Pittfalls Postgame... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Pittfalls Postgame...

Haha a little tongue in cheek here, but really… no matter how well Justin Taylor plays (he played well tonight for sure), he is an absolute LOCK for a at least one horrible backboard destroying and/or atrocious airball miss from 3 a game. Guaranteed.

Does Vegas have some prop bet on that I could check into, haha it’s wild
He was fouled on that shot.

If JJ plays like that we have a chance against anyone. That stop and pop is lethal when it is dropping. Feel like has not attempted many jump shots in recent games so getting some confidence there is huge. We could get away with Bell not playing in the second due to Benny and Starling of all people. Totally different team if those two can play like that more often. We were able to out muscle Pitt while still hitting some jumpers
JJ needs more volume

his pullup J has been lethal all season

JB was always great for moving on to the next game. Never too high or too low. Red has some of that in him. NC counts as one loss. Forget and move on. Saturday’s game should be the largest crowd of the year. Huge opportunity and getting some respect. It’s so nice to finally beat twice in a season. Good job by the coaching staff tonight. Red has been preaching to share the ball more. I think it’s his way of saying the ball can’t stick in Judah’s hands. Hevwas better tonight until late in the game. He has to be able to jump stop in the lane.

so I didnt get to watch the game...

it seemed to me the offense was a bit different? and it worked...am I right?

If you beat the number one team in the country at the time you play them aren’t they the number one team in the country? So should never celebrate the fact. Rush the floor. None of that bc of what they might turn out to be?
Celebrating and counting it as a set-in-stone tally in the metrics are two different things. If the team really was a top X team, it shouldn’t make a difference in the metrics because they’ll settle where they should.

Celebrating and counting it as a set-in-stone tally in the metrics are two different things. If the team really was a top X team, it shouldn’t make a difference in the metrics.
Don’t disagree. Just was curious on your take. Appreciate it !

If you beat the number one team in the country at the time you play them aren’t they the number one team in the country? So should never celebrate the fact. Rush the floor. None of that bc of what they might turn out to be?

It’s not about celebrating the win. The whole point of this quad system is to compare resumes at the end of the season. With that in mind, it stands to reason that the quads should be judged/adjusted retroactively.

If you beat the #1 team early in the season and team B beats them at the end of the season after they had a 15 game losing streak, the early season game shouldn’t count as a better win than the late season game.

Crap missed the game. Sounds like it was a good one too! Kiddos to JJ and the boys on making their shots and definitely their 3’s!!

it can be 4-0 but doesnt have to be
I think at a minimum needs to be 3-1. I’m not sure that true signature win is out there for us. Even as well as we play at home I find it hard to believe we can make UNC close let alone beat them.

Our best path to the tourney (I think) is no bad losses and winning most of our coin flip games. Which roughly would put us at 20-10 / 12-8 in conference heading into the ACC tourney.

For those obsessing Q1 vs Q2, when teams are right on the edges. When you are on the bubble, and you are one of the handful of teams they are discussing for the final spot they scrub down deeper. They have to do something those 3 days of discussion right? Maybe?

They typically will not make their decision based on the fact that Oregon is #52 instead of #49 for example, when they are scrubbing into your win quality.

Now don't get me wrong I would prefer that Oregon would be #49 instead of #52, but its not likely to be viewed much differently IF, IF, IF the committee is looking at things properly. I did capitalize IF, which is why I prefer to be #49 in case.

Oregon is 13-3 They don't lose. How did that game drop from quad 1? Dohn must be behind this.
The difference between 50 (q1) and 58 (q2) is basically nothing. Just some minor results can swing it. It’s one of the reasons I don’t love the whole “quad” groupings. It make it seem like a win over team 50 is considerably better than team 51, but we all know it’s not true

For those obsessing Q1 vs Q2, when teams are right on the edges. When you are on the bubble, and you are one of the handful of teams they are discussing for the final spot they scrub down deeper. They have to do something those 3 days of discussion right? Maybe?

They typically will not make their decision based on the fact that Oregon is #52 instead of #49 for example, when they are scrubbing into your win quality.

Now don't get me wrong I would prefer that Oregon would be #49 instead of #52, but its not likely to be viewed much differently IF, IF, IF the committee is looking at things properly. I did capitalize IF, which is why I prefer to be #49 in case.
Didn’t we have just one Quad One win the last time we made the tournament and it turned out we weren’t even that close to the bubble because we missed the play in? I remember it being a bone to pick with some of the national media.

Maybe we shouldn't have beaten them. Then our win would count more. :confused:

One more reason why credit for a win should be based on where the opponent was ranked at the time.

A few issues with that.

#1. There is not even a NET for the first 5 or 6 games. So how would you measure those games -- would you say those are based on year end, but then game 7 is based on "as of played"

#2. You can't use AP Poll as an alternative, because that only ranks 25 or 30 teams each week.

#3. Be it NET, KP, or AP Polls they are not very robust in November and December. They have some value as measures, but they are much more accurate at year end. Therefore it makes more sense to use year end ranking.

#4. Part of the problem is that there is a lot of meaningless games that teams played in their first 15 games... it makes the "as of now" data, even into mid-January, a bit flimsy and not robust.

Last edited:
Bummer. Carey better get his game up to speed rapidly. He was one of the only negatives tonight
I know he didn’t play well but I honestly didn’t mind him. He didn’t get abused too bad and was active in altering some plays. I think with lack of playing time and stepping in on the road this was not bad. Got to build on it. Bigs that are younger tend to get fouls easy

Last edited:
Oregon is just outside of the top 50 (the range of a neutral court win to be considered Q1)
Pitt is just inside the top 75 (the range of a road win to be considered Q1)

Pitt won't be there tomorrow (top 75), but like Oregon these are games that will be on the borders likely all year of Q1/Q2.

Either way a Q2 Road win is a good win.
Hopefully Oregon improves and moves into and stays in the top 50.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom