Postgame Thoughts… VCU | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… VCU

Lol. Jimmy is light years behind Marek as a playmaker/passer, let alone wanting to be similar to G
8 assists today for the team. Yup cole and jimmy averaged 3 assists combined their last full seasons.

Last edited:
The saddest part of the game for me was watching Girard try to play point guard. He really struggled just to bring the ball upcourt against token pressure. I don't think I've ever seen an SU point guard with less speed and handling skill than him. I like the guy and he could be an exciting 6th man scorer on a good team. But when I think of all the greats who have played the position at SU and then think about Girard's struggles tonight, I get sad.

Defense. It is, was, and ultimately always will be…the defense. Personally, any team that hopes to “out score” an opponent, rather than shut them on the other end, becomes a non-starter for me.
I’ll say it again: I loathed the Andrew White/John Dillon team for just that reason. They seemed mercenary, cobbled together, and a mish-mosh of assorted parts, especially on defense.
It’s early still, but the last 2 games are beyond disturbing.

Not sure why that matters? Our recruiting would still stink
I guess that’s the part I don’t understand. How did our recruiting collapse so badly?

The saddest part of the game for me was watching Girard try to play point guard. He really struggled just to bring the ball upcourt against token pressure. I don't think I've ever seen an SU point guard with less speed and handling skill than him. I like the guy and he could be an exciting 6th man scorer on a good team. But when I think of all the greats who have played the position at SU and then think about Girard's struggles tonight, I get sad.
He’s no Pearl

Had a buddy of mine refer to this team as “special” and told me and a bunch of our friends we’d be at least a 6 seed come march. they were out there.
I thought we could be that too! But I’m not a HOF coach with a 50+ year resume who should know how to construct a roster that can be an NCAA tourney team every season.

Defense. It is, was, and ultimately always will be…the defense. Personally, any team that hopes to “out score” an opponent, rather than shut them on the other end, becomes a non-starter for me.
I’ll say it against n: I loathed the Andrew White/John Dillon team for just that reason n. They seemed mercenary, can’t bled together, and a mish-mosh of assorted parted, especially on defense.
It’s early still, but the last 2 games are beyond disturbing.
That Gillon was really fun offensively to watch at least

I'm wondering if we could pick up a guard for the Spring term? Doubtful they could turn things around but it might make us more watchable.

PG is an issue, no doubt. Forward depth, also an issue. Athleticism an issue. Ball handling. Ok. But getting dominated by Colgate and VCU ... I mean, no. I didn't see us being thi
PG is the issue, offensively and defensively. We have someone with the exact same skill set as Buddy bringing the ball up the floor.

How there is no substitution in the 2nd half for Joe is mind bottling. No adjustment when its clear he can't make the first pass? Not even for 4 min? If Frank Howard is the best we can do for the most important position in college basketball over the last 8 years, its time to hang it up.

PG is the issue, offensively and defensively. We have someone with the exact same skill set as Buddy bringing the ball up the floor.

How there is no substitution in the 2nd half for Joe is mind bottling. No adjustment when its clear he can't make the first pass? Not even for 4 min? If Frank Howard is the best we can do for the most important position in college basketball over the last 8 years, its time to hang it up.
Frank would make this team 100x better

This.

The only way our roster construction makes any sense, is if it’s built around a guard that can get by his man and collapse a defense and/or we have a post presence.

We possess neither.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom