Poll: Do We Even Want To Be In The NIT? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Poll: Do We Even Want To Be In The NIT?

Poll: Do We Even Want To Be In The NIT?

• Total voters
SU won't turn it down because the University won't let them do it but playing in the NIT is aboslutely pointless. Outside of 3 dozen people 90% of which are on this board absolutely no one cares and the team will care less. I doubt Mintz even plays in it, he's gonna hit the portal Monday probably by Friday morning. Sorry but I'll take a hard pass on watching Taylor Carey and Copeland battle Drake or whoever in an empty carrier dome.
Drake is in the NCAA tourney

Didn’t you just praise JJ? We’re closer to Louisville with players like that than UNC.

Yes, lets pile it on the local kid who scored in the double digits 15 of our last 16 games and improved from last year, and over the course of this season, to a 32% + three point shooter.

Boy does that suck.

Way worse than our rebounding, lack of a big man, composure and interior defense.

Unpopular opinion based on the poll: I will be pissed if we turn down the opportunity to play more games. Turning it down and anyone who opts out (maybe an exception for someone who is a consensus draft pick, which we don’t have) tells me that the program/player doesn’t really love basketball. It’s like someone who says they love traveling, but turns down a trip to Europe because it’s an economy ticket and not first class. You probably love comfort and luxury, not travel. It’s not necessarily wrong. Of course we all want the team to play in the first class tournament. I just want to support a program that prides itself on loving basketball. We are not a program that loves basketball if we turn down an opportunity to play more games.

The portal opens on March 18th. The priority right now should be the roster. This isn’t 2008 where you want to get freshman and younger guys more game time for next season. Fix the roster, the NIT has no benefit to P5 programs in 2024.
Will playing 2 games/week really derail recruiting efforts? Will teams in the NCAA tournament also be at a recruiting disadvantage?

NIT very very unlikely. Our NET is too low. There are too many ACC schools ahead of us who won't get into the NCAAT. A 20 win season is good even though the team played horrendous at times, like last night. I believe the preseason over/under betting line was only 13 wins.

We are very likely getting an invite.

The site NIT Bracketology who puts more comments into this than anybody should, as of yesterday gave at larges to Boston College, Minnesota, NC St, Washington, Appalachian St, Florida St and LSU. That's how wide the field will be for P6 teams.

I'm not sure if you fully comprehend the changes to the NIT - its far from all NET based.

- NET only selects 12 of the 32 teams. The rest is still resume based.
- Since the NIT dropped the "auto-qualifier" for small conference regular season champs, that opens up about 10 spots from prior years (perhaps a few more)
- The NIT will basically become the P6 invitational.
- NIT Bracketology has 23! of the 32 schools in the NIT being from the p6

Since there are typically about 14 schools in the NCAA tournament that wouldn't be good enough for either the NCAA or the NIT, if not for the NCAA auto-bid that typically means the top 86 schools get in one of the tournament.

Our NET is 88, but its much easier to find teams above us with poor resumes, than vice versa.

This will be my only post on this topic - not worth more time arguing for this particular tournament.

Last edited:
If they do make it, I won't be watching. It is disturbing how far we have fallen. Wake me up if/when we're ever relevant again.

I’d be interested in seeing the team play only if Judah senates himself and doesn’t play.

Chris Bell: “I mean, I love to play basketball so of course, I’m interested in playing in the NIT. I don’t want this to stop. I feel like we’ve had a great season. And just continue to grow with whatever we do, whether it’s going into spring workouts or those type of things.”

JJ Starling: “I guess it’s hard to say. Because I know me personally, my thought process is we’re a much better team. I don’t think we really deserve to be playing in the NIT. But at the same time, it’s a great opportunity to keep playing with each other and continue the season. "

Justin Taylor: “Of course, I think we’re all a competitive group. We all want to win as many games as possible, so if it was an option I think we all would want to play, just because of our competitiveness.”

Judah Mintz: “It’s up to Coach, it’s not up to me. I’m a part of the team, so if the team plays, I play.”
Nice quote from Bell. Gives me hope he returns.

Yes-
Want to see if this team doubles down on last night's debacle, or "brings it".
Goal: clearer projection for the team's character and mindset for next season, and for coaching adjustments.
Yet, if half the team already has one foot in the portal, suppose another game is irrelevant.

The thing about this team is that at times it teased you into thinking it could really round into shape, but then we'd have ugly losses to teams we shouldn't have lost to. At other times it is like the guys didn't even bother to show up to important games.

For all the good things that happened this year, twenty wins was an accomplishment, yesterday's game leaves you with a sick feeling in your gut because the team disintegrated just at the point where it needed to buckle down. And there seemed too much intramural tension and squabbling. They seemed undisciplined and not like a unit that had melded over an entire season- how else do you explain the number of ugly unforced turnovers.

It's another year of SU MBB being totally irrelevant. Reds got at least a couple of more seasons to show us whether he's got the right stuff, or not. The bottom line is, he really did seem to squeeze the most he could out of a group that had too many flaws to overcome. But, now HIS recruits are starting to come on board, and his philosophy is the foundation for whatever they achieve, or don't.

Really do need to start seeing our program coming together next year to the extent that folks begin to get the sense that SU basketball is on the ascent.

Should we play in the NIT Tournament? If we do I will for sure watch, it's just that this team has frustrated me too much that if we don't I am perfectly happy to wait for next year in the hope that Red can start getting us back on track.

Why in gods name would anyone want to watch this team play in the nit? They quit tonight and they are gonna now rally to play an nit game?

Lol

Because there are many here that rather choose to view this team as one that was close to getting a 4 seed in the ACC Tournament, etc., versus what that actually says about the ACC and the quality of its league.

Because there are many here that rather choose to view this team as one that nearly got a 4 seed in the ACC Tournament, etc., versus what that actually says about the ACC and the quality of its league.
this team quit last night. Read between the lines on Judah's response when asked if he wanted to play in the NIT. Seeing a lot of this team isnt gonna be back next season just end it and move on. Better times ahead

Because there are many here that rather choose to view this team as one that was close to getting a 4 seed in the ACC Tournament, etc., versus what that actually says about the ACC and the quality of its league.

Because there are fans of the program who support their team for better or for worse.

I know a guy who used to drive to Albany every weekend to watch his daughter play Field Hockey for RPI, and they didn't win a game her entire senior year.

Yes, lets pile it on the local kid who scored in the double digits 15 of our last 16 games and improved from last year, and over the course of this season, to a 32% + three point shooter.

Boy does that suck.

Way worse than our rebounding, lack of a big man, composure and interior defense.
lol, you’re using “boy does that suck” in sarcasm, yeah he did suck down the stretch, and if you don’t think he does then it makes your statement poo pooing Louisville even though JJ is a Louisville player at best.

Because there are fans of the program who support their team for better or for worse.

I know a guy who used to drive to Albany every weekend to watch his daughter play Field Hockey for RPI, and they didn't win a game her entire senior year.
Just a tad different when it’s your child.

Yep, and that's the camp I'm in. Yeah, last night was an embarrassment. I'm also getting tired of a couple of the personalities on the team. I think this is a team that quits at times. That all said, they wear orange and I will support that to the end, even if that means an NIT game or two. It can't hurt and could help players like Cuffe and Carey get additional minutes that they desperately need (provided these two are coming back).

Boy does that suck.

He was a much improved and pretty efficient scorer in conference. Red needs pieces like that going forward. That said, he has work to do defensively, and would probably benefit from not being asked to play 35 minutes a night.

I think Red could use a bit more experience as a coach...
Guys like Mintz and Copeland could learn to control their emotions during a game.
Let's find out if Carey is of any value going into 24/25. Cuffe as well

I voted yes, although I'm not sure I'd actually watch. I would be interested in seeing them do what they should do, which is start Q at the point, not play Judah if he's portaling, and give Carey meaningful minutes.

This gives me an idea. The NCAA should change the rules on redshirts so that the NIT doesn't kill your redshirt year. I think we'd all be a lot more interested in the NIT if Westry and Patterson could play.

1 - Westry/Q
2 - Starling/Cuffe
3 - Bell/Taylor
4 - Brown/Carey
5 - Patterson/Carey

I'd tune in to watch that rotation for sure.

I voted yes, although I'm not sure I'd actually watch. I would be interested in seeing them do what they should do, which is start Q at the point, not play Judah if he's portaling, and give Carey meaningful minutes.

This gives me an idea. The NCAA should change the rules on redshirts so that the NIT doesn't kill your redshirt year. I think we'd all be a lot more interested in the NIT if Westry and Patterson could play.

1 - Westry/Q
2 - Starling/Cuffe
3 - Bell/Taylor
4 - Brown/Carey
5 - Patterson/Carey

I'd tune in to watch that rotation for sure.

With some NIT teams likely losing some players to the portal before they play, that might be a necessity to get playable teams in the tournament.

We are 89 in the net. The NIT is not happening

The NIT is happening for a majority of Boston College, LSU, Appalachian St, Washington, Minnesota, SMU, Florida St and Indiana, a number of which have NET's right around or worse than 89... or have worst resumes than us.

32 teams got to get in, and with no more auto's its a hard tourney to fill.

I wouldn't say its guaranteed because there will be a few NIT bubble busters from small conferences, but chances are quite high.

If one of those is out, next in line per this site is this: Xavier, Maryland, Duquesne, Saint Joseph's, Massachusetts, St. Bonaventure, North Texas, Yale, Cornell

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom