Point guard next year | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Point guard next year

Hope you're right. But, watching his videos; he makes MCW's shooting form look like Steph Curry's, and at his height, may find ACC ball pressure challenging in his first season...

Goodine shot nearly 40% from 3 in AAU and shot well in high school. Not sure where you’re getting the MCW comparison from except his height.

He shot better than Girard in the EYBL.

Last edited:
Goodine shot nearly 40% from 3 in AAU and shot well in high school. Not sure where you’re getting the MCW comparison from except his height.

Yep...not sure where this stuff comes from. Goodine has been a very good shooter. I'm pretty sure his % has been solid throughout his entire high school career but people see a tall lengthy kid or 1 video of him and throw out comments like this.

Yep...not sure where this stuff comes from. Goodine has been a very good shooter. I'm pretty sure his % has been solid throughout his entire high school career but people see a tall lengthy kid or what 1 video of him and throw out comments like this.

yep. Just edited my post to point out that he shot better than Girard in the EYBL from 3.

Wow, did not know that... His shooting motion is fugly though, no?

For point guard next year my first hope is T Battle. Of course, that seems far fetched. But if he's not on draft boards, showing vast improvement in his pg game could garner some interest. And if not, he would be playing in front of big crowds while putting himself into legendary SU point scoring territory.

Then comes J Carey. I like his speed and blow by ability, just hope he improves and can learn to value the rock and distribute. I've been disappointed in his limited time in the ACC, seems like he's not getting the message that I see- minimize turnovers, distribute the rock, get 10-14 efficient points.

If not I hope JG3 can snag the job. Unlike J Carey I think if JB prioritized ball security first JG3 would focus and get it done. Would be a different type of offensive flow but could work - JG3 and Buddy sharpshooting from back would complement the driving ability of QG and OB up front.

Didn't Carey shoot better than Buddy in the EYBL from 3?

No. Buddy shot 47% and was one of the leaders in AAU.
Yeah, Carey only shot 44% on 86 attempts in EYBL. So, he wasn't a slouch from behind the arc. But, perhaps tellingly, Carey only shot 62% from the FT line while Buddy was nearly 90%. Goodine was near 80% in AAU, so maybe that jumper will translate better for him.

Turning the page on the Frank Howard PG experiment, which obviously didn’t work out. I’m looking forward to a fresh start at point guard next year. I’d be a bit shocked if Buddy doesn’t start at the two. That leaves a pretty interesting competition at PG for next year:

Jalen - rough freshman year. Can he rebound to win the job?

Howard Washington - not highly recruited and limited athletic ability. Does he shake off the rust after nearly two years without playing to win the job?

Goodine - seems like he committed so long ago that’s he’s been largely forgotten. Listed as a SG. Does he have the ability to convert to point?

JG3 - a “score first” combo guard. Does if have the handle to run the point in the ACC? He’s quarterback of a state champion football team, so one could think he could run the point. He’s got a fighter’s toughness, which is always good for a PG.

Who ya got?

I think next year, Jalen starts at point, Washington and Girard battle for back-up minutes.

At the 2 guard, Brycen Goodine probably starts, Buddy is the third guard.

At the forward, it's going to be really interesting.

Brissett should still be here, but might be down to 25 minutes a game to give other guys a chance.

Then you have Hughes, who can play the 2 or the 3.

You have Quincy Guerrier, who may be our best newcomer.

And you have Braswell, who is surely good enough to get some spot minutes and get a chance.

And you Dolzaj, who deserves 25-30 minutes a game, just because he makes the ball move on offense and he does so many little things. He's like Kristof Ongenaet with offensive skills. I love this guy. He is our best glue guy since Josh Pace, and I hope he doesn't leave to play in Europe next year.

Then you have Ajak, Sidibe, maybe a late addition and Marek for the center.

There will be a lot of competition on next year's squad. I just hope JB gives them all a fair chance not just at the beginning, but throughout the season.

So what is the difference between freshman GMAC and freshman JG3? It seems to me JG3 is a more well rounded scorer at this point in their games.

So what is the difference between freshman GMAC and freshman JG3? It seems to me JG3 is a more well rounded scorer at this point in their games.
One hasn't played a college game yet, and the other played 35 minutes per game and was the third-leading scorer on a national championship team.

I think next year, Jalen starts at point, Washington and Girard battle for back-up minutes.

At the 2 guard, Brycen Goodine probably starts, Buddy is the third guard.

At the forward, it's going to be really interesting.

Brissett should still be here, but might be down to 25 minutes a game to give other guys a chance.

Then you have Hughes, who can play the 2 or the 3.

You have Quincy Guerrier, who may be our best newcomer.

And you have Braswell, who is surely good enough to get some spot minutes and get a chance.

And you Dolzaj, who deserves 25-30 minutes a game, just because he makes the ball move on offense and he does so many little things. He's like Kristof Ongenaet with offensive skills. I love this guy. He is our best glue guy since Josh Pace, and I hope he doesn't leave to play in Europe next year.

Then you have Ajak, Sidibe, maybe a late addition and Marek for the center.

There will be a lot of competition on next year's squad. I just hope JB gives them all a fair chance not just at the beginning, but throughout the season.
dude, you really think buddy isn't gonna start next year?

well there were no other point guards on the syracuse roster when little gerry was a frosh except of course for billy edelin who due to sanctions arrived late appearing in only 24 games. i haven't seen girard play but i hope he's as polished as gerry was as a frosh. but there are guards in front of him next year.

Yeah, Carey only shot 44% on 86 attempts in EYBL. So, he wasn't a slouch from behind the arc. But, perhaps tellingly, Carey only shot 62% from the FT line while Buddy was nearly 90%. Goodine was near 80% in AAU, so maybe that jumper will translate better for him.

I didn't know Carey was so prolific behind the arc. I'm surprised so many have said with confidence that he can't shoot based on 21 3's this year. His form looks good so this is a pretty good omen for next season, imo. We'll have more shooters than I thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
well there were no other point guards on the syracuse roster when little gerry was a frosh except of course for billy edelin who due to sanctions arrived late appearing in only 24 games. i haven't seen girard play but i hope he's as polished as gerry was as a frosh. but there are guards in front of him next year.
He was a decent placeholder that season who merely lucked into his minutes. If he had any talent, he might have made 9 or 10 threes in the first half against Kansas.

gerry mac. ronneil herron. xavier gaines. tyrone albright. andrew kouwe. those were the pg's available before billy arrives late into 2002/3. herron and kouwe had both logged 2 whole minutes the previous season.
albright and gaines were frosh. other guards josh pace and kueth duany logged minutes at the 2. neither was a point and actually more aptly labeled 2/3 swing. so the comparison to jg3 stepping into a starting role ...

Last edited:
It seems like he'd be handed the keys next year and should therefore not be thinking about transferring, but I also would definitely not be surprised if he did. He's been totally blacklisted this year, even with absolutely pathetic PG play in front of him. I know that wouldn't make me happy, so I can't imagine him being all that happy about it either.
Oh come on. The same thing has happened to Quinerly at Nova, and he was a top 20 PG.

If that is the case than Carey should transfer now. This is the worst aspect of JB's coaching IMO. I think Carey was totally misused this year. He should have received a steady diet of 10-12 minutes. If I hear one more "Carey will be handed the keys next year" Im going to scream. Lots of people point to MCW but I thought he was totally misused his freshmen year also. At most programs Top 100 recruit Freshmen rarely sit the bench anymore unless they get hurt.
Not true. Lots of top 100 freshman don’t play.

i guess my problem with the jalen carey DNP's this season is that if you as head coach truly think he's so bad that he's gonna cost you a victory if he plays even 5 minutes with a double digit lead then maybe this is a guy you don't truly believe in and probably shouldn't even have on your team. jalen will be a sophomore in grade and yet a basically a frosh when it comes to game play next year. i don't get the lack of confidence.
and you're beating his down rather than building it up.

i guess my problem with the jalen carey DNP's this season is that if you as head coach truly think he's so bad that he's gonna cost you a victory if he plays even 5 minutes with a double digit lead then maybe this is a guy you don't truly believe in and probably shouldn't even have on your team. jalen will be a sophomore in grade and yet a basically a frosh when it comes to game play next year. i don't get the lack of confidence.
and you're beating his down rather than building it up.
That's a lot of nonsense. Carey got plenty of minutes for half the season and then played his way into his current role. He won't essentially be a freshman next season no matter how often you say it. And plenty of highly regarded freshman at SU and other schools have had similar experiences in their first year and have gone on to have impactful sophomore seasons and great college careers.

One hasn't played a college game yet, and the other played 35 minutes per game and was the third-leading scorer on a national championship team.
Well yeah. I meant before the season started.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom