Pittsburgh Game Thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Pittsburgh Game Thread

Can you imagine how dominant Roc would be if they called every foul that is on him each game?

I really can't. They let so much go. Then they call everything. Way to be consistent!

Pitt hasn't had a scoreless possession since the 7:40 mark. That is brutal.

We allowed that to happen, and we only lost by 6. That's fairly ridiculous.

Our forwards have games where they are all but useless on the boards of late.

They might as well all just go for runouts and pray Xmas gets teh rebound, cuz we're getting nothing from them anyway on defense.

Regardless of our ban, I'm embarrassed with this loss. Pitt is not even a gold basketball team..

These kids play hard, gonna watch it all through. We lack depth for reasons that we've gotten into over and over.

It's like watching a car run outta gas close to home. Just want one of the big games where we drive through the driveway.

Next time I meet someone that's a Pitt fan, I'm upperdecking their guest bathroom.
I used to like Pitt. I liked Howland, I liked Dixon, a couple of my cousins went there, but ever since I went to Pittsburgh for the NCAA's a couple years ago I realized how classless their fans are. They are my Georgetown and my Yukon.

These kids play hard, gonna watch it all through. We lack depth for reasons that we've gotten into over and over.

It's like watching a car run outta gas close to home. Just want one of the big games where we drive through the driveway.

The thing I find weird is, Cooney plays 40 minutes a game, it could be argued he's been gassed at the end of games at times...yet, the team was clicking pretty well with him on the bench, and he comes back in with 4 fouls and over 10 minutes left.

Then we got slaughtered. Now, I'm not saying Cooney caused that, AT ALL, defense was our issue, and he's not bad on D - just weird that we brought him back in so early when they guys on the floor were holding their own.

KJ looks more comfortable to me playing off the ball. G should be the full-time PG. No exceptions.

When was our last defensive stop?
It's tough when you are so shorthanded and refs calls are so inconsistent. Let's not blame it on the defense. These guys played another tough game that they lost at the end. All the missed foul shots came back to hurt us again. It's frustrating but it's reality.

I used to like Pitt. I liked Howland, I liked Dixon, a couple of my cousins went there, but ever since I went to Pittsburgh for the NCAA's a couple years ago I realized how classless their fans are. They are my Georgetown and my Yukon.

Truthfully, I never liked Pitt under Howland, or under Dixon. I hated (and continue to hate) how they reduced basketball to wrestling and rock fighting.

But yeah, my experience at the NCAAs there was unpleasant, to say the least. Uber douches all around.

It's tough when you are so shorthanded and refs calls are so inconsistent. Let's not blame it on the defense. These guys played another tough game that they lost at the end. All the missed foul shots came back to hurt us again. It's frustrating but it's reality.

Do you remember the last time we scored EVERY possession during a 7:30 span, let alone the last 7:30 of a game? The defense was, similar to the UNC game, very much a problem, IMO.

Also, defensive rebounding once again was an issue.

Tough loss. Our guys were gassed the last 5 minutes and it showed. Sloppy on offense. Missed FT's. While the overall rebounding numbers are close, Pitt absolutely crushed us on the boards the last 5-6 minutes. Got multiple shots several times -- like just about every game we play against Pitt. So disappointing...just like this season.

The thing I find weird is, Cooney plays 40 minutes a game, it could be argued he's been gassed at the end of games at times...yet, the team was clicking pretty well with him on the bench, and he comes back in with 4 fouls and over 10 minutes left.

Then we got slaughtered. Now, I'm not saying Cooney caused that, AT ALL, defense was our issue, and he's not bad on D - just weird that we brought him back in so early when they guys on the floor were holding their own.

KJ looks more comfortable to me playing off the ball. G should be the full-time PG. No exceptions.
I was surprised that he didn't try a little offense/defense with Patterson and Cooney. Patterson was fresh and he only had one foul.

I was surprised that he didn't try a little offense/defense with Patterson and Cooney. Patterson was fresh and he only had one foul.

I know - it seemed odd. You gotta have Cooney out there on offense, but that may have worked with all the timeouts we were calling, etc...

lol...right?? Whatcha gonna do. :(

I'd much rather get beat by a team's best player than by nondescript depth guys.

Having really bad memories of Keith Freel as I type this.

Other than Rak, with some brief flashes from G and Cooney this team is torture to watch. I don't think I've ever seen kids this talented shoot that poorly at the FT line. It's become a staple of the JB offense :bang:

Put this season out of its misery already.

lot of layups, too. Defense was terrible - didn't have a single stop in the last 7:40.

It absolutely was...it usually takes Pitt 3 games to score a combined 83 points. :bang:

Just got in from reffing, checked the score ... <sigh> ... MadBiker's comment that our guys were gassed at the end is understandable and just too predictable. I saw in another thread that a poster wants JB to play the bench more for next year's benefit, but truly this can't keep happening. Wouldn't even a couple minutes in each half would have more positive than negative impact?

When the ref's virtually castrate the defense, there is not much you can do. We had our three best players playing for a long stretch with 4 fouls each. Roc had to let guys finish at the rim, MG as well. They all played hard and played reasonably well. I just hope all the guys, besides Roc, remember all these games for next year. Because that will be their year to pound on lesser teams like Pitt and Clemson. SU will be loaded. They will be young, but they will have leadership with MG and Cooney and the fire of DC. This year is a minor bump in the road, and still this team is competitive and plays hard and are fun to root for.