Postgame Thoughts… VCU | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… VCU

Maybe JB should start wearing suits again. I'm half serious. Looks good in a suit (selected by Juli). He looks tired in casual attire. Maybe that rubs off.
Back to your regular programming.

I remember thinking to myself after the end of the year what a weird-ass situation we're in where we come off a Sweet 16 year and we could conceivably have had every starter come back plus our top three reserves and instead we wind up with 6 departures, 2 new starters, and 3 new reserves. I mean in the old days, that Sweet 16 team would be thinking about taking the next step towards a championship rather than taking the next step towards establishing their brand. Not saying that it was good or even advisable for everyone to come back but we clearly should have been panicking even more than we were back then.

A new generation of kids who have no loyalty to programs who have never really had loyalty to them is not surprising to me and is not necessarily our coach's fault but if coach can't deal with the new system, then he needs to step aside.
Agreed. But Marek was a senior and graduated and Griff was def a one year rental. But we def lost four guys that we shouldn’t have.

Coach is saying in the postgame presser that Jesse has to stay in the game for us to be successful and he's right. The problem is that Jesse has an impossible job. If the top of the zone can't stop dribble penetration, then it's essentially 3 on 1 or 3 on 2 in the paint and Jesse can't be expected to stay out of foul trouble if he's repeatedly put into that situation. The top of the zone is the weakest it's been since White-Gillon and Edwards can't be expected to clean up the mess every possession.

I remember thinking to myself after the end of the year what a weird-ass situation we're in where we come off a Sweet 16 year and we could conceivably have had every starter come back plus our top three reserves and instead we wind up with 6 departures, 2 new starters, and 3 new reserves. I mean in the old days, that Sweet 16 team would be thinking about taking the next step towards a championship rather than taking the next step towards establishing their brand. Not saying that it was good or even advisable for everyone to come back but we clearly should have been panicking even more than we were back then.

A new generation of kids who have no loyalty to programs who have never really had loyalty to them is not surprising to me and is not necessarily our coach's fault but if coach can't deal with the new system, then he needs to step aside.
Guys like Few and Drew show that kids can and do have loyalty to coaches and programs that deserve their loyalty.

Coach is saying in the postgame presser that Jesse has to stay in the game for us to be successful and he's right. The problem is that Jesse has an impossible job. If the top of the zone can't stop dribble penetration, then it's essentially 3 on 1 or 3 on 2 in the paint and Jesse can't be expected to stay out of foul trouble if he's repeatedly put into that situation. The top of the zone is the weakest it's been since White-Gillon and Edwards can't be expected to clean up the mess every possession.
Jesse is a nice player but our success shouldnt hinge on him.

The red flag was that, by all accounts, the four guys who left all decided to do so long before the season ended. Something was broken last year, and it seems like it has been all too often with this program culturally for a while now.

Next 4: ASU/Baylor, Indiana, Florida State, Villanova. I’m afraid we’re going to be 2-6 going into the Georgetown game.

Ehhhhhhhhhh, I think you've said this before too - we're like a zoned up Notre Dame (minus their athleticism), so, you gotta figure in at least one of those games we go bananas from three and blow someone out.

That's such a Notre Dame thing to do, so why not for us too?

I'm going with 3-5!

We are at least guaranteed to not play Uconn right? I couldn't take a pasting against them after what is coming tomorrow. I had Auburn today but I don't mind losing that one if it means we don't play them.

We might be able to beat ASU if that is who we get

Remember, the way this team is built, we will have some What wins to go with the terribleness we’ve witnessed over the past week. I said before that I don’t cotton to a team who is banking on offense. Offense is just too inconsistent and also, although I give the coaching staff a wide latitude normally, I will say that JB seems to have completely stopped coaching or planning any offensive organization starting in about 2013. So this being an “offensive” team was a red flag. It is absolutely inconsistent, especially given that our strength appears to be simply “making three pointers” and JB does nothing to teach the team to generate quality shots.

Next 4: ASU/Baylor, Indiana, Florida State, Villanova. I’m afraid we’re going to be 2-6 going into the Georgetown game.

We've got two more games in Atlantis. G'town is the 10th game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom