Potential 2021 Roster | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Potential 2021 Roster

I wonder if JUCO transfer Bradford comes in and takes a spot at T or G. If not, he should at least improve the 2 deep.

I wonder if JUCO transfer Bradford comes in and takes a spot at T or G. If not, he should at least improve the 2 deep.
Well, we have returning starters at all 4 positions, plus another player who started in the SEC for Florida as a freshman. Bradford sounds like a pretty good prospect but not the type that is going to come in and pass a bunch of bigger, stronger, more experienced players to win a starting job.

I think a more realistic goal for him for his first season would be to win a spot on the second team at OT or OG. That in and of itself would be a good achievement for him.

This is what my two deep looks like right now:

Tackles

Starters Bergeron, Servais

Backups Red, Barclay, Petry, Cruz, Kauhi

Guard

Starters D Davis, Bleich

Backups Tisdale, P Davis?, Ellis, Bradford, Heoh

Center

Starter Froumy

Backups Vetterello, Kosciol, Ilaoa

Cruz and Ellis are youngsters to keep an eye out for. We have a bunch of good young OL but based on what I saw on tape, those two might be a little ahead of the others right now in terms of raw talent.

Well, we have returning starters at all 4 positions, plus another player who started in the SEC for Florida as a freshman. Bradford sounds like a pretty good prospect but not the type that is going to come in and pass a bunch of bigger, stronger, more experienced players to win a starting job.

I think a more realistic goal for him for his first season would be to win a spot on the second team at OT or OG. That in and of itself would be a good achievement for him.

Tackles

Guard

Starters D Davis, Bleich

Center

Starter Froumy

Cruz and Ellis are youngsters to keep an eye out for. We have a bunch of good young OL but based on what I saw on tape, those two might be a little ahead of the others right now in terms of raw talent.
I think Ilaoa is closer to PT than that. Maybe a lot closer.

Tackles

Guard

Starters D Davis, Bleich

Center

Starter Froumy

There's still a couple offers out for OTs I think including the Tyler kid at Texas. I think the staff wants to add one game ready OT and then maybe move Servais back to Center. I know it didn't work out in 2019 but he was playing at a Tackle weight then.

Looking forward to a lot of competition in Spring and Summer Camp

There's still a couple offers out for OTs I think including the Tyler kid at Texas. I think the staff wants to add one game ready OT and then maybe move Servais back to Center. I know it didn't work out in 2019 but he was playing at a Tackle weight then.

Looking forward to a lot of competition in Spring and Summer Camp
If we have learned anything during our time playing in the ACC, it should be that the conference is physical, there is a toll that must be paid to get through the 8 conference games and 4 OOC games and quality depth or extreme good luck is needed to get through the season without a major fallout due to injuries.

Glad we are seeing some major improvements in terms of depth for the OL. Hoping to see some more on the DL. It is great we are getting 3 of our seniors back on the DL but we need more numbers for these positions for the future. More depth on the DL please.

Tackles

Guard

Starters D Davis, Bleich

Center

Starter Froumy

It’s really good timing for a new OL coach to come in. There’s a lot of talent and a new coach will have a fresh slate with evaluations and hopefully make it a true competition in spring and pre-season. I think Cav gave some guys too long a leash at times when they were clearly struggling.

It’s really good timing for a new OL coach to come in. There’s a lot of talent and a new coach will have a fresh slate with evaluations and hopefully make it a true competition in spring and pre-season. I think Cav gave some guys too long a leash at times when they were clearly struggling.

THIS.

A new OL coach means literally everybody has to audition for a job.
No preconceived notions or opinions.

May the best 5 win, whomever they are!

PS - they should try literally ALL of the OL out at C, at least a little bit.
Find out who might be able to be the 2, 3, & 4 there, rather than having to shift another starter (looking at you, Airon) out of their natural position, which then means we have two sub-optimal fits on the line.

listening to what KC does.. they have every player play every spot every practice.. Cross training is a thing and we have many complaining that we do it.. This isnt the Center trying to be a PG thing or a catcher trying to pitch.. its more like a 3rd basemen playing first.

I want a spring game, and I want to be there.

Enough of this.
Sign me up. I can't think if a reason to reject it out of hand. If they can host lacrosse games at the dome, they can host a spring football game.

Have you seen the SU lacrosse fans? OMG!

If they think they can keep those people clean and safe, they can easily handle football fans. Just be sure to order a lot of those 100 gallon tubs of Purrell and deploy them before the spring game.

[Please note that this was an inside joke for Eric, Jeremy, the Wilson bros, Greener and my all my other lax fan brothers. I used the sarcasm font. Do not visit my house with torches tonight.]

Seriously, I so need to see an SU football practice or a spring game. Preferably both. Let me see some of the players running around before Hendrix hurts them all. I am jonesing to see the renovated Dome too. Good lord, please throw me a bone someone!

Last edited:
listening to what KC does.. they have every player play every spot every practice.. Cross training is a thing and we have many complaining that we do it.. This isnt the Center trying to be a PG thing or a catcher trying to pitch.. its more like a 3rd basemen playing first.
Im not sure why people dont understand this. Very common practice. We know there is issues with line development but cross training has nothing to do with it. I think people see our struggles and look for anything they can put their finger on that explains why.

Last edited:
I remember reading we did it in 90's too.

Tackles

Guard

Starters D Davis, Bleich

Center

Starter Froumy

Cool exercise. I see it a little differently:

LT Bergeron
LG Bleich
C Either Ilaoa or Froumy -- Vetterello demoted
RG D. Davis
RT Servais

Second Unit:
T Red
G Tisdale
G / C / T Vetterello -- playing a variety of roles
T Barclay
C / G -- either Ilaoa or Froumy
OT - Bradford, who makes a push for the two-deep - hope he gets here for spring practice to accelerate learning curve

Cruz is the top OL recruit we've had in awhile, but he might need a year to add weight.

I'd be surprised if any of the true frosh OL play, but Ellis has a shot due to size.

Don't expect Petry to play much, but hope he surprises.

Obviously, injuries have totally derailed the OL these past two seasons. Nobody has a crystal ball to predict how things will unfold this year, but being able to field a LEGITIMATE two-deep -- with guys who have been former starters potentially shifting to the second unit -- shows that on paper the depth is improving substantially. Which in turn implies that better performance might follow suit.

Of course, injuries could always strike again -- but with improved depth, even a key injury or two shouldn't completely tank this positional unit.

Last edited:
Cool exercise. I see it a little differently:

LT Bergeron
LG Bleich
C Either Ilaoa or Froumy -- Vetterello demoted
RG D. Davis
RT Servais

Second Unit:
T Red
G Tisdale
G / C / T Vetterello -- playing a variety of roles
T Barclay
C / G -- either Ilaoa or Froumy
OT - Bradford, who makes a push for the two-deep - hope he gets here for spring practice to accelerate learning curve

Cruz is the top OL recruit we've had in awhile, but he might need a year to add weight.

I'd be surprised if any of the true frosh OL play, but Ellis has a shot due to size.

Don't expect Petry to play much, but hope he surprises.

Obviously, injuries have totally derailed the OL these past two seasons. Nobody has a crystal ball to predict how things will unfold this year, but being able to field a LEGITIMATE two-deep -- with guys who have been former starters potentially shifting to the second unit -- shows that on paper the depth is improving substantially. Which in turn implies that better performance might follow suit.

Of course, injuries could always strike again -- but with improved depth, even a key injury or two shouldn't completely tank this positional unit.
Could be.

I think it is harder to do these depth charts today than it has in all the time I have been a fan. I haven’t seen so many of these players play a snap at the college level. Relying totally in HUDL videos is a lot harder than watching the team scrimmage and seeing how players handle themselves mano a mano.

I will say Cruz is listed at 285 now, before getting exposed to a P5 level nutrition and weight training program. With little or no baby fat. His film jumps off the page to me. I think he might be special.

Could be.

I think it is harder to do these depth charts today than it has in all the time I have been a fan. I haven’t seen so many of these players play a snap at the college level. Relying totally in HUDL videos is a lot harder than watching the team scrimmage and seeing how players handle themselves mano a mano.

I will say Cruz is listed at 285 now, before getting exposed to a P5 level nutrition and weight training program. With little or no baby fat. His film jumps off the page to me. I think he might be special.
Any word on the status of Patrick Davis ? if he returns he would make a push for some quality ( PT. )

I hope that we see the TEs used. Physically they look the part. Need to get some size at the outside spots at WR. Would like to see Taj in the slot. The team has plenty of weapons if the Oline can improve which it should with healthy players and better coaching we might just go bowling.

Nothing like a bowl of Gumbo in Shrevport for Christmas

I would just like to see SU enter August practice with five guys who are healthy and can work preseason camp together prior to the first game. Or at least work together for most of camp. We have to sort any issues out prior to game 1 and get these guys on the same page. After that, please just stay healthy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom