Postgame Thoughts… VCU | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… VCU

well...in order to justify playing the starters a lot of minutes there couldnt be good bench options...so there arent any.
Well okay that makes sense.

5-23 from three, and the looks were not good. Last game we got beat by 11 3's made. Guerrier > Jim/Cole from three so far.

5-23 from three, and the looks were not good. Last game we got beat by 11 3's made. Guerrier > Jim/Cole from three so far.
Jimmy was never a great 3pt shooter so that wasn’t the expectation when he came here, and at least he’s scoring other ways. Agree on Cole - if he plays well tonight we win, and he was bad

It only hinges on him because we have no other real D-1 option at center currently. And our guards are doing their part to make sure he's planted on the bench.
It's amazing to think about the difference in the way today's guards play the zone compared to the Rautins, and Triche, and MCWs of the past. JB has the forwards playing so far up that the guards really only cover about half of the area that the greats of the past had to guard. Yet they still give up dribble and passing penetration, as well as open shots. And the forwards being so far out means Jesse is literally on an island, and he also has to cover the corners. Oh how I long for actual athletes to play guard at SU again.

Symir Torrence is the only player with a positive plus minus in VCU game.

As bad as he is at scoring, He needs to be the starting PG.

JG3 had the worst plus minus of all Syracuse players.

Vs any team that pressures like VCU/Houston...JG3 cannot be the PG.
I suspect teams will press us all year, even if they aren’t typically pressing teams. It totally throws off any sort of rhythm on offense

With the way Cole is shooting I dont know how Girard was finding the assist numbers. Feels like hes been like 3-35 since the exhibitions.

I suspect teams will press us all year, even if they aren’t typically pressing teams. It totally throws off any sort of rhythm on offense

Buddy, Jimmy, and cole need to bring the ball up when they do. Let Sy and Girard be worried about the half-court alone. Worrying about both gets them out of rythum and will never create a fast break, ever. At least Girard can pull up from 3 in transition.

JG3 had the worst plus minus of all Syracuse players.
Weird. Wasnt mentioned in JBs presser.

Just listened to most of it...

His first long mention about a PG on the team was the following commentary:
"One thing I told him was that you can't drive and lay it up on these guys and the first play he tried to shoot a layup and two guys blocked it. I mean...you got to be smarter than that as a point guard and he's got to be able to take the ball and beat the pressure...he didnt do that"

This was about Symir, by the way.

"One thing I told him was that you can't drive and lay it up on these guys and the first play he tried to shoot a layup and two guys blocked it. I mean...you got to be smarter than that as a point guard and he's got to be able to take the ball and beat the pressure...he didnt do that"

Could be a doghouse. Too soon to tell.

We shot 24% in the first half, but imo, the offense looked better. We missed so many chippies inside. The second half we were so flustered by the press, there was like no ball movement.

Joe has more runway for inexplicable and poor play than maybe any player ever without ramifications.

Unreal.

These teams are focusing their defensive strategy on overwhelming him bc of his deficiencies that are glaring to anyone with eyes.

I dunno. It’s not who transferred or whatever at this point. The team is structured this way. It’s a feature, not a bug.

Just hear me out. We Needed Joe for scoring? Cole was averaging about 2 ppg tonight, buddy and Jimmy 11-31. Problem is after a pg passes it off he doesn't want the ball back and jogs through the lane to the other side to hide with 18 seconds on the clock. Buddy and Jimmy would want the ball back against a press immedietly. Your playing against a press might as well go down and up instead of slow it down. Girard needs to be SG against press for those reasons. This isnt about whether Girard can average 1 turnover a half against a press, its about momentum.

Joe needs to hang over half-court and pop transition 3's or find our centers/Benny, or wait for the others to get down the court then run the offense instead of running away from it like he just beat the press. Curious on how many possessions he got the ball back after beating the press and with how little on the clock and to what advantage (0 assists). We ran 4 v 5 offense the second half and Girards not getting the ball back to its down to 10-12 seconds (with a defender all over that would give sophmore trevor cooney nightmares) vs 17-20 (in a pull up motion) from the other guys. You dont take the guy who has to work hardest to get the ball(speed size wingspan), and make him beat the press when hes your second best scorer it kills transition entirely; and took a guy who had 27 7 and 8 last game, point guard and sg skills away.

Last edited:
I never say this, but the sky is falling on this program. This team had really high expectations. These two performances show absolutely zero adjustments and the worst coaching I have seen from JB ever. Yet he will blame the players and not take accountability. Boy oh boy what the F
It’s not coaching or adjustments. It’s team composition.

There are no levers to pull.

Nobody expected Joe Girard to be a 4 year starting PG playing. 30 MPG When we recruited him.

Girard has gotten better this year.
Jim Boeheim has built a roster where we only have small rotation and don’t have a bench that can even play. We have had a bench in the past of players who atleast were division 1 players.
Now we have 8 players. No chance for any questions on the rotation.
The hubris of Jim Boeheim is the problem.
We don’t have a roster that is close to as good people said.
This mentioned all offseason.

It wasn’t hard. Watch top 10 teams and watch us it’s a different sport.
Shooting is a nice skill but we need a friggin complete team.
It won’t happen till we have a coaching change.
The next coach won’t be as good.

With the knowledge you have of the team...the composition was by choice or did we just not get the guys we wanted?
Obviously the season is not over yet, but of course it was by choice. JB constructed this team, and he, like a lot of others thinks they’ll be good…eventually.
I have to agree though that i’m running out of excuses as to why JB insists on using JG3 in the way he does. His skill set screams “off the ball SG”…to everyone BUT the HC. Inexplicable.

This team has no chance to compete in the ACC this year at a level that will get them to the NCAA tournament. The ceiling just isn't there. No one can beat their man off the bounce or create offense in some form. I hate to say it but half this team can hardly handle the rock at a high D1 level. Its beyond scary and to be honest, shocking. When Buddy is your second best ball handler by a wide margin, for 35 min a game, behind only JG3 who is well below average in this department as far as point guards are concerned, the writing is on the wall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom