Poll: Do We Even Want To Be In The NIT? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Poll: Do We Even Want To Be In The NIT?

Poll: Do We Even Want To Be In The NIT?

• Total voters
SU won't turn it down because the University won't let them do it but playing in the NIT is aboslutely pointless. Outside of 3 dozen people 90% of which are on this board absolutely no one cares and the team will care less. I doubt Mintz even plays in it, he's gonna hit the portal Monday probably by Friday morning. Sorry but I'll take a hard pass on watching Taylor Carey and Copeland battle Drake or whoever in an empty carrier dome.
I assume Mintz will announce that he’s declaring for the draft once the season is over.

Apparently these coaches have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time. There’s no reason you can’t do both.
That is EXACTLY it, Red and Company better be prepared to do both. Pound that portal hard and prepare a team for the NIT, if we get in. We are creating a culture here, and taking the easy way is not part of that culture.

The NIT is only taking the Top 2 NET rated ACC teams for guaranteed home games. Unless the ACC gets more NCAA bids we might not even get invited.

BC, NCSt, VTech and UVA are above us in NET.

I suspect our brand cachet gets us in but no guarantees.
According to the Barking Crow, we have a 100 percent chance of an invite. Come on, the NET is only one factor in the selection.

That is EXACTLY it, Red and Company better be prepared to do both. Pound that portal hard and prepare a team for the NIT, if we get in. We are creating a culture here, and taking the easy way is not part of that culture.
Although this is why we do need a basketball GM going forward. That hire should be a priority for Red and Wildhack this offseason.

At the very minimum, which I’m sure has been stated many times, it’s great experience for a very young team. Some of this team will be staying. To turn down a post season opportunity is just crazy.
Is it though? Better experience is the 30 games just played.

Although this is why we do need a basketball GM going forward. That hire should be a priority for Red and Wildhack this offseason.
Absolutely, things are different than they were 20-30 years ago. There are so many moving parts to keep track of. We need to find someone that is on point and keeps us ahead of everyone else. No sense keeping up, figure out how to get ahead.

Is it though? Better experience is the 30 games just played.
Yes it is. We need to be a 365 day program and when we get the call to play, we should be ready to go. There is literally every reason for us to accept an invite and be excited to watch and see what we can do: young team, new coach, and no NCAAT or NIT since 2021. Maybe the team behind closed doors have been focused on preparing for the NIT and locked in. It’s rare that we pretty much know already we will be in this tournament. Tough to lock in for this tournament after dealing with what feels like a tourney snub.

I assume Mintz will announce that he’s declaring for the draft once the season is over.

Think there's more money for him portaling then the draft if he's smart he can easily get a mill + the next 2 years

The deeper you end up in the NIT the less time you have attacking the portal. It's a double edged sword, do you want to play more meaningless games with whatever core you have or do you want to focus on the portal? With half our rotation expected to leave, I rather not play in the NIT.

he'll likely sit out to avoid injury before the G League selection show.

The deeper you end up in the NIT the less time you have attacking the portal. It's a double edged sword, do you want to play more meaningless games with whatever core you have or do you want to focus on the portal? With half our rotation expected to leave, I rather not play in the NIT.
well also the worse you are the less likely you will attract talent who want to actually win.

Not as important as the NCAAT, yes. These are not meaningless games though. You think UConn isn’t going to be focused on the portal even if they are making a deep run in the NCAAT. To be great, we need to be a develop a culture that is willing to play games regardless of where and when and be able to multitask game preparation and the portal.

Not as important as the NCAAT, yes. These are not meaningless games though. You think UConn isn’t going to be focused on the portal even if they are making a deep run in the NCAAT. To be great, we need to be a develop a culture that is willing to play games regardless of where and when and be able to multitask game preparation and the portal.
20 years ago the NIT was important, now a days it's kind of meaningless. What's the point of developing a group in the NIT when half of the "core" is expected to leave? It just takes time away from diving into portal options. The only post season tournament that actually matters is the NCAA Tourney.

I think you definitely play. First, these are games…call more plays for Starling, give Cuffe more run, play Brown at the 4 (with Carey at the 5) and run plays for Brown, have Bell try some more moving shots off of screens ….consider this the first building block for next year. Second, there are some teams from the Big 12, Big 10, PAC 12, ACC and Big East that will make this interesting. A third of the current active players in the NCAA will be in the portal. There will be plenty to choose from that can make a difference.

We will decline based on not being able to field a team. 8 Lives bodies and walk ons left as I type right now. Let's say we have 1 opt out with Judah and 1 more injury with Peter "Mr Glass" Carey. Now we're talking playing 6 guys. 5 guards + Brown. What is to gain except frustration and risking injury to Brown having to play on an island for 40 mins.

Seeing Cuffe get a few more mins or Carey get pushed to the ground isn't needed. Maybe you could argue Q and JJ could use some practice at the point. Realistically though it will look like a shootaround exhibition game because we aren't going to play any defense.

I think Coach just gave us our answer.

They don't seem to want to play anymore, so what's the point?
With the current group of players nothing will be gained by playing more games this year. Call it a day and start looking in the portal. All 4 centers can be gone, Chance, Brown, Cuffe, JJ, plus Freeman and Moore are a start for next year. Taylor is a good teammate, and we have 13 roster spots so bring him back.
Get six players from the portal and start over.

The issue would be if those expected to enter the portal want to sit out to avoid injuries, or if they play they play to avoid any contact plus they have mentally checked out, we need to sit these guys so as to avoid a toxic team from self imploding. Are there enough bodies including walk ons to field a team so the portal bound players can be excluded?

I was a soft yes on the NIT earlier in the season, indifferent as the season was close to ending, and now I'm a hard no on the NIT. At least 3 of 6 guys who play are transferring - there's no point. And I don't want to see us get routed because these guys are more concerned about their next destination.

The bubble shrunk yesterday as 4 teams won conference tourneys who were never going to get bids. There's a chance for 2 more today. As teams that were previously last 4 or last 8 in get left out now they get pushed into the NIT. I have a hard time seeing how Cuse gets into the NIT now.
How sad is it for our program that with 100 post season bids to the 2 tourneys we can't even make that? Good grief, how far we have fallen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom