Please don't let this be a thing... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Please don't let this be a thing...

This may be my tipping point with "college" athletics. Kids will go to the highest bidder. I think this is very detrimental to the college game and will inevitably (along with the transfer portal) ruin & dilute college sports.
What is this college game you speak of? There are no more college sports. This is Semi-Pro ball.

Fans have to change their mindset and thinking about this stuff.

These are no longer student-athletes, they are employees. Wait till you see the "expanded" college football playoff come and the late-season rivalry games like Michigan vs Ohio St has players "opting out" of playing because the game doesn't really matter, we are both already in the playoff. So they want to rest up for the playoff games. THAT IS COMING TOO!

Last edited:
something needs to be done. You simply cant have another school offer a kid payment to leave one school and come to another.
Sure you can have other schools offer kids more money. These are now employees, not student-athletes. Kids just trying to make a living and have some walking around money. We see teenage athletes in tennis and golf all the time making money. Why should college athletes not be able to earn money and play sports?

This is what almost everyone wanted. Oh those poor college athletes and only their free education, room and board. That wasn't enough, they need to be paid.

Well, now they can get paid. Toothpaste is out of the tube, there is 0.0% chance of ever going back or regulating this.

Which imo is worse than offering big money to a HS recruit.
Question. Could a players scholarship include a buyout amount in the event they leave like a coaches contract?

Question. Could a players scholarship include a buyout amount in the event they leave like a coaches contract?
I doubt it. The scholarship is only tied to the given year(s) he plays for the school. Given that the NLI comes from outside the school, I can't imagine that will change.

I doubt it. The scholarship is only tied to the given year(s) he plays for the school. Given that the NLI comes from outside the school, I can't imagine that will change.
Well they are being counted on to perform a task that has value associated with it. Namely 40 m or more a year. Why not value each player at 1/82nd of the enterprise value.

Well they are being counted on to perform a task that has value associated with it. Namely 40 m or more a year. Why not value each player at 1/82nd of the enterprise value.
Because they're still not employees. At least not yet. And it you find a way to include a buyout to keep certain players, that makes it a lot harder to talk the unproductive guys into leaving that we all know get pushed out the door because they can then demand some sort of buyout.

Because they're still not employees. At least not yet. And it you find a way to include a buyout to keep certain players, that makes it a lot harder to talk the unproductive guys into leaving that we all know get pushed out the door because they can then demand some sort of buyout.
My point is that this can be controlled by the schools and conferences if they put their minds to it.

My point is that this can be controlled by the schools and conferences if they put their minds to it.
You think? I guess I just don't see how you can keep a wealtny booster from steering money to a player now. They players are free to make whatever deals they want with whoever they want. I believe it's out of the institutions' hands aside from providing support to the athletes.

What is this college game you speak of? There are no more college sports. This is Semi-Pro ball.

Fans have to change their mindset and thinking about this stuff.

These are no longer student-athletes, they are employees. Wait till you see the "expanded" college football playoff come and the late-season rivalry games like Michigan vs Ohio St has players "opting out" of playing because the game doesn't really matter, we are both already in the playoff. So they want to rest up for the playoff games. THAT IS COMING TOO!

Now I'm just depressed. That would truly be awful. CFB rivalry games are some of my favorite sporting events to watch.

I’m talking about EMU. Several alumni put up millions. And we are doing the things you ask. Do you watch or listen o any of John’s interviews?

PS. It’s also hard to be innovative with other peoples money.
…in a philanthropic way. FIFY

In the for-profit world, not so hard if you’re worth a damn.

In the end it doesn’t matter anyway, because the future is Gaming. Sports will just be something people did in the Old Timey Days.
30119645-D889-4AFF-953A-6969AC888116.jpeg

Is Ypsilanti a major metropolis? Do they have a culture? Your post is wrong. Innovativeness by the AD? What does that even mean?

I don’t even know what you’re getting at here. Ann Arbor’s not a metropolis, but it succeeds anyways because Michigan’s got an athletic culture as strong as anyone in the country.

Innovativeness by the AD means finding ways to bring money either into the program or create an environment friendly to NIL opportunities within Syracuse University’s reach.
You both realize that Ypsi and AA are part of the larger Detroit Metro Area Right? Really it's considered the Detroit-Warren-Ann Arbor Metro Area but they're still a part of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom