Playing the bench the rest of the way... | Syracusefan.com

Playing the bench the rest of the way...

supp

Hall of Fame
Now that we know we're not going anywhere, I'm not sure why we need to play Rak, Cooney, and G 40 minutes a game. Try some different lineups, play the bench guys more (well really I mean play BJ and Kaleb more, results be damned) and see where it gets us in terms of development for next year. Put Kaleb at the two more and see how he fits with G playing point. Put BJ at the top of the zone and see what we can do with a jumbo lineup. Give Chino a couple of minutes. Either he'll do something or figure out he's better suited at Colgate.

Yeah, yeah...I know the responses that are coming. Boeheim plays to win. He's stubborn. He doesn't play the bench to play the bench so get used to that. But the marathon men aren't getting it done, no matter what he says about tv timeouts. This is an extraordinary circumstance that we've been put in so take advantage of it where you can. There's nothing meaningful left to play for this year. Let's see what the players who are potentially going to be here for next season can do. Unless the aim is to get them out of the way for the incoming class?

Now that we know we're not going anywhere, I'm not sure why we need to play Rak, Cooney, and G 40 minutes a game. Try some different lineups, play the bench guys more (well really I mean play BJ and Kaleb more, results be damned) and see where it gets us in terms of development for next year. Put Kaleb at the two more and see how he fits with G playing point. Put BJ at the top of the zone and see what we can do with a jumbo lineup. Give Chino a couple of minutes. Either he'll do something or figure out he's better suited at Colgate.

Yeah, yeah...I know the responses that are coming. Boeheim plays to win. He's stubborn. He doesn't play the bench to play the bench so get used to that. But the marathon men aren't getting it done, no matter what he says about tv timeouts. This is an extraordinary circumstance that we've been put in so take advantage of it where you can. There's nothing meaningful left to play for this year. Let's see what the players who are potentially going to be here for next season can do. Unless the aim is to get them out of the way for the incoming class?
I almost agree w you but heres the problem imo. RP, BJ, and CO all played against duk and what did they do? Look at the box score. And then add in that if our top 8 next year is G, McC, Trevor, TRob, Kaleb, Malachi, Cole and Bryant or Diagne? Will RP, BJ, or CO even play at all next year?

Don't you think that not trying to win is disrespectful to Rak?

I'd sure like to see him win his final home game against UVa. That's meaningful.

Play the marathon men less, not don't play them at all. The idea is to try something different to hopefully get a better result (now and in the future) rather than keep doing the same thing and hope for a different result.

Sometimes you can't get a better result, no matter how much you try to change things.

Since the coaching staff has watched this team practice & play for almost 5 months and knows exactly what it has to work with, I'll trust their judgement.

Sometimes you can't get a better result, no matter how much you try to change things.

Since the coaching staff has watched this team practice & play for almost 5 months and knows exactly what it has to work with, I'll trust their judgement.

I'm puzzled, then, as to why you're responding to this thread.

If it's a private conversation, then use the PM feature.

You know what's happening there. It's the "coach knows best" thread-killer. I'm asking a speculative question and he/she is claiming that we're not in a position to speculate. That's why I'm "puzzled" why he/she is bothering to respond. Leave it to the speculators, then.

This is common sense...

Integrity.

You owe it to the best practice players, to get the most game time.

You also owe it to your seniors to not cut their playing time just because the team is out of it. That would set college ball back even further.

Plus, as always...queue Herman Edwards...Hello!!! You play to win the game...

This is common sense...

Integrity.

You owe it to the best practice players, to get the most game time.

You also owe it to your seniors to not cut their playing time just because the team is out of it. That would set college ball back even further.

Plus, as always...queue Herman Edwards...Hello!!! You play to win the game...

Couldn't have said it better (which you probably already knew :) ) Also threads aren't restricted to people who just agree or yes 'em to the OP either.

I've been called many things before ... but never a "he/she"

:rolling:

If you don't understand that Christmas and crew want to win every game they have left, then you don't know what the game means to them at all.

Jb sees what these guys can do in practice. Practice well and you get on the court.
i guess in theory this is correct, but jb is HISTORICALLY WEAK in developing and playing the bench. i sometimes feel that he has a negative effect on player confidence. his comment after the duke game was horrible. we could have won that game had rak had a better night---as it was he was off--- but will be back next game. he waits to the end of the year for roberson, bj , etc, to play them significantly. now is the time for jb to be SUPPORTIVE of his guys, not demeaning them. very disappointed in jb this year and the handling of this team----he has been significantly negative all year re his players, and i believe the players at this time are playing for each each other and not the coach. i would like to hopkins get his shot, and jb take his rightfull well earned place in ncaa history as the hof coach.

I'm puzzled, then, as to why you're responding to this thread.
So, you're on an internet sports board, and you're puzzled as to why someone responded to something you posted? Really? What am I missing here?

I think JB has been getting them into games in spots where they can get experience, without giving up on the chance to actually win the game.

I don't really think any of the guys on the bench are really big pieces of our future so playing the bench doesn't really make much of a difference. Just make sure Joseph and Roberson get a lot of run and that's all I care about as far as development of these guys.

Patterson won't get playing time over Richardson.

With McCullough/Roberson/G/Diagne it's going to be tough for BJJ to get minutes next year.

Obokoh isn't getting time over Coleman/Diagne and definitely won't get time if Bryant comes. Plus, if in dire straits, it seems like Boeheim would put McCullough at C before he goes with Obokoh next year.

i guess in theory this is correct, but jb is HISTORICALLY WEAK in developing and playing the bench. i sometimes feel that he has a negative effect on player confidence. his comment after the duke game was horrible. we could have won that game had rak had a better night---as it was he was off--- but will be back next game. he waits to the end of the year for roberson, bj , etc, to play them significantly. now is the time for jb to be SUPPORTIVE of his guys, not demeaning them. very disappointed in jb this year and the handling of this team----he has been significantly negative all year re his players, and i believe the players at this time are playing for each each other and not the coach. i would like to hopkins get his shot, and jb take his rightfull well earned place in ncaa history as the hof coach.

A disappointing finish last year and a down year this year and you think JB should retire? Kneejerk?

A disappointing finish last year and a down year this year and you think JB should retire? Kneejerk?
no not based on what you are saying. as i said historically, he has never developed a bench. i think he needs to retire for a couple of other reasons. i would never dispute what he has done for the city, su, and others areas such as charities--- i think it is now time for him to move on and turn the reins over while still on top and keep his outstanding reputation. i also think the pressure now is greater than ever in the scrutinizing world of the dysfunctional ncaa---he no longer has the patience for that bs, and i don't blame him one bit. he has alot to offer particularly in voice of reason re college sports. sure he would be controversial, more the reason for him to have forum greater that a post game press conference. he would be great on a college game day show or espn commentary---

no not based on what you are saying. as i said historically, he has never developed a bench. i think he needs to retire for a couple of other reasons. i would never dispute what he has done for the city, su, and others areas such as charities--- i think it is now time for him to move on and turn the reins over while still on top and keep his outstanding reputation. i also think the pressure now is greater than ever in the scrutinizing world of the dysfunctional ncaa---he no longer has the patience for that bs, and i don't blame him one bit. he has alot to offer particularly in voice of reason re college sports. sure he would be controversial, more the reason for him to have forum greater that a post game press conference. he would be great on a college game day show or espn commentary---

If JB is still able to coach at a high level (regardless of any relatively minor criticisms you or I may have), why turn the program over to someone who has never coached a game in his life?

If JB is still able to coach at a high level (regardless of any relatively minor criticisms you or I may have), why turn the program over to someone who has never coached a game in his life?
no mas

This IS the bench. The other guys are walk-ons.

Obokoh isn't getting time over Coleman/Diagne and definitely won't get time if Bryant comes. Plus, if in dire straits, it seems like Boeheim would put McCullough at C before he goes with Obokoh next year.

This is a leap too far.

I don't care what people think they see or don't see in Obokoh this season (and I'm not seeing a ton...he is really slow). Coleman might never play again; at best, he was a below-average player for parts of two years. And the other two are freshmen. Everyone here knows how much Boeheim likes first-year big men.

I'd like to make this clear: I'm ambivalent about whether Obokoh should play more right now. I wish he'd played more in December. I was excited when he ran to the scorer's table on Saturday. Unfortunately he's not doing a ton in his limited minutes. But I'm not writing him off for next season. Much more unlikely candidates have started games for Syracuse and there's no talented logjam ahead of him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom