Portal QB Treasure Hunting | Syracusefan.com

Portal QB Treasure Hunting

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
Hope this isn't redundant but wanted a place to specifically discuss possible QBs that Syracuse can look to add. Even if you like Shrader going forward, depth is never a bad thing. I, on the other hand, like a couple of the guys out there to be potential starters. Some info here from 24/7 sports.

• Parker McQuarrie - 6-7, 220-pound Pro-Style Quarterback from Weare, NH. He's coming from all the way over at UCLA. Maybe the idea of a starting opportunity much closer to home would appeal to him? Looks like BC is interested.

Big, long frame pushing boundary of quarterback size. Comfortable under center and in shotgun. Has touch on intermediate and long throws. Release is compact, quick and high. Gets through progressions. Poised and has pocket awareness. Can extend plays sliding in pocket. Rhythm passer. Has tendency to be stationary. Needs to improve arm strength and trust his arm on short throws. Must increase strength. Accuracy, comfort throwing on move needs work. Eventual starter at Power 5 program. Could develop into an NFL free agent.

• Jack Plummer - 6-5, 185-pound Pro-Style Quarterback from Gilbert, AZ. NOT related to Jake (it's a thing). Coming from Purdue. May be a long haul to expect a kid from Suburban PHX to want to play here.

Much more of a pass first QB. Good above average arm. Was named QB1 at Purdue in the preseason but then utimately was not given the job.

• Jordan Yates - 6-1, 186-pound Dual-Threat Quarterback from Alpharetta, GA.
    If we absolutely insist on a dual threat guy, Yates may be an option. He seems like an actual, legit dual threat guy in that he actually can throw as well as he can run.

Hope this isn't redundant but wanted a place to specifically discuss possible QBs that Syracuse can look to add. Even if you like Shrader going forward, depth is never a bad thing. I, on the other hand, like a couple of the guys out there to be potential starters. Some info here from 24/7 sports.

• Parker McQuarrie - 6-7, 220-pound Pro-Style Quarterback from Weare, NH. He's coming from all the way over at UCLA. Maybe the idea of a starting opportunity much closer to home would appeal to him? Looks like BC is interested.

Big, long frame pushing boundary of quarterback size. Comfortable under center and in shotgun. Has touch on intermediate and long throws. Release is compact, quick and high. Gets through progressions. Poised and has pocket awareness. Can extend plays sliding in pocket. Rhythm passer. Has tendency to be stationary. Needs to improve arm strength and trust his arm on short throws. Must increase strength. Accuracy, comfort throwing on move needs work. Eventual starter at Power 5 program. Could develop into an NFL free agent.

• Jack Plummer - 6-5, 185-pound Pro-Style Quarterback from Gilbert, AZ. NOT related to Jake (it's a thing). Coming from Purdue. May be a long haul to expect a kid from Suburban PHX to want to play here.

Much more of a pass first QB. Good above average arm. Was named QB1 at Purdue in the preseason but then utimately was not given the job.

• Jordan Yates - 6-1, 186-pound Dual-Threat Quarterback from Alpharetta, GA.
    If we absolutely insist on a dual threat guy, Yates may be an option. He seems like an actual, legit dual threat guy in that he actually can throw as well as he can run.

The First Law of the Transfer Portal is that transfer tend to choose a new school closer to their hometown than their initial choice.

The Second Law of the Transfer Portal is that the schools like initially offered a transfer have a big advantage on schools that did not. They have established a relationship, the recruit has likely visited there and there is something to build on.

The Third Law of the Transfer Portal is that schools with an open starting position have a huge advantage over schools with an established starter at the transfer position.

So science says of this group, McQuarrie is the most likely to come here.

Taisun Phommachanh just hit the portal. From CT. Never amounted to much at Clemson since he was stuck behind Lawrence and then DJ. We offered along with basically everyone else. I think he's got 3 years of eligibility left if I'm looking at it right. 2019 would be redshirt year, 2020 was covid year so this year he should have been a 3rd year freshman.​

The Third Law of the Transfer Portal is that schools with an open starting position have a huge advantage over schools with an established starter at the transfer position.

On this one, you'd assume schools like Ole Miss, Pitt, maybe Purdue (if that dude leaves) will have their pick of the litter. Showcased their starters and I don't think they have much behind them.

On this one, you'd assume schools like Ole Miss, Pitt, maybe Purdue (if that dude leaves) will have their pick of the litter. Showcased their starters and I don't think they have much behind them.
Agree. I would be surprised if we got a starting QB from a P5 school to transfer here. If we get someone, which we probably will, he is going to be from an FCS school, or a backup from a P5 school (that we likely offered out of HS).

Or a QB that comes with our new OC as a delightful Christmas package deal.

Taisun Phommachanh just hit the portal. From CT. Never amounted to much at Clemson since he was stuck behind Lawrence and then DJ. We offered along with basically everyone else. I think he's got 3 years of eligibility left if I'm looking at it right. 2019 would be redshirt year, 2020 was covid year so this year he should have been a 3rd year freshman.​

Missed this.

He's a guy I would offer the starting gig to. Very very good player. Legit arm.

Fully agree. I think Lane will have his choice of guys and would assume it's probably Dillon Gabriel based on having his OC from UCF.

Wow… Quinn Ewers is leaving Ohio State… he was #1 recruit in his class. Wonder if Texas will get him back.

Wow… Quinn Ewers is leaving Ohio State… he was #1 recruit in his class. Wonder if Texas will get him back.
Not a bad consolation prize for Arch Manning sweepstakes

He was never a fit there, in between Lawrence and DJ U

If he was smarter, he would have contended right after Dungey left for the job at SU

I think schools like Syracuse can really benefit from more player freedom.
No reason the 4 star QB’s blocked at selector schools don’t start regularly landing at the second tier P5 teams.

I think schools like Syracuse can really benefit from more player freedom.
No reason the 4 star QB’s blocked at selector schools don’t start regularly landing at the second tier P5 teams.
Cuse hasn't been a second tier P5 team in over two decades. More like tier 4 at this point

Cuse hasn't been a second tier P5 team in over two decades. More like tier 4 at this point
Ok poor choice of words by me. I meant bottom half of P5 schools.

Point is there are good QBs who want a chance to start at a P5 team and should land at Cuse, or Duke as opposed to going G5

The First Law of the Transfer Portal is that transfer tend to choose a new school closer to their hometown than their initial choice.

The Second Law of the Transfer Portal is that the schools like initially offered a transfer have a big advantage on schools that did not. They have established a relationship, the recruit has likely visited there and there is something to build on.

So science says of this group, McQuarrie is the most likely to come here.
I feel like I am challenging a SyracuseFan Mt Rushmore member in Tomcat but Syracuse has gotten transfers purely based on the coaching relationships (e.g. Cavanaugh to get Bleich, Sterling to get Shrader, Babers/Martin to get Koda) or system (the WRs we got early in Babers tenure.)

Any major portal catches we get will come from pure need (DL) and the new OC. Maybe some Tony White or Michigan St WR coach magic.

That’s it.

Ok poor choice of words by me. I meant bottom half of P5 schools.

Point is there are good QBs who want a chance to start at a P5 team and should land at Cuse, or Duke as opposed to going G5
I'd love for you to be right on this. It'll be interesting to see how everything unfolds over the next few seasons with this free for all

So where does Tommy end up when the music stops? A lot of productive QBs hitting the portal. Do we face him at Wagner or UConn next year?

If we are shopping, which we should be every year for QBs, I still want the duel threat. Our lines are not good enough for a Pro style/pure pocket QB and I like having a qb who can break off a 30 yard scramble as well as throw a decent ball.

I e always said that as much dysfunction as there is in the portal… there’s also opportunity. Struggling P5 schools who are aggressive will have the opportunity to upgrade their roster.

Add the NIL - and there’s real potential.

Downside, your top performers and disgruntled recruits have an easy out.

Our window was last year's portal. We tried with OL depth and struck out (Tyler, Shears).

We didn't make a play for help at WR or DL (Roscoe was 2020).

We didn't make a play for secondary.

Now we are hurting for depth and talent at secondary thanks to NFL (good) and transfers. Hurting at DL due to graduation and transfer. Hurting at WR thanks to transfer and performance.

All of these could have and should have been addressed in last year's transfer cycle.

Now here we are swinging and missing on our top target transfers. Hoping we can land enough to have a competitive starting 22 with just enough luck and depth to survive next year.

If we are shopping, which we should be every year for QBs, I still want the duel threat. Our lines are not good enough for a Pro style/pure pocket QB and I like having a qb who can break off a 30 yard scramble as well as throw a decent ball.
Dual threat is fine. But Dual means throw too. I'm tired of QBs who are really running threats and who, of we are lucky, eventually learn to throw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom