Portland Carmelo | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Portland Carmelo

It started on Draft Day when Joe Dumars' brain fart chose Darko Milicic over Melo at #2. Arguably, Melo gets on that Pistons team and they win a couple more titles at minimum. Inexplicably dumb move by Dumars, since Melo was MOP and a known entity. Unreal.
It would have shifted the Eastern conference for a decade having both Lebron and Melo on that side of the alignment.

i truly do give points to the guys who stick it out like DC and to a lesser degree billy owens and pearl. i believe the great dave bing played during the frosh ineligible rule. (i may be wrong). but for carmelo to climb to the mountain top as a frosh and sustain his greatness in the NBA makes me think # 1.
sad we only had him one season. but glad we had him for that one season. and no offense to mr. bing.
dave bing was selected #2 overall in the draft. carmelo was # 3 overall . neither won the NBA big one.

Last edited:
I'm pretty bullish on what the remainder of Melo's career could be.

Back when Vince Carter was redefining his game to be a super sub, I remember reading an article that interviewed a coach or GM maybe that talked about how tricky it can be a lot of times for stars to lengthen their career by adapting their game. It pointed out how Iverson's career ended pretty abruptly, because he just couldn't function on a team where he wasn't dominating the ball and the guy everything was built around.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Melo is figuring out that he has some ageless skills and can be very successful for a while spot starting and beating up on second unit dudes, and that the load he shoulders now is different, but still ok.

I'm pretty bullish on what the remainder of Melo's career could be.

Back when Vince Carter was redefining his game to be a super sub, I remember reading an article that interviewed a coach or GM maybe that talked about how tricky it can be a lot of times for stars to lengthen their career by adapting their game. It pointed out how Iverson's career ended pretty abruptly, because he just couldn't function on a team where he wasn't dominating the ball and the guy everything was built around.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Melo is figuring out that he has some ageless skills and can be very successful for a while spot starting and beating up on second unit dudes, and that the load he shoulders now is different, but still ok.
Melo seems to have really embraced his new role this season, and has been more effective when playing 20-24 minutes, and less so when forced to start or log starter's minutes due to Portland's injury situation. His shooting has been erratic, but he's been more engaged defensively, perhaps because he feels more comfortable emptying the tank.

when you know you're just playing 20 you can go harder and use your fouls . sprint vs. mile mindset.

I’ve been wondering this for a while , when Melo retires where will he retire? Will he do it wherever he is or will he go back to Denver or New York and retire?

Jokic and Murray combo should have a lot more wins under their belt for as good as they both are

Jokic and Murray combo should have a lot more wins under their belt for as good as they both are
They took me to second place on DraftKings. Nice $100 bucks made off their backs.

Murray's inconsistent on O, and isn't much of a defender. Joker isn't necessarily a wall on D either. Their D went to Detroit.

True but when they want it they can be unstoppable on offense.

Dame is really good. That said when it gets to end of games he often wins it or loses it himself. This one he lost it. In many ways Melo was that guy his whole career. A shotmaker first and foremost. Portland as an entire team is incredibly hot and cold even from quarter to quarter.

Dame is really good. That said when it gets to end of games he often wins it or loses it himself. This one he lost it. In many ways Melo was that guy his whole career. A shotmaker first and foremost. Portland as an entire team is incredibly hot and cold even from quarter to quarter.
Yup.

Is it a formula for winning a championship?

Probably not.

Are they a team that contenders would rather not risk running into in the playoffs?

Absolutely.

Yup.

Is it a formula for winning a championship?

Probably not.

Are they a team that contenders would rather not risk running into in the playoffs?

Absolutely.

Exactly. I mean they looked ready to drop the Lakers after game 1 last year and then just like that they were toast. But yeah if they get hot in the playoffs they can knock out anyone in a hurry.

It started on Draft Day when Joe Dumars' brain fart chose Darko Milicic over Melo at #2. Arguably, Melo gets on that Pistons team and they win a couple more titles at minimum. Inexplicably dumb move by Dumars, since Melo was MOP and a known entity. Unreal.
Sometimes, when you try to be the smartest guy in the room, you prove you are not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom