Potential 2025 Roster | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Potential 2025 Roster

2025 Roster has been updated -

John Mullen and freshman Jack Schell have the same number (36)

I think the only players I was maybe expecting back who aren't listed are Nick Fraterrigo and Patrick Duffy.

I count 55 players and all freshmen look to be accounted for.

2025 Roster has been updated -

John Mullen and freshman Jack Schell have the same number (36)

I think the only players I was maybe expecting back who aren't listed are Nick Fraterrigo and Patrick Duffy.

I count 55 players and all freshmen look to be accounted for.

I got 56.

Gibbs is now a SSDM.

Any true freshmen or rising sophomores were anticipating to see significant playing time this upcoming season? I know it’s very early but just curious if anyone has a gage. I’ll throw out a few names…

Tyler McCarthy
Peyton Anderson
Matt McIntee
Dillon Stephens
Donny Scott

Definitely need some youngsters to step up at middie. Whether that be offense or defense

Are Joey and Trey commuting back and forth for class/fall ball? Or just partaking in the World Games...

Any true freshmen or rising sophomores were anticipating to see significant playing time this upcoming season? I know it’s very early but just curious if anyone has a gage. I’ll throw out a few names…

Tyler McCarthy
Peyton Anderson
Matt McIntee
Dillon Stephens
Donny Scott

Definitely need some youngsters to step up at middie. Whether that be offense or defense

On offense, I think a lot depends on who gets that last spot on attack next to Spallina and Hiltz. To me, I think the front runners are Anderson and Deere. They are two very different players, Deere more of a finisher and Anderson more of a dodger. For what the offense needs, I would rather see Anderson get the nod, given that I think the attack needs more of a dodging element. But I also have a hard time seeing Deere sit on the bench for another season, and Anderson could always play midfield.

My best guess at a depth chart would look something like:
Attack: Spallina, Hiltz, Deere
Midfield 1: Thomson, English, Leo
Midfield 2: Rhoa, Birtwistle, Anderson

That leaves the younger players without a lot of avenues to playing time on offense. But things could change dramatically if Anderson nabs the attack spot, and perhaps someone like Kellogg, McCarthy or McIntee gets that last midfield spot. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Hottle make the move to offense and get that last spot. McCarthy, Hottle and Kellogg were all a little underwhelming on that side of the field last year, but now they have a season under their belt.

I'm excited about Stephens and Scott on defense. That said they also have older players they would need to jump on the depth chart. Nick Caccamo and Caden Kol are back and they split that third close defenseman spot last year. Kol struggled off ball last year and Caccamo got beat off the dodge more than I would like. Kol was a captain last year and Caccamo was the team's best defender two years ago. It's a tall order to pass either one, but neither locked down that spot last year the way that Figuerias and Dwan did. I could see either Stephens or Scott nab that spot if the two vets continue to struggle. Scott could also play LSM, a position that seems wide open behind Mike Grace.

hiltz and anderson are very different players but they both occupy the same parts of the field, mostly operating above the cage and from the wing...thus i would be surprised if anderson plays attack...not sure how that works...plus given his size, speed, and downhill dodging ability he seems tailor made to be a college midfielder, at least in his first year...

On offense, I think a lot depends on who gets that last spot on attack next to Spallina and Hiltz. To me, I think the front runners are Anderson and Deere. They are two very different players, Deere more of a finisher and Anderson more of a dodger. For what the offense needs, I would rather see Anderson get the nod, given that I think the attack needs more of a dodging element. But I also have a hard time seeing Deere sit on the bench for another season, and Anderson could always play midfield.

That leaves the younger players without a lot of avenues to playing time on offense. But things could change dramatically if Anderson nabs the attack spot, and perhaps someone like Kellogg, McCarthy or McIntee gets that last midfield spot. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Hottle make the move to offense and get that last spot. McCarthy, Hottle and Kellogg were all a little underwhelming on that side of the field last year, but now they have a season under their belt.

I'm excited about Stephens and Scott on defense. That said they also have older players they would need to jump on the depth chart. Nick Caccamo and Caden Kol are back and they split that third close defenseman spot last year. Kol struggled off ball last year and Caccamo got beat off the dodge more than I would like. Kol was a captain last year and Caccamo was the team's best defender two years ago. It's a tall order to pass either one, but neither locked down that spot last year the way that Figuerias and Dwan did. I could see either Stephens or Scott nab that spot if the two vets continue to struggle. Scott could also play LSM, a position that seems wide open behind Mike Grace.
I see Grace in the 3rd close spot.

I gotta be honest, if Kol is playing close this teams ceiling is limited. He has flat out proven, he isn’t good enough against top tier competition. I hate ripping on kids, but it was blatantly obvious he was the weak link at close defense last year

They need to get Deere in there- he's too good to be riding the pine. Agree though that this would still leave us without an elite dodger, which is what we sorely needed last year.

May be some similar situations to last year where we want to hit teams with the shock and awe dodging lineup and do things like sub Deere for Anderson, similar to how we switched out Mule for Leo at times later in games. Deere is likely not going to be a major dodging threat, but he has the potential to provide what we needed more of last year, a guy who can catch and finish the rock at an elite rate, whether it is around the crease or an outside shot. Hot take, but that was needed MORE than another dodger on the attack line. There is a reason most teams put a long pole on Jake Taylor for ND despite him doing nothing off the dodge. Mule did a lot of good things for us but was not particularly strong in those areas. Deere will also be better for setting picks/creating two man game looks behind the cage, and we should see some nice chemistry between him and Spallina.

When we want to get some good old fashioned drawn slides Anderson is right there, as is Leo. It did not seem to cause too many issues having Leo and Hiltz out there at attack together, despite them both liking to dodge from the left wing rather than behind the cage. The rumor of Leo staying at middie this season has me thinking the staff likes what we are seeing from Deere and/or Anderson.

Third attack spot remains a complete mystery right now. I know a lot of people want Deere but as we noted last year and someone mentioned above he doesn't solve the doding issue from last year, if anything he exacerbates it. I believe that's why Anderson has been getting some run at attack.

Nyclax does make a good point that both he and Hiltz on the same attack line would be awkward but I think it's doable especially if SU isn't going to move Leo which doesn't appear to be the case from what I have been told.

Deere I think will see time perhaps at attack or the 2nd mid line but I don't think him starting at attack and staying there the whole year is really realistic.

One mans opinion, but I think Hiltz and Spallina provide more than enough dodging/initiating on the attack line. What Spallina lacks in speed he more than makes up for with his feeding ability and ability to create looks/get separation by initiating contact. Only the top of the top defenders have bottled him up and no team has dared to try anything other than draping their top defender on him for a reason. Hiltz can do it all, whether you need speed or a precision feed. Had a slow start to the season but was in many ways the MVP of our offense down the stretch. Maybe I would feel different if we did not have so many match up problems out of the midfield, but given that we do (English, Leo, Rhoa, Anderson) Deere seems like a perfect candidate for the third spot. He is perfect for our offense.

I wonder if they let Joey take the dodges from X this season and have Deere pop off the crease for him to feed? I guess thinking of Shelly and Xander at UVA and how successful they were, and it feels like we have that same type of pairing to use if we choose to run similar schemes?

Hiltz is a more capable dodger than people give him credit for. He doesn’t dodge to feed but he can beat his matchup to score occasionally.

I’m a huge lax fan but lack knowledge in the X’s and O’s. I think Deere is too talented not to play significant minutes. But watching Anderson’s tape, he has the chance to be an elite dodger.

Wonder if we see a lot of inverting from our middies this year?

Hard to see a Spallina, Hiltz, Deere line working with their styles of play.

It would work against most teams but ACC and peer teams it will be a struggle at times. Hiltz and Deere don't have the dodging ability to compliment Joey. Have to have a secondary dodger on the attack line.

Last edited:
Deere looked like he was playing hockey with out skates last year. If he doesn't improve his speed and the speed of his decision making, he won't get run.

It woudl work against most teams but ACC and peer teams it will be a struggle at times. Hiltz and Deere don't have the dodging ability to complicate Joey. Have to have a secondary dodger on the attack line.

Jeremey, any idea if Jackson Birtwistle might get a look? He's shown to be an excellent finisher, who can occasionally dodge, has good size and perhaps most important of all, he's a righty. He's had some injury issues of course, and last year was kind of a bust, but I've always wondered how he would look at attack.

Jeremey, any idea if Jackson Birtwistle might get a look? He's shown to be an excellent finisher, who can occasionally dodge, has good size and perhaps most important of all, he's a righty. He's had some injury issues of course, and last year was kind of a bust, but I've always wondered how he would look at attack.

Birtwistle not getting more of a look has always been one of the things under Gait I didn't understand. He looked great in Gait's initial year when he came back healthy and got a shot and put up a bunch of points. For whatever reason SU never gave him another shot. I am sure there is a rationale the staff has but I was surprised he hasn't gotten some run there like at all. I find it highly unlikely he will get a shot this year. I suspect he will be back on the 2nd midline and potentially man up unit.

May be some similar situations to last year where we want to hit teams with the shock and awe dodging lineup and do things like sub Deere for Anderson, similar to how we switched out Mule for Leo at times later in games. Deere is likely not going to be a major dodging threat, but he has the potential to provide what we needed more of last year, a guy who can catch and finish the rock at an elite rate, whether it is around the crease or an outside shot. Hot take, but that was needed MORE than another dodger on the attack line. There is a reason most teams put a long pole on Jake Taylor for ND despite him doing nothing off the dodge. Mule did a lot of good things for us but was not particularly strong in those areas. Deere will also be better for setting picks/creating two man game looks behind the cage, and we should see some nice chemistry between him and Spallina.

When we want to get some good old fashioned drawn slides Anderson is right there, as is Leo. It did not seem to cause too many issues having Leo and Hiltz out there at attack together, despite them both liking to dodge from the left wing rather than behind the cage. The rumor of Leo staying at middie this season has me thinking the staff likes what we are seeing from Deere and/or Anderson.

Mule seemed to get the yips as the season progressed. He was a good finisher and passer at Lehigh, but at the end of the season last year he just seemed snake bitten. There are a bunch of examples that I would re-litigate If Syracuse did have someone who was burying shots at reasonable rate would we be sitting here asking for a better dodging attackman? Maybe Deere can fill that role, especially given he has played two full summers with Spallina, and like you said their chemistry should be very good.

The contrarian view says teams will start double poling the midfield (English and Leo) and there will be too much pressure on Hiltz and Spallina to create. Thomson hasn't shown the ability to consistently beat a short stick. The Notre Dame offense worked because the guys surrounding Taylor were breaking their defenders down (not just the Kav brothers, but all three midfielders were good dodgers). Perhaps Spallina and Hiltz can do just enough to beat their defenders consistently, but what if they can't? Having a third guy on attack who can't beat a shorty would again be an issue.

I'm not sure what the right answer is right now. Perhaps there will be a freshman or unknow player who emerges, or like you said it might just come down to who the opponent is. I do wish there was a bit more certainty, but it is what it is. I really like the rest of the roster.

Mule seemed to get the yips as the season progressed. He was a good finisher and passer at Lehigh, but at the end of the season last year he just seemed snake bitten. There are a bunch of examples that I would re-litigate If Syracuse did have someone who was burying shots at reasonable rate would we be sitting here asking for a better dodging attackman? Maybe Deere can fill that role, especially given he has played two full summers with Spallina, and like you said their chemistry should be very good.

The contrarian view says teams will start double poling the midfield (English and Leo) and there will be too much pressure on Hiltz and Spallina to create. Thomson hasn't shown the ability to consistently beat a short stick. The Notre Dame offense worked because the guys surrounding Taylor were breaking their defenders down (not just the Kav brothers, but all three midfielders were good dodgers). Perhaps Spallina and Hiltz can do just enough to beat their defenders consistently, but what if they can't? Having a third guy on attack who can't beat a shorty would again be an issue.

I'm not sure what the right answer is right now. Perhaps there will be a freshman or unknow player who emerges, or like you said it might just come down to who the opponent is. I do wish there was a bit more certainty, but it is what it is. I really like the rest of the roster.
One factor I would still consider is just how many of our goals last year were due to pick plays, skip passes/rotating the ball quickly, exploiting defensive mistakes offball, tight passes to guys barely open on the crease, etc. We have developed an offense that has multiple ways to burn you besides the more traditional beat your man score a goal method (although we have guys for that too when needed). Deere may not be able to draw a slide easily 1v1 on an island, but he could easily draw a slide out of a two man game look or something similar. That still will get slides out of a defense, whether it is a short or long stick on him. Like last year, there may be teams whose style is to not slide unless absolutely necessary (ND/MD/Denver) where you want to have more dodging oriented guys out there, but against the more aggressive slide happy styles of defense (Hop/UVA/UNC) Deere may be just what the doctor ordered.

Looking at our stats last year, we had way too many guys with shooting percentages in the 20s, including more offball oriented guys like Birtwistle. There were several games where I thought the looks generated were solid but we did not capitalize on the finish, whether it was an inside or outside look. If Deere can prove himself as a reliable offball threat from short and long range, that will lead to more balls in the back of the cage with our offensive style. There are more important things than pure speed with our style of offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom