Postgame Thoughts… BC game 2 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… BC game 2

Speaking of craft beers...I like Dogfish Sea Quench Ale. I'm not a huge Hops guy. Definitely a nice beer for warm weather

JoeSU
Grew up in NW New Jersey on its largest lake, Lake Hopatcong - great place, Bertrand's Island roller coaster and nickel night used to have Ballantine Beer on the back patio overlooking the lake. Used to like it a lot.

Last edited:
OMG. That's out of like 350 teams, right?
How can we be rated that low, and still be at .500?

We have been between 220 and 240 most of the season. Our offensive adjeff has been top 25 all season - tale of two polar opposites

Unc stinks too.

the ACC is really really bad.

happy with all and any wins, but folks have got to stop using the JB playbook of “actually this team is good because they only lost by 6 vs ranked team du jour”

they aren’t. bc is terrible. Pitt is terrible.

Lol. The ACC has one ranked team.. one. Jerry Palm had only 3 teams getting in where Lunardi has 5. I think just how bad the ACC is this year is being lost on folks.

Lol. The ACC has one ranked team.. one. Jerry Palm had only 3 teams getting in where Lunardi has 5. I think just how bad the ACC is this year is being lost on folks.
I think Lunardi’s right for a change. Four is a good over/under.

If Sid were totally game ready, which I doubt we'll see before the end of the season, he is the best center we have. Jesse is good but he's just not at Sid's level yet. Just remember how well he was playing before he went down.

But Sid at 80% of that, along with Frank doing his best, can help make it possible for this mishappen team to get to March Madness.

As has been said a few times-----one game at a time.
They are different players. Jesse is more finesse and longer. Sid has a knack for the zone and a nose for the ball. Both very good. It was so good to see Sid playing and playing well with energy. Really happy for him. Wish he had another year

We have been between 220 and 240 most of the season. Our offensive adjeff has been top 25 all season - tale of two polar opposites

But I thought things like strength of opponent are factored into KenPom. I could see us having a bad statistical profile, but that's saying we're truly a terrible defensive team among our peer group to be ranked that low against teams from the MEAC and the Sunbelt and the Gulf Coast Conference. Sheesh, this is embarrassing.

Yeah, but so much of that intersectional comparison of league vs. league is mostly down to tournaments in the first month of the season.

It is equally true that nearly every team gets better over the course of the season, if injuries don't do them in.

I think that's why, nearly every year you see one or two leagues under-perform in the NCAA, despite the narrative that has been built up about how good or how bad, this league or that league may be.

Right now Frank, Sidibe and Coles activity on defense give me some hope for the rest of the season. Sid looked great for a guy who played his first legit minutes in two years.

We sit on .500 watch for now. Bank the GT game and at 15-12 comes the turning point of making a last ditch run.. or not. Win at ND, shock Duke and who knows. One game at a time though for now.

19-12 going into the ACCT would be highly unlikely but would probably have us sitting 8th or 9th out from the last team in. Then two wins has us in the talking heads debates. Three wins and its why would you leave us out. Magic would be win the acct head into the tourney at 23-12 as probably a 7, 8 or 9.
I’ll have what you’re having!

A few thoughts
-BC was awful. Hard to tell if our defense was good or BC is just bad.
-Was nice to see Bourama contribute. He had a couple of nice hustle plays including the block on the three-point shot but he just cannot lift off the floor. That missed dunk that hit the front rim is a perfect example and his show of frustration demonstrates that he knows it.
-I saw that JB went out of his way to complain about Frank at his presser. Color me shocked. I thought Frank was actually pretty active and had a couple of nice blocks.
-Buddy was 7-14 from the field but he missed a lot of makeable looks and forced a bunch. His passing was awful as was his perimeter defense. On a couple of occasions he didn’t bother to even put his hands up on three-point shots. I’m hoping we can see some of the buddy that we saw during the NCAA tournament as the season winds down. It would be best for his pro prospects if he worked on being a Duncan Robinson type, his plodding backing down doesnt work in the watered down ACC, never mind against grown men getting paid To play.
-Cole had similar stats but unlike buddy he didn’t waste time dribbling the ball and was active on defense and on the boards. He really has come around and I hope he returns. He could really be a huge factor next year.
-Oh Benny. The good news is that he scored a basket. The bad news was that and this the softest game he has played. Everything was away from the basket except for the one time when he fell driving. And on the other end the big from BC basically bullied him. He needs to get stronger and tougher.
-Hoping we beat Tech and ND and have momentum going into Judah Mintz Day/Duke.

OMG. That's out of like 350 teams, right?
How can we be rated that low, and still be at .500?
An efficient offense.

But I thought things like strength of opponent are factored into KenPom. I could see us having a bad statistical profile, but that's saying we're truly a terrible defensive team among our peer group to be ranked that low against teams from the MEAC and the Sunbelt and the Gulf Coast Conference. Sheesh, this is embarrassing.

It is.

Symir Torrence 5 assists in 17 minutes
Joe Girard 1 assist in 28 minutes.
Buddy Boeheim 1 assist in 37 minutes.
I was going to say I felt Joe was much improved passing this year and still think it is...but Symir is almost 9 assists per 40 vs 5 for Joe and that was before this game, that’s pretty drastic

I was going to say I felt Joe was much improved passing this year and still think it is...but Symir is almost 9 assists per 40 vs 5 for Joe and that was before this game, that’s pretty drastic

Well, duh.

Symir is a PG, a pass-first guy.

Joe is a homeless man’s GMac, who is an adequate playmaker for a combo guard.

9 games outta 10, Buddy is a black hole.
He occasionally has a great passing game, which he frankly should every game, with the attention he draws.

Well, duh.

Symir is a PG, a pass-first guy.

Joe is a homeless man’s GMac, who is an adequate playmaker for a combo guard.

9 games outta 10, Buddy is a black hole.
He occasionally has a great passing game, which he frankly should every game, with the attention he draws.
Sure...it wasn’t meant to be a diss to Joe, more of a nod to Symir.

as i said I thought Joe has been improved this year especially looking to Jesse

Sy is a good passer, but he should be better at assists numbers since he doesn’t ever shoot. When Joe has the ball he has two roles. Passer and shooter. I also expect joes assist numbers to go down now without Jesse since he was the only one that consistently looked for Jesse and they had the pick and roll down.

Sure...it wasn’t meant to be a diss to Joe, more of a nod to Symir.

as i said I thought Joe has been improved this year especially looking to Jesse

Sy is now up to some respectable shooting %’s from the floor, and from 3 for the season.
(Albeit both on very low volume).

His FT % tho - UGH.

Agreed 144% - Joe had great chemistry w Jesse in the pick & roll game.

Sy is a good passer, but he should be better at assists numbers since he doesn’t ever shoot. When Joe has the ball he has two roles. Passer and shooter. I also expect joes assist numbers to go down now without Jesse since he was the only one that consistently looked for Jesse and they had the pick and roll down.
Symir’s APG per 40 is 8.9.
That is really good.

He doesn’t play enough to say he should have better assist numbers.
Plus he is playing without the main unit a lot of times because of the hockey shift subs.

If Symir played 30+ MPG he would be close to the top in assists.

Symir’s APG per 40 is 8.9.
That is really good.

He doesn’t play enough to say he should have better assist numbers.
Plus he is playing without the main unit a lot of times because of the hockey shift subs.

If Symir played 30+ MPG he would be close to the top in assists.
He has some Z Sims to him.

He’s the best at attacking the rim off the dribble on the team.

He’s 9 per 40 which is good, especially for being in this team with no movement.

We already know JB isn’t going to adjust the guards.

He didn’t last year and won’t this year.

I can’t believe you’re saying Sy should have better assists per 40. That is laughable that that is what you’re choosing as your hill.

They are different players. Jesse is more finesse and longer. Sid has a knack for the zone and a nose for the ball. Both very good. It was so good to see Sid playing and playing well with energy. Really happy for him. Wish he had another year
Have to chuckle on your comment "Wish he had another year"! He is near to drawing Social Security now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom