Point guard next year | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Point guard next year

what some dudes get fed minutes to play out of a funk and others don't ? i remember a rather rocky start.

So what is the difference between freshman GMAC and freshman JG3? It seems to me JG3 is a more well rounded scorer at this point in their games.
GMac was much higher rated. I think he was a better shooter and had a better handle coming out of HS. But I can see the comparison. I hope JG3 has a GMac type career. I think he has that potential.

GMac was much higher rated. I think he was a better shooter and had a better handle coming out of HS. But I can see the comparison. I hope JG3 has a GMac type career. I think he has that potential.
Gmac also
Played in a much tougher high school league

dude, you really think buddy isn't gonna start next year?

No, I think Buddy will excel as the third guard. He's not quite athletic enough yet. Give him another year of strength and conditioning.

i guess my problem with the jalen carey DNP's this season is that if you as head coach truly think he's so bad that he's gonna cost you a victory if he plays even 5 minutes with a double digit lead then maybe this is a guy you don't truly believe in and probably shouldn't even have on your team. jalen will be a sophomore in grade and yet a basically a frosh when it comes to game play next year. i don't get the lack of confidence.
and you're beating his down rather than building it up.

That's why they're going to Italy next year. Perfect team for a trip.

We’ve gone after athletes for years and they can’t shoot into the ocean from 3. Battle included. MCW before him. It’s part of the reason we’re in this mess to begin with.

Complaining about a freshman averaging 8ppg in conference play is a little weird.
In fact his defensive metrics have him defending better than Battle this year and on par with Howard

Getting guys who can actually put the ball in the hoop from 25 feet is a breath of fresh air considering we’ve been seeing it against us for 10 years and is exactly how Villanova won their titles.
Great post. I would always place Offensive skills first. Defense requires less skill. Hustle, effort, desire can get it done on D as you dont need to handle the ball or shoot. You could take 5 great athletes from other sports and field a great defense. Take those same 5 great athletes and try playing offense with them.
JB has placed way to much emphasis on recruiting for his zone. Stopping the other team is great but last i checked you dont get any points for it.

That's why they're going to Italy next year. Perfect team for a trip.

Yup - fatten up Marek, get the young’uns some run, start working out the lineups and rotations - it’s all good for a team with a ton of new parts.

JB likes long armed athletes to play the zone. It usually doesn't help shooters. The longer your arms the better chance you can have for a mechanical flaw in your shooting. This might explain why SU has been consistently poor foul shooters. The more compact your shooting stroke is the better chance you are a good shooter. I’m sure there are exceptions, but generally I think it’s true. Ask weight lifters if long arms help in lifting weights? Mechanics are a big part of good shooters.

JB likes long armed athletes to play the zone. It usually doesn't help shooters. The longer your arms the better chance you can have for a mechanical flaw in your shooting. This might explain why SU has been consistently poor foul shooters. The more compact your shooting stroke is the better chance you are a good shooter. I’m sure there are exceptions, but generally I think it’s true. Ask weight lifters if long arms help in lifting weights? Mechanics are a big part of good shooters.

Curious if any of that is true. Long arms might make it more challenging in things like bench press because you have to move the weight a longer distance, but probably more favorable for things like deadlifting.

Curious if any of that is true. Long arms might make it more challenging in things like bench press because you have to move the weight a longer distance, but probably more favorable for things like deadlifting.
It's as simple as they don't emphasize free throws in practice like other teams do. Other teams have long arms and manage just fine.

It's as simple as they don't emphasize free throws in practice like other teams do. Other teams have long arms and manage just fine.

Bad shooters are bad free throw shooters. We have both.

My starting 5 for next year:
Carey/Goodine
Buddy
Eli
oshae
Marek

I don’t care that we’ll possibly struggle on the glass or defensively. We already do that with a supposed C. Give me Marek and his quality all-around game and see how we can progress offensively.

If BG can handle lead ball handler duties, I think we can be pretty decent offensively with Marek as a central focus. Give me 5 offensive threats, including some shooters and we’ll be ok there

there's bouncing and there's dribbling. jalen carey can dribble.

I think we should utilize the depth we will have in the backcourt and press more often, even if token pressure just to shave a few seconds off the shot clock before falling back into the zone. A lot of times, one man pressuring whoever is bringing the ball up can be pain in the butt and get under the skin of the offensive player.

It seems like he'd be handed the keys next year and should therefore not be thinking about transferring, but I also would definitely not be surprised if he did. He's been totally blacklisted this year, even with absolutely pathetic PG play in front of him. I know that wouldn't make me happy, so I can't imagine him being all that happy about it either.

Oh, bull. "Blacklisted"!
He played twice as much as Buddy until the end of December.

He had a chance to be the third guard, but he turned the ball over way too much and he couldn't make threes.

Buddy took advantage of his second chance and started making threes in January. That still doesn't make Buddy a good ball handler yet.

Carey starts at PG next year, unless he makes a big mistake.
Neither Girard or Goodine are going to beat him out.

The way Girard shoots (and wins), it's hard to see a place where Howard Washington is going to play much for this team. Maybe in a couple years, he'll be the back-up PG, but he's got a lot of talent to compete with.

I think we should utilize the depth we will have in the backcourt and press more often, even if token pressure just to shave a few seconds off the shot clock before falling back into the zone. A lot of times, one man pressuring whoever is bringing the ball up can be pain in the butt and get under the skin of the offensive player.
tre jones picked us up backcourt last night with token pressure. be nice to add that wrinkle to the zone.

tre jones picked us up backcourt last night with token pressure. be nice to add that wrinkle to the zone.

Didnt bother us last night as much as he did for the few minutes he played in the first matchup.

For years we were bothered and even flustered by pressure when bringing the ball up. Louisville did it best. Use to get under our guards' skin all the time and take us out of our rhythm. With the depth we should have, we should be able to burn a little more energy at times and then utilize the bench when guys get winded. We rarely play with a ton of energy and pace due to a shortened undeveloped bench. Play the young gunz a few minutes at a time, utilizing a press here and there and pushing the ball up the court once rebounded or inbounded. The faster pace will help speed the game up and possibly help open up space on the offensive end with the multiple shooters that might be on thr floor. Then figure out who is the hot hand, and ride it.

Curious if any of that is true. Long arms might make it more challenging in things like btotench press because you have to move the weight a longer distance, but probably more favorable for things like deadlifting.
Its total bs

No, I think Buddy will excel as the third guard. He's not quite athletic enough yet. Give him another year of strength and conditioning.
Well, he has started this year, and the 2 guys ahead of him will be gone. Elijah is not a guard.
It's Buddy, Hughes, OShea, TBD, TBD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom