Postgame Thoughts… Cornell | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Cornell

I’m dreaming of being like 14-6 and having 20,000+ including a big and fired up student section for UNC on 1/24. And then let’s freakin bury them. Wes Johnson at MSG buzzsaw them.

Let’s make it happen. Enough is a freakin nuff. Let’s be Syracuse again. We’ve got a stud center and PG, a senior deadeye shooter, and multiple young and athletic forwards that are turning a corner. No excuses. Let’s go.
Yes yes yes!!!

Saw an interesting exchange between Benny and JAB. Jim was in his face about something...addressed the team a bit and Benny is clapping and ready to go before they went back to the floor. That young man can take harsh instruction and bounce back realizing what he has to do... instead of turtling into a shell he went out and did what he was told. What a difference a year can make.

The freshmen have a lot of growth to go yet but you can see the positive spurts and potential they have. I think Bell got the idea from JAB what he has to do and is doing a better job than earlier which is a very good sign.

We're still going to see a lot of ups and downs...especially in ACC play but once each youngster starts to figure out how to play the game at this level we should see some pretty good basketball, Mintz still has to figure out how to play 1 but you can see he's learning but still tries to do too much at times.
I really liked what you had to say.

In one of the most recent games that I watched on tv, the announcer made a lot of what a great attitude Benny had. There were several times when he was the recipient of bad play by the opponent or bad calls, and he didn’t complain, just got back to work. I was very impressed by that.

I would assume so.

Well…. Let me change that… it’s a 1 game and out tourney scenario now for the IVY so you never know. Have to think the would be 1 seed
right now cornell is predicted for the 3-4th best team in the ivy

Justin Taylor is out there right now getting in shots after the game. Good to see.

Against Bryant he was 3 for 3 inside the arc, 3 for 6 outside of it and 10 for 13 from the free throw line for 25 points in 26 minutes.

In the other 11 games, he's played 154 minutes and is 4/11 inside the arc, 5 for 16 outside of it and has never gotten to the foul line for 24 points.

Last edited:
I got to watch the game and came away with these thoughts...

I knew this would be a great game for Joe... these types of games against less physical guards he thrives on. I'm glad he played well.

Chris Bell had 5 rebounds!!! If he can average 5-6 rpg he can be so much more valuable to the team. He has a nice looking stroke.

Jesse played well considering he wasn't feeling well (I did hear that right?). He has really good hands for a big man. Wish he could get stronger without it effecting his mobility. I'd like to see him close out without buying every head/ball fake. Three point shooters can get him to leap and blow right by him. But he's really blossomed this year. It's been enjoyable to see him evolve as a player.

Mintz just oozes talent but until he shores up that handle and outside shot a bit better, he should stay right here at Syracuse... which is good for us because it would mean that we keep him another season or two.

I'd like to see Benny be more assertive with his game. This is a game, I felt, that he should've been able to take his man anytime he wanted to. He's progressing, and the talent is there.

As far as the other freshman Malik Brown has been the most impressive to me. He can finish around the rim, and rebounds. He doesn't try to do too much, and has a pretty high bball IQ. Justin Taylor will be really solid next year, and I think he'll have a couple of big games when he's clicking this year; a heady guy. Copeland has a ton of talent too and plays with so much energy that he almost plays hyper. That said I think he's going to make a great guard tandem with Judah next year when Joe is graduated. What a dynamic duo they can be with terrific hops.

Symir has disappointed me a bit this year. He dribbles around a lot, and doesn't seem to distribute the ball as well as he showed last season. Solid role player though off the bench.

As for the game itself, it was like watching two different Syracuse squads. I didn't much care for the team that started the game, but they found a groove and never looked back. Cornell took Miami and I think BC to the wire so this win is more impressive than it looks perhaps. Nice to see these guys getting better each game. Looking forward to watching them play against a more physical Pitt team. That'll be a good test.

Last edited:
I got to watch the game and came away with these thoughts...

I knew this would be a great game for Joe... these types of games against less physical guards he thrives on. I'm glad he played well.

Chris Bell had 5 rebounds!!! If he can average 5-6 rpg he can be so much more valuable to the team. He has a nice looking stroke.

Jesse played well considering he wasn't feeling well (I did hear that right?). He has really good hands for a big man. Wish he could get stronger without it effecting his mobility. I'd like to see him close out without buying every head/ball fake. Three point shooters can get him to leap and blow right by him. But he's really blossomed this year. It's been enjoyable to see him evolve as a player.

Mintz just oozes talent but until he shores up that handle and outside shot a bit better, he should stay right here at Syracuse... which is good for us because it would mean that we keep him another season or two.

I'd like to see Benny be more assertive with his game. This is a game, I felt, that he should've been able to take his man anytime he wanted to. He's progressing, and the talent is there.

As far as the other freshman Malik Brown has been the most impressive to me. He can finish around the rim, and rebounds. He doesn't try to do too much, and has a pretty high bball IQ. Justin Taylor will be really solid next year, and I think he'll have a couple of big games when he's clicking this year; a heady guy. Copeland has a ton of talent too and plays with so much energy that he almost plays hyper. That said I think he's going to make a great guard tandem with Judah next year when Joe is graduated. What a dynamic duo they can be with terrific hops.

Symir has disappointed me a bit this year. He dribbles around a lot, and doesn't seem to distribute the ball as well as he showed last season. Solid role player though off the bench.

As for the game itself, it was like watching two different Syracuse squads. I didn't much care for the team that started the game, but they found a groove and never looked back. Cornell took Miami and I think BC to the wire so this win is more impressive than it looks perhaps. Nice to see these guys getting better each game. Looking forward to watching them play against a more physical Pitt team. That'll be a good test.
Whoa whoa whoa... if Jesse's rebounding holds and Bell gets consistently to 3 or 4 a game, that is probably a bit more in line with what can actually happen.

Bell needs some years of S&C and player development to be a 5 rebound a game guy.

Whoa whoa whoa... if Jesse's rebounding holds and Bell gets consistently to 3 or 4 a game, that is probably a bit more in line with what can actually happen.

Bell needs some years of S&C and player development to be a 5 rebound a game guy.

But - with proper dedication to S&C, he might one day become a DT for us.

Wiry, skinny dudes can be solid rebounders too -
Just need to stick their noses in there, and make a consistent effort to try for boards.

Hak is Exhibit A -
He never bulked up substantially while at Cuse, but averaged 8.5 boards / game his final 3 seasons.

Just need to stick their noses in there, and make a consistent effort to try for boards.

Hak is Exhibit A -
He never bulked up substantially while at Cuse, but averaged 8.5 boards / game his final 3 seasons.
With Bell I think it's less the physical attributes, inasmuch as most freshmen really have to fight to get rebounds against older, stronger dudes, and more his rebounding instincts are just comically terrible and he needs time to refine them.

Hak is Exhibit A -
Bell could dedicate his entire existence to S&C and will never be an NT FWIW.
Hak was much longer than Bell is and his leaping ability was off the charts, plus Hak actually wanted to rebound.

Bell could dedicate his entire existence to S&C and will never be an NT FWIW.
Hak was much longer than Bell is and his leaping ability was off the charts, plus Hak actually wanted to rebound.

Yougottawanna.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom