I'm not really all that worried about not having the scholarship in hand right now, to be honest. Lots can happen between now and summer 2016. Attrition could come in many forms [maybe Obokoh bails for PT elsewhere, maybe Coleman's physical health isn't where it needs to be and he hangs 'em up, maybe a player like Joseph doesn't progress and opts out]. Or maybe the appeal gets the scholarship restrictions reduced [frankly, its difficult to envision that NOT happening, given the unprecedentally excessive penalty we got handed down].

Regardless, there will be a slot for Battle.

Again, while Obokoh may seem like a logical candidate I don't think he is an option. He basically arrived at Syracuse with 4 years to play 3, burned his red shirt year in 2013-14, played in 2014-2015. Presumption is that he plays in 2015-16 so if he transfers he has to sit a year and has no remaining eligibility, right?

Again, while Obokoh may seem like a logical candidate I don't think he is an option. He basically arrived at Syracuse with 4 years to play 3, burned his red shirt year in 2013-14, played in 2014-2015. Presumption is that he plays in 2015-16 so if he transfers he has to sit a year and has no remaining eligibility, right?

I believe you are correct. Unless he graduates in 3 years and decides to move on I think he will be back for his senior campaign. What the NCAA did to him really was Bush league IMO. You did too much school so we are taking a year of eligibility! What. Kids prep every single year out of High School and it doesn't happen to them.

The problem is that right now there is not a spot for Battle. Of course that's fluid and who knows in a few days/weeks that may no longer be the case. But as of right now there isn't, and someone can correct me f I'm wrong.

And I realize that things change, players transfer/declare and stuff. But if I was Battle, I would be wary about committing without KNOWING there was a scholly for me ie right now, and not maybe in a few months if players leave.

The problem is that right now there is not a spot for Battle. Of course that's fluid and who knows in a few days/weeks that may no longer be the case. But as of right now there isn't, and someone can correct me f I'm wrong.

And I realize that things change, players transfer/declare and stuff. But if I was Battle, I would be wary about committing without KNOWING there was a scholly for me ie right now, and not maybe in a few months if players leave.

Ummm he knows there is a spot for him! This has always been the case as he has been our primary target in 2016 for what? 3 years now.

Battle has another year of high school. If he commits and it doesn't work out, his Plan B would probably welcome him with open arms. SU wouldn't pursue if they didn't know that they would have an opening for him.

Why not us? Why not now!

He's going to commit on the 4th of July Apollo Creed style!

APOLLO-CREED_612x380_0.jpg

Ummm he knows there is a spot for him! This has always been the case as he has been our primary target in 2016 for what? 3 years now.

Agreed. I understand DocSU's point, but it isn't even a consideration. Battle will have a guaranteed spot if / when he commits to SU.

I believe you are correct. Unless he graduates in 3 years and decides to move on I think he will be back for his senior campaign. What the NCAA did to him really was Bush league IMO. You did too much school so we are taking a year of eligibility! What. Kids prep every single year out of High School and it doesn't happen to them.
Yes that was an unbelievable low blow, even for an institution notorious for heartless decisions. How can you tell a young man that he spent too much time learning in HS and should be docked D-1 eligibility, and turn around and claim you're all about the student athlete and "academic integrity" is a "core value"?

Last edited:
Yes that was an unbelievable low blow, even for an institution notorious for heartless decisions. How can you tell a young man that he spent too much time learning in HS and should be docked D-1 eligibility, and turn around and claim you're all about the student athlete and "academic integrity" is a "core value"?

As usual, the NCAA goes out of their way to be lenient on athletes who actually commit infractions, while screwing over the interests of REAL student-athletes with bureaucracy--the ones that corrupt institution should actually be protecting the most.

I know we've been on him like crazy. But then we got sanctions and things changed. And I'd be reluctant to take ANYONE solely on their word.

I know we've been on him like crazy. But then we got sanctions and things changed. And I'd be reluctant to take ANYONE solely on their word.
Battle will have a spot and Battle knows he will have a spot. People apply for jobs that others have all the time.

Battle will have a spot and Battle knows he will have a spot. People apply for jobs that others have all the time.

And if no one leaves? And our appeal is denied?

And if no one leaves? And our appeal is denied?
Someone will leave. There will be room for Battle. This isn't a question. Not saying whether this is moral or not. It really is what it is. JB will make room for Battle. They have made that very clear to Battle.

Someone will leave. There will be room for Battle. This isn't a question. Not saying whether this is moral or not. It really is what it is. JB will make room for Battle. They have made that very clear to Battle.

So we'll force someone out. Fair enough. Kind of dick-ish, but it is what it is.

So we'll force someone out. Fair enough. Kind of dick-ish, but it is what it is.
Well, since we appealed, the sanctions haven't started yet. So I believe right now we have our full allotment until our appeal is either upheld or rejected. And maybe someone will want to leave. But yes, some kid that had nothing to do with the violations will take the hit. Sad.

There is a 0% chance that this has any impact on his recruiting. He's been assured there will be a spot for him. If that means someone has to leave, then so be it. It's not like this hasn't happened many times before.

There is a 0% chance that this has any impact on his recruiting. He's been assured there will be a spot for him. If that means someone has to leave, then so be it. It's not like this hasn't happened many times before.

Yeah, I get it. See above.

See I don't think so (re: dick-ish move). If you are offered an academic scholarship and don't perform academically then you don't get the scholarship again. Why any different with athletic scholarship?

See I don't think so (re: dick-ish move). If you are offered an academic scholarship and don't perform academically then you don't get the scholarship again. Why any different with athletic scholarship?

Because it means a kid is paying the price for the sanctions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom