Postgame Thoughts… UNC | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… UNC

if we get Mintz, with joe and Mintz in the back court, that gives us a different look. With Jesse and Frank at the 5 and if Cole came back, I still want a portal forward but if we have to mix and match at the other forward with the frosh, I jcould live with that.
Cole is not coming back.

Cole is not coming back.
I will wait until I actually hear that from him. Not saying he is, mind you. But Jb says things for his own reasons. He might be on to a portal guy (not a portal guy yet but through the grapevine) and not want that guy to think Cole is coming back. I actually know of a situation where (and this is back in the 80's) where we told a commit to not say anything because we were recruiting another guy that we didn't want to know he had committed.

We had a chance to win at the end of regulation up 1 with the ball. So what do we do? Move the ball to hit the open man? Nope. Run a screen for red hot Swider? Nope. Clear out and go iso with Buddy who dribbles for 26 seconds and gets the ball poked out of his hands out of bounds. Then throw away the inbounds pass. That was the game. That was our chance. The rest was just a foregone conclusion to see what the losing margin would be.

an undersized slow team can not win a game losing the Ft battle by about 20 the foul battle and the rebounding battle and we still almost pulled it out..

So what they are saying is that other than 1 time UNC did not foul a single shot attempt for us in the paint all night.

That is ridiculous. Sid is at best a back up 2
He's shown us we've underestimated his handle.
But, it's true he does not deliver an obligatory play: the out of bounds turnover pass to a guy sitting in the first row.

That is ridiculous. Sid is at best a back up 2
No. it's not that. It was selfish and dumb. Has nothing to do with what guard position he was playing. What bothers me the most, is that our coach won't say one word about it after the game. Joe won't be singled out. Wouldn't surprise me if JB blamed Jesse for some of this. I hope some reporter asks Jb if he plans on retiring this year.
I'm pretty confident it will be all Frank's fault for not jumping or everyone else's fault for pressuring Joe into playing hero ball.

Now that Jesse is out, in every postgame Press Conference after a loss, JB only has great things to say about him and how much we miss him . When he was playing, all we heard about was how limited he was.

Last edited:
So Coach, walk us through the inbounds play.
First and last question asked at the press conference, both by Mike Waters. JB answered it pretty calmly both times: Swider was open but Joe didn't see him or call a timeout. At least they had a chance to set up their defense.

It’s actually unbelievable that I want a Syracuse basketball season to just be over with.

It has been my favorite thing in the world (along with the football program) just about my entire life and I never could have imagined that there would be a season that I would rather do something besides watch us play more games. Sad stuff.

Hated seeing Buddy try to dribble out our shot clock at the end of regulation when UNC would have gotten back the ball with plenty of time regardless. All it does is make it a harder shot for us.
So true but so predictable. When have we tried to move the ball and try to get the ball to an open man instead of going one-on-one as Buddy did tonight, or Jimmy did several times in other games? That’s all on the coach.

I was at the game

Disappointed to let it slip away, but at least there were enjoyable parts. We kept it competitive the entire time. Cole played out of his mind. In fact he was one point away from setting the single game record from an opponent. Bourama gutted it out. NC was sweating it out, and even whining about foul calls (oh, the irony).

I'll take the positives since there have been precious few this season. It sure beats getting blown out by Duke, or losing to a crap team with a losing record

The kids fought hard tonight and deserve all the credit in the world after Saturday. They were let down... and not by officiating.

To say the least.
The officiating was horrendous. We get no calls. Cole got fouled at the beginning of OT and I thought he was going to the line for free throws and then I realized UNC still wasn’t in the bonus. !!! They clutch and grab and push and shove and we get no calls. We have great free throw shooters but they can’t get to the line. Tyus went to the line all the time. Refereeing in CBB is awful right now.

Obviously we have to blame ourselves for not executing down the stretch of regulation. Why does JB always call timeout in that situation? Just set some screens, get some movement and try to get the ball to Cole or Buddy for a good look. So frustrating.

Last edited:
This Syracuse team as bad as they are from a historical sense somehow finds ways to continuously rip your heart out. I just can't believe how angry I was that they lost this game. Listen no need to beat a dead horse. The roster management has been a total disaster since 2015 and has reared it's ugly head this season.

I may be wrong and don't have the energy to go back and watch but please tell me why Cole who had the game of his lifetime didn't touch the ball in the final 5 minutes of regulation. Pretty certain the heat check 3 from the corner in front of the Cuse bench over Leaky Black was the last time his hands touched the orange.

This season is Keith Smart, Moten timeout, Wallace fouling out, AO getting hurt against Georgetown and Fab turning in a bogus paper all piled on top of one another. Absolutely kicked in the stones, lit on fire and ran over by a bus on a weekly basis. Please make it stop!!

Last edited:
  • Tremendous game by Swider
  • Inexcusable to not set a single screen for Swider in the second half when he was hot as the sun. How do we keep going Iso Buddy there over and over towards the end with Swider shooting like that? Why don't we ever make it easier for our shooters to get open shots?
  • Sidibe with the heart of a lion
  • Our only in-bounds play is passing it to Buddy in the corner. Everyone knows it's coming.
  • We should have won this game
Boeheim has become atrocious at drawing up plays out of a timeout. And why is Joe inbounding the ball??

Just walked in the door so haven’t read the thread.

This is on JB. Cannot call a play where Buddy is hunched over with the ball locked in on the boundary. You’d think he would’ve learned at Wake. He watched Joe screw up these plays for years. Throw the damned thing into the backcourt or in space. My friggin cyo team knows how to do that better than this team.

Last edited:
This Syracuse team as bad as they are from a historical sense somehow finds ways to continuously rip your heart out. I just can't believe how angry I was that they lost this game. Listen no need to beat a dead horse. The roster management has been a total disaster since 2015 and has reared it's ugly head this season.

I may be wrong and don't have the energy to go back and watch but please tell me why Cole who had the game of his lifetime didn't touch the ball in the final 5 minutes of regulation. Pretty certain the heat check 3 from the corner in front of the Cuse bench over Leaky Black was the last time his hands touched the orange. This season is Keith Smart, Moten timeout, Wallace fouling out, AO getting hurt against Georgetown and Fab turning in a bogus paper all piled on top of one another. Absolutely kicked in the stones, lit on fire and ran over by a bus on a weekly basis. Please make it stop!!
So true. It’s so depressing. But your post made me laugh. Thank you for that.

Kind of tired of "monumental efforts" always ending up with a loss. Maybe we should try something different??????

Boeheim has become atrocious at drawing up plays out of a timeout. And why is Joe inbounding the ball??
Not uncommon for the guard to inbound but doesn’t seem like he does it much.

Just walked in the door so haven’t read the thread.

This is in JB. Cannot call a play where Buddy is hunched over with the wall locked in on the boundary. You’d think he would’ve learned at Wake. He watched Joe screw up these plays for years. Throw the damned thing into the backcourt or in space. My friggin cyo team knows how to do that better than this team.
If UNC was asked where they wanted us to inbound the ball, the answer (outside of a turnover…) would be- directly into the corner where the player has to catch it and stop their momentum from taking them out of bounds. I couldn’t believe that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom