Postgame Thoughts… FSU | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… FSU

I didn’t realize Ralph Sampson played for FSU. Shocked we won

He missed rather badly. Wide open and not close. Chris is now 33 of 95 from three, (34.7%). Justin Taylor is 24/55 = 43.6%.

Taylor looked completely lost out there tonight in his brief appearance. Missed an open 3 rather badly himself. And Bell gets ragged on (deservedly) for being a bad rebounder, but Taylor is somehow worse. As others have said, make hustle plays and take shots within the offense, and you’re likely to get playing time, which is what Bell did tonight.

this might be your opinion, but it’s not backed up by the numbers.

taylor averages more rebs per game, per 40, has better rebound %.

bell has gotten better as the season has gone on though.
Based on the season to date and I have to pick one or the other, I would take Bell. He is the better athlete and is starting to figure it out. Justin is either too deferential or almost always, too passive.
Then again, they are both freshmen and have been forced to play. The questions is how much better will they each get.

Based on the season to date and I have to pick one or the other, I would take Bell. He is the better athlete and is starting to figure it out. Justin is either too deferential or almost always, too passive.
Then again, they are both freshmen and have been forced to play. The questions is how much better will they each get.

Everyone seems to keep forgetting Bell is actually a 3 and Taylor a 2. Taylor will excel at the 2 next year.

You’d think after something like a decade on the board, I’d know better…

Me heading to the post game thread excited for some positive fan insight & celebration after a solid ACC road win in the midst of a really tough few days in the national media spotlight… yeah, nope:
Awkward The Simpsons GIF

Seriously, are there fans out there who just enjoy seeing an Orange dub?! Like, just enjoy it & celebrate it, in the moment? No entire season & player ability broad brush prognostications, uber critical & sharp player analysis, somehow ALWAYS the team we played is terrible, etc…

I swear, I might start an alternate post game thread for those who are more in that just enjoy the win space, haha

It was fun to see Girard play well, Judah showing some increased maturity & those flashes of rim attacking abilities we love (sans two missed dunks;)). Thought Boeheim’s substitutions made sense & he played it right… finally, I don’t think I’ve ever (ever?) seen a player catch a reverse oop like Jesse did tonight, he genuinely backed into it from the start, it was wild!

A Few Thoughts...

1. Game was won because we turned around the rebounding. Joe was a beast off the glass and Chris solid as well.

2. Guard play was outstanding - Joe was amazing all game long and Judah taking over the second half.

3. OK - everybody was ready to anoint Taylor as THE SF after the previous game. I stood up and said it is a question of Jimmy going with the hot hand between Bell and him and nobody agreed. Anybody disagreeing now ????? Or will Chris now be the anointed one ????

4. Kudos to Jesse for turning it around and dominating the middle in the second half after a very rocky first half to the game.

5. Guards need to go to Brown more. He only had two shots, but there were three or four times he had pinned his man solidly and only needed a ball that wasnt delivered.

6. We need to get Sherm back to Coach the alley-oop pass. A lot of slop on those plays.

What an absolute tractor pull.
-Joe came through big-time. A couple of bad shots but otherwise was excellent. Also took good care of the ball for the most part except for that one spin.
-very similar pattern for Judah to the BC game. Sloppy start but in the second half he came through with some critical plays. Shared the ball nicely. He just makes plays other guys on the court cannot. What a talent and he is starting to harness it.
-weird night for substitutions. Benny got much more time than I would’ve expected and frankly he didn’t do much with it. But Maliq wasn’t much better. He wasn’t good against Boston College but you are have to wonder if he got hurt on the opening dunk as he was not good enough on the boards tonight.
-given how JB has dealt with Bell all year I have no idea why he stuck with him for 34 minutes tonight. He had so many wide-open looks that he missed that it really helped keep Florida State in the game. I thought he would get pulled for giving the ball to Mounir with two seconds on the shot clock. Meanwhile Taylor was coming off of a good game where he shot the ball well and he barely got off the bench. Mystifying.
-Jesse was absolute abysmal in the first half. But he came out in the second half with a different attitude and was especially good on the defensive end and on the boards.
-Anish on ESPN sounds just like Steve Levy and it is annoying.
-thank God we beat that garbage team. This would’ve been an absolute disaster to sit on for the better part of a week before we play NC State.
Always. Good to grab a road win when you do not play your A or B game as a team.

3. OK - everybody was ready to anoint Taylor as THE SF after the previous game. I stood up and said it is a question of Jimmy going with the hot hand between Bell and him and nobody agreed. Anybody disagreeing now ????? Or will Chris now be the anointed one ????
I don't think most here thought JB would actually go to Taylor. I think most here just think Taylor is more consistent that Bell.

A Few Thoughts...

1. Game was won because we turned around the rebounding. Joe was a beast off the glass and Chris solid as well.

2. Guard play was outstanding - Joe was amazing all game long and Judah taking over the second half.

4. Kudos to Jesse for turning it around and dominating the middle in the second half after a very rocky first half to the game.

5. Guards need to go to Brown more. He only had two shots, but there were three or four times he had pinned his man solidly and only needed a ball that wasnt delivered.

6. We need to get Sherm back to Coach the alley-oop pass. A lot of slop on those plays.

JT is a 2. He wasn't going to be anointed as a 3 here ever. It just is this year it's a swinging door at the SF.

Love Jimmy. So many say it’s time for him to go and I get it. Even with our regular struggles we have had some great runs. And remember, our talent drop off and regular season drop off started when the NCAA threw the book at us which was a joke. Still baffled he hasn’t gotten his wins back. The Fab Melo (God rest his soul) debacle was minuscule compared to what Kentucky and even Duke did. There was actual proof that Duke was paying players, what happened to them. Why Cuse ever self reported their issues will never register with me.

Somebody had to be punished for Duke’s cheating. We were that somebody.

Bell getting 14 shots is insane but in-line with why we’ve been bad for seven years.

we just beat an awful team.

Happy for Joe and Judah.

Brown is so much better than Benny.
Eh, if bell is open he’s supposed to shoot. Agree that I’m not sure that’s an awesome recipe but didn’t think his shot selection was bad. Airballed one from the corner after a pump and reset but think it was late in the shot clock. Otherwise they were shots in the flow of the offense that he ‘can’ make.

I think if you did the season over you’d probably try to use a scholly on a transfer SF (and that’s not hindsight — I feel like a lot of us were a bit surprised we didn’t do that). But for where we are, Bell taking open looks is better than him playing passively and passing up those shots. Just didn’t fall tonight.

Otherwise agree. FSU is very not go good. Joe and Judah came up big and Brown is much better than Benny.

Really great start. Then the next 20-25’ were absolutely brutal. Then a solid close.

Girard led the scoring in the first and played very well, and then Judah really stepped up and played great down the stretch in the 2nd.

Jesse was…. off in the first half. It’s really odd at times. Glad he got it together.

Bell was totally off tonight, but good effort on the glass.

Thought Benny played well in his minutes. Missed some shots but was active. Fine with the minutes he got in place of Taylor and Brown.

This FSU team lacks the talent many of their teams have had in the last 5 years.

All in all… bad basketball game.
Still think Bell’s rotations, particularly to the middle when Jesse gets stretched out, aren’t great. But he was active and battling and the shot selection was ok despite the fact that they didn’t fall. Encouraging game for him despite the ugly shooting.

Agree on Benny. Have to give the kid credit — he’s been humbled quite a bit the past two years (more or less) but is still trying to play hard and contribute. There’s something to be said for that, at least in life if not on the court.

A lot of people get frustrated with Joe at times and I get it but I really think Jesse’s awkward, rushed stretches offensively hurt us almost as much. He really should be averaging 17/18 a game. He’s been very good but his footwork down low costs him several buckets a game.

Frustrating game. Felt like we could have put that to bed so much earlier but left a ton of points on the floor.

Joe put the team on his back and Judah bounced back again after playing poorly. He's growing up.
Y’all keep saying Judah played poorly then bounced back. Not true, he simply picked it up second half and down the stretch. If he comes out looking for his shot he comes under criticism, or if he passes the ball a lot, he’s not aggressive enough, he’s gotta help Joe and Jesse on the of offensive end. ‍♂️ The kid has a lot to do for this team. Appreciate it already!

Not sure where everyone falls on this but I think JB has handled the forward situation really well. He probably should have hit the portal for a 3 but given what we have he’s gotten north of 400 mins for Taylor, brown, Benny and bell. Quadir has gotten the short end of the stick a bit but even JBA helped us win a couple early.

Brown seems to be the closest to establishing himself as the best of the bunch but he’s not so good that he’s an automatic 30+ mins guy. Think this has played out in a completely reasonable fashion but people are just upset (perhaps understandably) that no one has emerged as Guerrier or Wes johnson yet.

Seriously, right. Couple nice opportunities by the boards tonight.

Nothing personal but that makes zero sense. The shortest avenue to an ACC tourney title and auto bid is the best possible scenario.

144% THIS.

Even IF we win out, and then make it to the ACCT championship game, unless we win that, we’re not going to the NCAA’s.

Period, full stop.

We have no impressive wins, and a ton of BAD losses.

The ONLY path to making the Dance now, is to win the ACCT.
Anyone trying to convince themselves otherwise, is delusional.

And the less games in a row we need to win the ACCT, the better.

Y’all keep saying Judah played poorly then bounced back. Not true, he simply picked it up second half and down the stretch. If he comes out looking for his shot he comes under criticism, or if he passes the ball a lot, he’s not aggressive enough, he’s gotta help Joe and Jesse on the of offensive end. ‍♂️ The kid has a lot to do for this team. Appreciate it already!

Not sure if you're family or not but this fan base (at least the knowledgeable ones) love and appreciate what Judah brings to the table and team. He has been spectacular in his freshman season. I have noticed his growth from being an aggressive scorer first to becoming a well rounded PG.

I was commenting to my son that SU looks its best on offense when its pushing the pace. Judah is a handful on the break when getting to the rim. Haven't seen a guard at SU with his ability to finish in a long time.

A game is two halves and I think its great he had the ability to push through a difficult first half (it was) and continue to work for the win. Alot of players can't bounce back after early game struggles and last night Judah and Jesse kept grinding.

i wonder what hamilton's excuse this year is?

i guess in this era sustained success is difficult...get good players and they leave early.
The broadcast team mentioned that losing Fletcher and Gainey for the season has impacted Fl St.

Actually thought the broadcast team was good -had some good insights.
Cornette's self-deprecating humor discussing his performance vs. SU/Melo was funny.

144% THIS.

Even IF we win out, and then make it to the ACCT championship game, unless we win that, we’re not going to the NCAA’s.

Period, full stop.

We have no impressive wins, and a ton of BAD losses.

The ONLY path to making the Dance now, is to win the ACCT.
Anyone trying to convince themselves otherwise, is delusional.

And the less games in a row we need to win the ACCT, the better.
Exactly. Not getting the double bye or bye might get us a chance for more wins, but they wouldn't be the quality wins that we need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom