Postgame Thoughts… UNC | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… UNC

Just walked in the door so haven’t read the thread.

This is in JB. Cannot call a play where Buddy is hunched over with the ball locked in on the boundary. You’d think he would’ve learned at Wake. He watched Joe screw up these plays for years. Throw the damned thing into the backcourt or in space. My friggin cyo team knows how to do that better than this team.

Maybe I misunderstood but I felt like JB said something about how the timeout before that inbounds allowed them to set up the defense after the turnover?

We should have worked on that play more. Worried about defense less. We don't much play defense.

Maybe I misunderstood but I felt like JB said something about how the timeout before that inbounds allowed them to set up the defense after the turnover?

We should have worked on that play more. Worried about defense less. We don't much play defense.

That's what you say to justify a bad play. I've said it about us too in a recent close game (GT) that we won.

Him saying it was nothing like Wake was bogus too. It was far more similar than different.

With a team that doesn't draw contact and won't play man to man there is one more point to make.
This is Jim Boeheim's worst season in the 46 year's he's been head coach.
(With an apology for being late because this dubious distinction was earned after the Duke game).

Something's not right.
And it's not just not making shots.

In the head coach's defense, we learned he watches practice from his office.
Another reason to clean house if these assistant coaches can’t identify an obvious weakness and fix it

• Tremendous game by Swider
  • Inexcusable to not set a single screen for Swider in the second half when he was hot as the sun. How do we keep going Iso Buddy there over and over towards the end with Swider shooting like that? Why don't we ever make it easier for our shooters to get open shots?
  • Sidibe with the heart of a lion
  • Our only in-bounds play is passing it to Buddy in the corner. Everyone knows it's coming.
  • We should have won this game
So even if Joe doesn’t rifle it to Buddy’s feet what’s he supposed to do with ball in corner and 6 seconds on shot clock

No. He was pointing out that, to him anyway, the turnover on the inbounds play wasn't all bad because it allowed them to set the defense.

Yep. Listening to JB in the presser say the big issue is all the minutes the guards have to play is comical

It’s beyond comical…more like you just can’t make this chit up worthy. It’s just more proof that he’s living in some alternate universe nowadays.

He’s the head coach. Who controls those minutes? Who’s responsible for constructing the roster to ensure there’s qualified players able to contribute to the team? Lessen the blow so to speak in the typical/normal flow of a basketball season, let alone if there ends up being unforeseen forks in the road? Etc., etc., etc.

It’s also incredibly interesting, comical too, listening to him talk about Jesse and what a difference he would’ve made in these games as an absolute of sort. Especially, when considering he spent most of the year prior to his season ending injury throwing him under the bus.

No. He was pointing out that, to him anyway, the turnover on the inbounds play wasn't all bad because it allowed them to set the defense.

Correct. He also stated that with only 4 seconds to run a play, even if the inbounds was executed, it would’ve been an extremely difficult shot for Buddy to make.

Additionally, JB mentioned how two years ago against Clemson in a similar situation, we missed that shot, and it led to a fast break easy hoop for the Tigers that sealed their victory.

Under tonight’s circumstances, JB stated he was completely okay with being up one, setting up the D, and giving up that long three…even tho he was WIDE open. Said up until that point, Love was like 2 for 10.

I know this game wasn’t important to Syracuse (although I still really care about finishing above .500 & getting JB back to 1,000 wins) but our guys gave it all their all tonight & I’m still unbelievably mad how we played the last 30 seconds of regulation.

We could have severely hurt NC’s chances of making the NCAAs tonight. That sucks.

Many fans are saying they can’t wait for this season to end but the last day of the Syracuse basketball season is always one of my least favorite days of my year.

I agree that inbounding the ball in a ‘coffin like’ corner whether it’s the sideline and endline (UNC) or the half court line and sideline(Wake) severely restricts Buddy or whomever‘s movement to evade the defensive pressure when they get the ball. The lack of foot speed/jumping ability of our best free throw shooters/ball handlers/shooters doesn’t help either in these end of game inbounding situations either.

Saw something tonight that I’ve been waiting for Cole to do all season - taking advantage of the mismatch being guarded by shorter guards since most defenses put the taller player usually a forward on Buddy. Cole most of the season hasn’t shot over his shorter opponent nor tried posting them up - not taking full advantage of the mismatches. He usually waits till he’s open. Today he took the 6’4” Love to lunch when he covered him. His ability to do that creates issues for opposing defenses. I even laughed with my son a few weeks ago saying I hope that in practice they put Symir on him to challenge him to learn to take advantage of his height and strength on the offensive end. Very late in the season but hoping he continues to note defensive mismatches, gains confidence, stays aggressive and makes them pay. On many teams, it would complicate defensive assignments and effect who guards Buddy too. A pick your poison thing.Great job tonight Cole.

The officiating was horrendous. We get no calls. Cole got fouled at the beginning of OT and I thought he was going to the line for free throws and then I realized UNC still wasn’t in the bonus. !!! They clutch and grab and push and shove and we get no calls. We have great free throw shooters but they can’t get to the line. Tyus went to the line all the time. Refereeing in CBB is awful right now.

Obviously we have to blame ourselves for not executing down the stretch of regulation. Why does JB always call timeout in that situation? Just set some screens, get some movement and try to get the ball to Cole or Buddy for a good look. So frustrating.
Oh, I agree about the officiating, but it's the least of our problems right now.

People need to listen or watch JB’s post game press conference.

He says Frank isn’t ready again but atleast doesn’t insult him.
He bemoans losing Jesse like he didn’t spend multiple PCs earlier in the year ripping every mistake he made.
Says our guards were tired. No bleep but college kids don’t get tired as you have said and you didn’t bring in more players. Joe and Buddy got no breaks because the HC wants them to play the whole game.
Jimmy III got tough looks but just missed them. This is where I can’t take it. He rips other players but Jimmy takes tough looks and just can’t make them. Good god JB rip Frank but leave Jimmy alone. Jimmy is tefeloh in JB’s eyes.
Jimmy’s defense is a problem but JB ignores that.

I agree that inbounding the ball in a ‘coffin like’ corner whether it’s the sideline and endline (UNC) or the half court line and sideline(Wake) severely restricts Buddy or whomever‘s movement to evade the defensive pressure when they get the ball. The lack of foot speed/jumping ability of our best free throw shooters/ball handlers/shooters doesn’t help either in these end of game inbounding situations either.

Saw something tonight that I’ve been waiting for Cole to do all season - taking advantage of the mismatch being guarded by shorter guards since most defenses put the taller player usually a forward on Buddy. Cole most of the season hasn’t shot over his shorter opponent nor tried posting them up - not taking full advantage of the mismatches. He usually waits till he’s open. Today he took the 6’4” Love to lunch when he covered him. His ability to do that creates issues for opposing defenses. I even laughed with my son a few weeks ago saying I hope that in practice they put Symir on him to challenge him to learn to take advantage of his height and strength on the offensive end. Very late in the season but hoping he continues to note defensive mismatches, gains confidence, stays aggressive and makes them pay. On many teams, it would complicate defensive assignments and effect who guards Buddy too. A pick your poison thing.Great job tonight Cole.
People talk that Buddy could be a good open spot shooter in the NBA. If That’s the case, just imagine what Cole could do. He’s bigger, more athletic and just as good a shooter. He can manipulate getting into the lane without having to back his man down. He also plays a lot harder and competes on the glass. He actually runs the floor. If you compare the two, Swider is the much better all around player.

People talk that Buddy could be a good open spot shooter in the NBA. If That’s the case, just imagine what Cole could do. He’s bigger, more athletic and just as good a shooter. He can manipulate getting into the lane without having to back his man down. He also plays a lot harder and competes on the glass. He actually runs the floor. If you compare the two, Swider is the much better all around player.
Cole was rated much higher coming out of HS.

Buddy isn’t better than Cole. He just has a higher usage, more minutes,more shots.

It’s not a knock on Buddy the kid has done fine but if we could only have one of the two back next season it should be Cole all day long.

Not uncommon for the guard to inbound but doesn’t seem like he does it much.
For SU, it’s much more common to see Buddy inbound in that situation to one of our bigs with buddy trying to come around behind to shoot the three.

So even if Joe doesn’t rifle it to Buddy’s feet what’s he supposed to do with ball in corner and 6 seconds on shot clock
We could set a screen anywhere on the floor to try to get either Buddy or Swider open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom