Point guard next year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Point guard next year

You just refuted your own argument.

Carey was misused this year. MCW was misused his freshman year.

MCW had a stellar year (12 PPG, 7.3 A, 2.7 St, 5 RB) in his soph year, but Carey should transfer?

You are right, MCW did have a really good year as a Soph. I was just responding to the idea that Carey will continue to get yanked after each mistake next year also. To me no kid should have to go through that type of treatment/coaching, especially highly touted recruits. Confidence is crucial but can be a fragile thing for these guys who never seem to have to deal with adversity. Its ok to chew them out, but let em play through the mistakes, especially with all the other mediocre choices on the team this year.

If we would recruit point guards these debates would be easier to settle. Anyway, Carey will be the PG. I have no doubt. None.

:)

Although if OB sticks around I'm guessing we try him at the position...……..because, well, that's just how we do.

The thing I would really like to see us use next year are more 3-guard lineups - putting multiple guys who can shoot it together on the court. For example, I’m thinking Carey/Goodine, Buddy and Girard - with maybe Hughes and Marek rounding out the 5 on the floor. Or Girard, Buddy and Hughes together with Guerrier/Braswell and Marek. I know that we would suffer on the defensive end and likely lose the rebounding battle with these lineups... but we seem to be getting our behinds handed to us on the boards, anyway these days (when we’re basically sacrificing offense to keep 2 bigs on the court together).

This year, I think we’ve had too many minutes with Oshae, Marek and Paschal/Sidibe lineups - and with Oshae’s struggles this year that has left us with 3 non-scorers/poor shooters on the court for long stretches of time. We never seem to “go small”, even though our opponents routinely do. UVA starts a 5’9” kid, a 6’2” kid and a 6’5” kid. According to kenpom, that lineup is on the floor together for them almost 35% of the time. Clemson plays 3 guys together a lot that are all 6’4” or smaller. Same with Louisville. Hell, NC State’s most-used lineup has 4 guys on the court together that are all 6’5” or smaller. Can Boeheim find a way to evolve the zone to allow us to play smaller - with better shooters on the floor? That, to me, is his biggest challenge going forward with next year’s team.
and playing the big line up we still usually get pounded on the glass.

If we would recruit point guards these debates would be easier to settle. Anyway, Carey will be the PG. I have no doubt. None.

:)

Although if OB sticks around I'm guessing we try him at the position...……..because, well, that's just how we do.

Again. OB is going nowhere.

Well, he is a shooting guard. That is what we want out of a shooting guard. And he has put the ball on the deck later in the season. I was hopeful that you could put your feelings for his dad away from Buddy.
He's our Chris Carter. All he does is make shots

You are right, MCW did have a really good year as a Soph. I was just responding to the idea that Carey will continue to get yanked after each mistake next year also. To me no kid should have to go through that type of treatment/coaching, especially highly touted recruits. Confidence is crucial but can be a fragile thing for these guys who never seem to have to deal with adversity. Its ok to chew them out, but let em play through the mistakes, especially with all the other mediocre choices on the team this year.

Carey was averaging close to 20 mpg through mid January.

He played through plenty of mistakes.

I think his 3 turnovers in 7 minute stint at Duke was the end of that. I think it reached “ kid is going to cost us the game if he’s in there too long” levels at that point.

Jalen had a ton of chances for 2 months. I think blaming the coach is unfair.

Carey was averaging close to 20 mpg through mid January.

He played through plenty of mistakes.

I think his 3 turnovers in 7 minute stint at Duke was the end of that. I think it reached “ kid is going to cost us the game if he’s in there too long” levels at that point.

Jalen had a ton of chances for 2 months. I think blaming the coach is unfair.
If only JB had allowed Carey to play through his mistakes the kid could have helped lead this team to the bubble.

If only JB had allowed Carey to play through his mistakes the kid could have helped lead this team to the bubble.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

We’ve gone after athletes for years and they can’t shoot into the ocean from 3. Battle included. MCW before him. It’s part of the reason we’re in this mess to begin with.

Complaining about a freshman averaging 8ppg in conference play is a little weird.
In fact his defensive metrics have him defending better than Battle this year and on par with Howard

Getting guys who can actually put the ball in the hoop from 25 feet is a breath of fresh air considering we’ve been seeing it against us for 10 years and is exactly how Villanova won their titles.
I’m certainly not complaining about Buddy. Come on. He’s played FAR better than I would’ve imagined.

I’m just worried that his athleticism next to another lesser athlete in Washington is not something that I think would work. I want a slippery quick PG that can penetrate and kick to Buddy and Eli. Buddy sometimes looks like he’s got cement shoes on when teams drive or swing the ball quickly. Hopefully he can work on that because it is a concern. The wet J will always play but if he’s going to emerge as a better player, he’s gotta improve other areas of his game and body.

I’m certainly not complaining about Buddy. Come on. He’s played FAR better than I would’ve imagined.

I’m just worried that his athleticism next to another lesser athlete in Washington is not something that I think would work. I want a slippery quick PG that can penetrate and kick to Buddy and Eli. Buddy sometimes looks like he’s got cement shoes on when teams drive or swing the ball wuickly. Hopefully he can work on that because it is a concern. The wet J will always play but if he’s going to emerge as a better player, he’s gotta improve other areas of his game and body.

Eh. Sims and Janulis worked.

GMac and Edelin worked.

Just get ballplayers.

Give me a Sherman Douglas 2.0. All day long. Penetrate, dish, knock down 3 points, uptempo and crazy creative passes. Man he was fun to watch back in the day.

I’m just worried that his athleticism next to another lesser athlete in Washington is not something that I think would work. I want a slippery quick PG that can penetrate and kick to Buddy and Eli. Buddy sometimes looks like he’s got cement shoes on when teams drive or swing the ball quickly. Hopefully he can work on that because it is a concern. The wet J will always play but if he’s going to emerge as a better player, he’s gotta improve other areas of his game and body.

I think we want to keep Buddy in the role he is in this year for another season coming off the bench and of course if hes hot he stays in longer. Jr and Sr years he should be able to handle 30 mins a night and starting but next year IDK. Hes limited enough that if the rest of his game improves but the shooting regresses hes not going to be a better player. Can he handle the other teams best defender in his grill not allowing him to get a shot off all night and still contribute?

I think we want to keep Buddy in the role he is in this year for another season coming off the bench and of course if hes hot he stays in longer. Jr and Sr years he should be able to handle 30 mins a night and starting but next year IDK. Hes limited enough that if the rest of his game improves but the shooting regresses hes not going to be a better player. Can he handle the other teams best defender in his grill not allowing him to get a shot off all night and still contribute?
Agree with what your saying but if he comes off the bench is goodine or whoever starts over him gonna be good enough

Was Carey known as a bad shooter coming out of high school?
yes. He was a slasher, not a shooter.

Last edited:
Agree with what your saying but if he comes off the bench is goodine or whoever starts over him gonna be good enough

Eli-OB-Marek as 2-4 is my guess for what happens and we pick up a 5 grad transfer or start Sid/Ajak. Eli will be at the 2 unless Buddy is in the game shifting him to the 3.

3 way competition for the PG between Girard, Carey, and Goodine. Not many minutes for whomever is 3rd best.

9 man rotation
Starting PG (one of those 3)
Eli
OB
Marek
Starting Center

Buddy
Guerrier
Backup C
Backup PG

The 4 bench guys all play a good amount and close to 15 mins/game.

One of those 3 guards will rarely play and we will have a 3rd string center who doesn't play a lot either could be Sid or Ajak.

2 things could change this drastically. 1 is those 3 PGs not being ready. We'll be a mess and it'll be a revolving door with them and HW and the season will be over in early December. The other is the centers stink and Marek has to play there. This will force Buddy or Geurrier into the starting lineup and have our starters 2-5 playing 30 a game.

Eli-OB-Marek as 2-4 is my guess for what happens and we pick up a 5 grad transfer or start Sid/Ajak. Eli will be at the 2 unless Buddy is in the game shifting him to the 3.

3 way competition for the PG between Girard, Carey, and Goodine. Not many minutes for whomever is 3rd best.

9 man rotation
Starting PG (one of those 3)
Eli
OB
Marek
Starting Center

Buddy
Guerrier
Backup C
Backup PG

The 4 bench guys all play a good amount and close to 15 mins/game.

One of those 3 guards will rarely play and we will have a 3rd string center who doesn't play a lot either could be Sid or Ajak.

2 things could change this drastically. 1 is those 3 PGs not being ready. We'll be a mess and it'll be a revolving door with them and HW and the season will be over in early December. The other is the centers stink and Marek has to play there. This will force Buddy or Geurrier into the starting lineup and have our starters 2-5 playing 30 a game.
Sounds good except JB only plays 7.5 players during ACC play

Sounds good except JB only plays 7.5 players during ACC play

It could turn to that. If one guy emerges as the clear cut best option at PG hes going to play 35 mins a game and if Guerrier shows hes good enough for 30 mins per the rotation will shrink very quickly.

The backup PG might struggle to get more than 5 mins per ditto the backup center with Marek playing those minutes at the 5 if Buddy is in at 2 and 2 of Eli/Guerrier/OB are in the game as well.

In our offense the number 1 criteria for the PG is being able to penetrate, beat your man off the dribble. It is critical. It is why we play best with Tyus at the point this year. If JC can regain control the job is his. If not Goodine.

It seems like he'd be handed the keys next year and should therefore not be thinking about transferring, but I also would definitely not be surprised if he did. He's been totally blacklisted this year, even with absolutely pathetic PG play in front of him. I know that wouldn't make me happy, so I can't imagine him being all that happy about it either.

This comment would be fair if caret had played well but the fact is that he has not demonstrated an understanding of how to play point guard, including if not especially the game when he scored 26. The type of mistakes he made were really bad. That does not mean he can’t or won’t get there or that he has not shown other skill but on the information available at time it was no brainer to go with frank. Obviously in hindsight now suggests maybe not.

This comment would be fair if caret had played well but the fact is that he has not demonstrated an understanding of how to play point guard, including if not especially the game when he scored 26. The type of mistakes he made were really bad. That does not mean he can’t or won’t get there or that he has not shown other skill but on the information available at time it was no brainer to go with frank. Obviously in hindsight now suggests maybe not.

To clarify, I don't really think that Carey earned much more playing time than the zero he is currently getting, as his play left A LOT to be desired. Just pointing out that our PG situation is a dumpster fire and he still can't get any burn. He has to at least look at that and wonder why he's not out there at all.

Goodine will.
Hope you're right. But, watching his videos; he makes MCW's shooting form look like Steph Curry's, and at his height, may find ACC ball pressure challenging in his first season...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom