Portland Carmelo | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Portland Carmelo

Either way I do think 8 would be where he lands end of his career. Even if he plays two more years after this one i don't think he breaks past Wilt.
Yeah, bumping Shaq out of 8 is a great goal for both his game's legacy and the kind of career longevity he'd need to get there from here.

It's a big jump from Shaq to Wilt on this list.

At his current ppg average he would move up to 9th at the end of this year. My guess is that he finishes his career 8th. At least until guys like Durant/Harden and Curry enter the mix.
I don't know if Curry will ever get there. He started a lot later than the other guys and is quite a ways behind. He's number 98 on the NBA/ABA list.

You know who's a lot higher than I would have thought? LaMarcus Aldridge. He's #51.

I don't know if Curry will ever get there. He started a lot later than the other guys and is quite a ways behind. He's number 98 on the NBA/ABA list.

You know who's a lot higher than I would have thought? LaMarcus Aldridge. He's #51.
The ABA thing is a pet peeve of mine, obviously. Those statistics are recognized, so the combined NBA/ABA lists are the ones that should be used for career purposes. Melo still trails Dan Issel and Julius Erving in scoring, but did pass George Gervin this season. I think it does a real disservice to the greats who played a significant portion of their careers in that league to just blow off what they accomplished there. That was legitimately good basketball. I even saw a lot of it.

Not a B'Ball poster and not the best game for him but why no serious talk on Portland. Not his best game but added value late and the Trailblazer are on to the playin'!
Melo!! 21pts in 18 mins, 7/13 from the field (3/7 from 3).

Put some respect on his name!! The only "Melo" in the league!

The way he is going he might bust out a really big game or two this year.
Man! Watching him play at this stage, he's in such great shape. I have to really look at the number sometimes because he just looks a lot slimmer (not that he was ever big). His moves are crisp, and he kills these young guys when they try to D him up with his footwork and skills. His game is tight right now.

He is a career 44/35/81 shooter. I mean just for reference Dame is 44/37/89.
You shouldn’t round up for one player and round down for another. Lilliard is good enough he doesn’t need that.

Here are the stats without your rounding manipulations:

Lilliard:
FG% 43.8 FG3% 37.3 FT% 89.1
Anthony:
FG% 44.7 FG3% 35.0 FT% 81.2

You shouldn’t round up for one player and round down for another. Lilliard is good enough he doesn’t need that.

Lilliard:
Anthony:

Ok. That kinda feels like get off my lawnish. I was supporting Melo and doing so briefly, succinctly whatever the appropriate vernacular is where decimals don't change the point.

Lilliard:
Anthony:

Two things on Melo:

1) They commented on this the other day, but he’s in the best shape of his life.

2) He’s taken to his role with total commitment.

This is the difference between guys that wash out and guys that can stick around. He’s with a good organization, has a good locker room, the superstar on the team is a good dude and they have great fans.

Really happy for him.

BTW, I'm not sure how much people follow Portland, but if Melo rides it out there for a few more years, he'll be absolutely beloved, especially if they have moderate playoff success ongoing. They have great fans.

I know the PNW might not be an expected home away from home for Melo, but he would be welcomed with open arms in that city forever.

When you watch him now, he has a bounce / quickness that you can see (not just from that dunk) on his lift on his shots.

When he's cooking, his jump shot is still a thing of beauty. When he gets the ball on the block and faces up, his footwork is still awesome to watch.

In the Dallas game, Klieber got put on him a few times and Melo had a look on his face like Chris Thomas was guarding him.

carmelo is/was a mega talent. too bad circumstances never allowed to surround himself with a winning NBA formula. sometimes perhaps long view it might make sense to think legacy versus dollars. nobody doubts his talent. he's the best we ever had. but not much really to look back on in the NBA title wise..

carmelo is/was a mega talent. too bad circumstances never allowed to surround himself with a winning NBA formula. sometimes perhaps long view it might make sense to think legacy versus dollars. nobody doubts his talent. he's the best we ever had. but not much really to look back on in the NBA title wise..
It started on Draft Day when Joe Dumars' brain fart chose Darko Milicic over Melo at #2. Arguably, Melo gets on that Pistons team and they win a couple more titles at minimum. Inexplicably dumb move by Dumars, since Melo was MOP and a known entity. Unreal.

I know only hardcore fans will always have this top of mind, but the 2009 WCF was the series / year that could have made Melo.

A lot of what ifs, but that year they were legit and would have faced the Magic in the Finals.

Dave Bing is in the conversation too.

20.3 points/6.0 assists/3.8 rebounds/0.5 steals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom