Postgame Thoughts… UNC | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… UNC

One thing that really frustrates me. All year long in the pressers he has killed Jesse, Benny and Frank. But last night after the display of selfishness, lazy defense and thoughtless clutch play on the critical inbounds pass that Joe displayed last night that in my view cost us the game, all JB could do was rave about how proud he was of Joe's effort and basically say the turnover didn't mean anything because it allowed us to set up our defense! What a pile of garbage. No team can get off a good shot with four seconds left on the shot clock? It wouldn't have been better to take a shot to go up 3 or 4? And why didn't JB call the timeout himself?

i've said on this board i don't understand JB calling out players. But the different treatments some players get makes it even worse. And Joe won't change because he isn't held accountable.

People talk that Buddy could be a good open spot shooter in the NBA. If That’s the case, just imagine what Cole could do. He’s bigger, more athletic and just as good a shooter. He can manipulate getting into the lane without having to back his man down. He also plays a lot harder and competes on the glass. He actually runs the floor. If you compare the two, Swider is the much better all around player.

Whoever is saying Buddy could be a good spot shooter in the NBA needs to watch the NBA.

One thing that really frustrates me. All year long in the pressers he has killed Jesse, Benny and Frank. But last night after the display of selfishness, lazy defense and thoughtless clutch play on the critical inbounds pass that Joe displayed last night that in my view cost us the game, all JB could do was rave about how proud he was of Joe's effort and basically say the turnover didn't mean anything because it allowed us to set up our defense! What a pile of garbage. No team can get off a good shot with four seconds left on the shot clock? It wouldn't have been better to take a shot to go up 3 or 4? And why didn't JB call the timeout himself?

i've said on this board i don't understand JB calling out players. But the different treatments some players get makes it even worse. And Joe won't change because he isn't held accountable.

I can't believe I'm saying this, I thought he was a bit rough on Joe last night in the presser. Honestly. He basically said the kid couldn't figure out what to do on the inbounds after JB and he talked about it and said that Jimmy had to start taking the ball up the court because Joe couldn't.

Also, the second go round he re-iterated the setting up the D thing without any caveats, but on the initial point, he did make it seem that setting up the D was a silver lining versus getting a bad shot and giving up a run out which happened to us against Clemson year's past.

Now, the other stuff, for sure was ridiculous. He didn't hit Jimmy who had a terrible 1H of ball, it was ridiculous to bring up Jessie, he's hammering Frank and he could have buried Joe even more and, as always, could have taken some of the blame himself.

Whoever is saying Buddy could be a good spot shooter in the NBA needs to watch the NBA.
right on. buddy's the 4th best shooter on this team (33%) ! and among ACC players who average 3 treys tries a game his 3pt percentage ranks him 37th !

(edit : of the top 25 in 3pt attempts he still only finishes 19th in accuracy.
cole is tied for 3rd and joe 5th.)

Last edited:

He is pure spin these days. Can’t take anything he says seriously, in these press conferences.

Hey at least the headlines had UNC "rallied past" us, or UNC "survives" us, with the Duke game every headline used words like "carved", "crushed", "steamrolled" as if we are tomato cans, and may be we are. Ouch.

and with 15.7 seconds left in regulation the timeout on TV I saw Red pulled down his mask and spoke to JB (I think). That's the first time I saw coach/assistant in game interaction on TV. Do they talk and consult with each other during games or is it just JB making decisions undisturbed? It's much harder to see if they are speaking with masks on.

Hey at least the headlines had UNC "rallied past" us, or UNC "survives" us, with the Duke game every headline used words like "carved", "crushed", "steamrolled" as if we are tomato cans, and may be we are. Ouch.

and with 15.7 seconds left in regulation the timeout on TV I saw Red pulled down his mask and spoke to JB (I think). That's the first time I saw coach/assistant in game interaction on TV. Do they talk and consult with each other during games or is it just JB making decisions undisturbed? It's much harder to see if they are speaking with masks on.

Yea! At least we won't have to worry about seeing 'Syracuse' qualify as a 'bad' loss under their NCAA resume during these shows, etc. leading up to Selection Sunday. :rolleyes::mad:

We had a chance to win at the end of regulation up 1 with the ball. So what do we do? Move the ball to hit the open man? Nope. Run a screen for red hot Swider? Nope. Clear out and go iso with Buddy who dribbles for 26 seconds and gets the ball poked out of his hands out of bounds. Then throw away the inbounds pass. That was the game. That was our chance. The rest was just a foregone conclusion to see what the losing margin would be.
of all things that bother me about JBs coaching - it is this that bothers me most...

the iso offense.

We take jumpshots or incredibly deliberate moves to the hole that are easy to guard.
there was a 1 minute stretch in the game where two clear and obvious fouls by UNC went uncalled

benny was elbowed in the face out of bounds...the announcer said syracuse caught a break bc it went off williams lol

yeah ...the ref just ave syr the ball instead if calling unc for the OBVIOUS foul.

next play the syr player was fould but no call.

senior night home teams...UNC at that...are getting the calls. period.

it was just enough of an advantge to give unc the win.

byt yeah the style of play for the team does not tend to draw many fouls...its true...but the team doesnt really commit many fouls either...i would say most teams should be called for more fouls than SU this season but that hasnt always been the case.

Was I the only one wondering why Cole had his game of the season but they took the ball out of his hands late in the game to have Buddy do all... sometimes you have to just ride the hot hand.
Nope, no you’re not.

But we all know the reason

People need to listen or watch JB’s post game press conference.

He says Frank isn’t ready again but atleast doesn’t insult him.
He bemoans losing Jesse like he didn’t spend multiple PCs earlier in the year ripping every mistake he made.
Says our guards were tired. No bleep but college kids don’t get tired as you have said and you didn’t bring in more players. Joe and Buddy got no breaks because the HC wants them to play the whole game.
Jimmy III got tough looks but just missed them. This is where I can’t take it. He rips other players but Jimmy takes tough looks and just can’t make them. Good god JB rip Frank but leave Jimmy alone. Jimmy is tefeloh in JB’s eyes.
Jimmy’s defense is a problem but JB ignores that.
I think coaches tend to be harder when they expect more from a player, know that they are capable of improving. He could yell about Jimmy’s defense from now to eternity but he knows his potential is limited - his physical attributes prevent him from being quick enough to do things that say a Benny or Frank etc can. I’m certain Jimmy is well aware of his shortcomings too and would love to be a quick twitch athlete capable of doing more for the team and of course his father. A great coach (not Boeheim) once told me that a player that he didn’t yell at has to realize and worry that the coach has decided he’s getting the most out of that player that he can reasonably expect. I doubt anyone expected Jimmy Boeheim preseason to be averaging 13.3 points, 6.1 rebounds, have more assists than turnovers (46 to 40) , shoot 50% from 2 and 36.1% from 3 at the end of the season.

If you listened to all the different podcasts etc, Arinze said that he was never expected to defend corner 3’s. Guess why? JB knew it wasn’t a possibility with Arinze like it was for other centers he had.

People talk that Buddy could be a good open spot shooter in the NBA. If That’s the case, just imagine what Cole could do. He’s bigger, more athletic and just as good a shooter. He can manipulate getting into the lane without having to back his man down. He also plays a lot harder and competes on the glass. He actually runs the floor. If you compare the two, Swider is the much better all around player.
He’s also much taller - about 3 inches I believe. He needs to be able to put the ball on the floor to play forward, it’s why he rarely gets into the lane. His ball handling and ability to use his much more developed body to power up shots, defend against strong players, also has to improve. As a shooting guard, his defense and lack of speed and lateral movement are deterrents. He should be able to drive into the lane but he rarely has done it. I liked what I saw last night but I also didn’t like what I saw Saturday at all - he needs to push himself, be more aggressive and be much more consistent.

All this talk about 4 seconds not being enough to get a shot off. I keep seeing everyone get good shots off us on inbounds passes in less time than that, including last night.

No. He was pointing out that, to him anyway, the turnover on the inbounds play wasn't all bad because it allowed them to set the defense.
Whole lot of good that did.

I can't believe I'm saying this, I thought he was a bit rough on Joe last night in the presser. Honestly. He basically said the kid couldn't figure out what to do on the inbounds after JB and he talked about it and said that Jimmy had to start taking the ball up the court because Joe couldn't.

Also, the second go round he re-iterated the setting up the D thing without any caveats, but on the initial point, he did make it seem that setting up the D was a silver lining versus getting a bad shot and giving up a run out which happened to us against Clemson year's past.

Now, the other stuff, for sure was ridiculous. He didn't hit Jimmy who had a terrible 1H of ball, it was ridiculous to bring up Jessie, he's hammering Frank and he could have buried Joe even more and, as always, could have taken some of the blame himself.

I’ll give you my “spin”. I watched bits of the game over today for lack of anything better to do. Mainly just key moments especially the inbounds pass 4 times. I don’t blame Joe for that pass. I don’t blame Buddy either. It was unfortunate. Unlike those who started screaming that Joe rifled the ball at Buddy’s feet, the replay doesn’t show that. Joe made a bounce pass to him. Unfortunately, just as Joe made the pass Buddy took another baby step with his right foot. Bad timing. Bad luck. But he certainly didn’t just rifle a ball at Buddy’s feet.

As to bringing the ball up. Don’t know why JB said Joe was having trouble bringing the ball up. He wasn’t. They applied token pressure at one point and Jimmy was the one not being guarded and pressured at all. Of course that’s where the ball should go. And then they even took the token pressure off and Jimmy still brought it up. What it did was just give Joe more opportunities to be off the ball. Jimmy wasn’t playing PG, he would just get it over mid court then do a handoff to one of the shooters. Don’t know why JB went the easy way and said Joe was having trouble getting it up court.!

I’ll give you my “spin”. I watched bits of the game over today for lack of anything better to do. Mainly just key moments especially the inbounds pass 4 times. I don’t blame Joe for that pass. I don’t blame Buddy either. It was unfortunate. Unlike those who started screaming that Joe rifled the ball at Buddy’s feet, the replay doesn’t show that. Joe made a bounce pass to him. Unfortunately, just as Joe made the pass Buddy took another baby step with his right foot. Bad timing. Bad luck. But he certainly didn’t just rifle a ball at Buddy’s feet.

As to bringing the ball up. Don’t know why JB said Joe was having trouble bringing the ball up. He wasn’t. They applied token pressure at one point and Jimmy was the one not being guarded and pressured at all. Of course that’s where the ball should go. And then they even took the token pressure off and Jimmy still brought it up. What it did was just give Joe more opportunities to be off the ball. Jimmy wasn’t playing PG, he would just get it over mid court then do a handoff to one of the shooters. Don’t know why JB went the easy way and said Joe was having trouble getting it up court.!

Did you see if Cole was open on the inbounds like JB said?

And Waters, I think, asked 2x about the inbounds. I think that’s why the second go round on his answer on setting the D was more affirmative than the previous answer which more a silver lining benefit.

camera angle was bad on the inbounds pass. with 4 seconds the first touch pretty much has to go to the basket. pretty sure JB wanted it in buddy's hands. and i agree tar heels never really rode the ball backcourt. jimmy just high dribble slow loped it across midcourt. don't think joe even stayed back as an outlet.

And Waters, I think, asked 2x about the inbounds. I think that’s why the second go round on his answer on setting the D was more affirmative than the previous answer which more a silver lining benefit.

Cole had a player on him but the guy was a little shorter so I guess a high enough pass could have gotten to him. But the guy guarding the inbounds pass was much taller than Joe and was turned and shaded to make a pass to the foul line area almost impossible. There’s no doubt though that he was the first option. Cole went up to a ref before the play and said something to him. Probably that the ball was coming to him and to watch for the damn foul.

I went back and watched it. it would have been a tough pass and if it was tipped and stolen, it’s an easy 2 the other way. I don’t blame him for not passing it

here it is...I guess he could have throw it deeper. And Cole would have got a super long three.

Cole had a player on him but the guy was a little shorter so I guess a high enough pass could have gotten to him. But the guy guarding the inbounds pass was much taller than Joe and was turned and shaded to make a pass to the foul line area almost impossible. There’s no doubt though that he was the first option. Cole went up to a ref before the play and said something to him. Probably that the ball was coming to him and to watch for the damn foul.
Cole definitely wasn’t all alone under the basket like some people said.

Cole is not coming back.
As I said, I would want to wait on what Cole has to say when the season is over. now, jb is talking like Cole will be back. I would wait on that, as well. when the smoke clears, we will know. I for one, really hope he comes back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom