Potential Impact of ACC Championship Game on Seeding | Syracusefan.com

Potential Impact of ACC Championship Game on Seeding

cuse522

2nd String
This obviously being our first year playing in a conference with a title game on Sunday, how will that impact our shot at the 1-seed if it comes down to it? For example, there are a lot of scenarios that could play out where we potentially contend with Duke for a 1 seed and MSG, and we meet them in the conference title game.

In that scenario, does it help or hurt to have it played on Sunday? My gut is that it hurts, because they would save one 1-seed and one 2-seed for the winner/loser, and we'd be less likely to get a 2-seed at MSG. If the game were Saturday, they would be more likely to jostle it so that Duke would get Memphis if it got the 1 and we'd get MSG as a 2 or vice versa. So it would actually hurt both teams, right?

Thus, in my opinion, the key of not letting our 1-seed come down to the ACC Tourney. Win out and lock it up.

I feel like any scenario where we are playing in the ACC final means we've solidified the 1 already.
Most likely scenario for us facing Duke would be in the 2-3 game, which means that would be Saturday and not Sunday.

In that scenario, does it help or hurt to have it played on Sunday? My gut is that it hurts, because they would save one 1-seed and one 2-seed for the winner/loser, and we'd be less likely to get a 2-seed at MSG. If the game were Saturday, they would be more likely to jostle it so that Duke would get Memphis if it got the 1 and we'd get MSG as a 2 or vice versa. So it would actually hurt both teams, right?

I doubt this is exactly how it would go, there are like 3 or 4 other games on Sunday as well. And our game would be over by around 3. Pretty sure they build multiple brackets anyway.

And as for this particular point, it seems unlikely that Duke would get the #1, if they get 1, in a region other than the East. Why would they inconvenience Florida and move them from Memphis to NYC, and put Duke in Memphis over NYC? Just to give us MSG? Seems unlikely.

committee likes to lock up the 1 seeds early. usually 1 seeds are locked up before conference championship games.

Before the ACC Tournament starts we will know our destiny. If we 4-0 we are lock for a 1 seed, if we go 3-1 we will likely need to reach the ACC Final, 2-2 or worse probably win the ACC Tournament barring other teams losing.

I don't think the ACC Tournament will matter unless Duke wins out and we go below 3-1.

Before the ACC Tournament starts we will know our destiny. If we 4-0 we are lock for a 1 seed, if we go 3-1 we will likely need to reach the ACC Final, 2-2 or worse probably win the ACC Tournament barring other teams losing.

I don't think the ACC Tournament will matter unless Duke wins out and we go below 3-1.

nah. If we go 3-1, we are a lock for a 1 seed. there are just not enough teams to compete for it. everyone keeps losing.

3-1 means we only have to win the ACC quarterfinal game.

If we go 2-2 then we would have to win 2 games in the ACC tournament

nah. If we go 3-1, we are a lock for a 1 seed. there are just not enough teams to compete for it. everyone keeps losing.

Teams you should be rooting against from here on out.

Wichita (all it takes is one loss)
Kansas
Duke
Villanova (slightly)
Wisconsin (hottest team right now aside from Wichita and they are moving up the ladder quickly for a possible 2 seed)

3-1 means we only have to win the ACC quarterfinal game.

If we go 2-2 then we would have to win 2 games in the ACC tournament
I agree for the most part. The only reason I said 3-1 would need the ACC Final was if Duke wins out the rest of the season.

I think sadly 2 of the 1 seeds are locked up Florida and the pathetic Wichita State resume. Arizona did a lot this weekend to cement a 1 seed, but they aren't a lock yet for a 1 seed and then Syracuse/Duke/Kansas/Villanova/Wisconsin(if either won out)

Those are the only teams that could get 1 seeds. I don't think Wisconsin or Villanova will win out so its basically 6 teams for 4 spots. Florida, Wichita State, Arizona, Syracuse, Duke, Kansas.

I agree for the most part. The only reason I said 3-1 would need the ACC Final was if Duke wins out the rest of the season.

I think sadly 2 of the 1 seeds are locked up Florida and the pathetic Wichita State resume. Arizona did a lot this weekend to cement a 1 seed, but they aren't a lock yet for a 1 seed and then Syracuse/Duke/Kansas/Villanova/Wisconsin(if either won out)

Those are the only teams that could get 1 seeds. I don't think Wisconsin or Villanova will win out so its basically 6 teams for 4 spots. Florida, Wichita State, Arizona, Syracuse, Duke, Kansas.

Wichita has the least breathing room. One loss and its curtains for them as far as getting a 1 seed
Kansas is next. Lots of losses and they cant afford many more. They basically need to run the table and hope others lose.
Duke is in the next position. Win out and hope others lose. If they drop another game its all but over for them too.

We can afford to lose a game knowing a win or two in the ACC locks it up so I think we are in the best position.

Wichita has the least breathing room. One loss and its curtains for them as far as getting a 1 seed
Kansas is next. Lots of losses and they cant afford many more. They basically need to run the table and hope others lose.
Duke is in the next position. Win out and hope others lose. If they drop another game its all but over for them too.

We can afford to lose a game knowing a win or two in the ACC locks it up so I think we are in the best position.
Wichita State isn't going to lose unless the MVC Commissioner has Dick Bavetta, Bennett Salvadore, and Tony Greene officiate the MVC Championship game and he wants 2 bids in the NCAA Tournament.

Kansas I agree can't survive 2 losses, but their schedule is so ridiculous they can probably survive the loss they are going to take in Stillwater this weekend from desperate Oklahoma State. If Duke loses 1 more game I think they can just book their spot as the 2 seed in the South region.

Syracuse has wiggle room if they beat Maryland, Georgia Tech, and Florida State. Beating Virginia as well would probably make us the number 1 overall seed going into Championship week.

I think as long as we win tonight, beat gt and fsu, and don't lose in the first round of the acct, we are in great shape.

Why do we care so much about seedings? (Include myself here). Is it because deep down we don't have as much confidence in this team as the usual #1 seeds every year, the Kansases, the Dukes and the Kentuckys of the world?

It seems that there's a TON of irrelevant chatter about seeding around here. We went to the Final Four last year as a #4 seed for crying out loud!

We've also won 25 games in a row this year, so it really shouldn't matter where we're seeded. Just wanted to point that out.

Why do we care so much about seedings? (Include myself here). Is it because deep down we don't have as much confidence in this team as the usual #1 seeds every year, the Kansases, the Dukes and the Kentuckys of the world?

It seems that there's a TON of irrelevant chatter about seeding around here. We went to the Final Four last year as a #4 seed for crying out loud!

We've also won 25 games in a row this year, so it really shouldn't matter where we're seeded. Just wanted to point that out.
As mentioned in my why is Pitt not on the bubble thread. Chrism02 has shown the field is rather weak after the top 7 lines. If we get a 1 seed then our 2nd round opponent while it will be a decent team that we should be a clear majority of the time. The 7 line is going to have some frisky teams like Memphis, UConn, Oklahoma, New Mexico I would want to avoid the 7 line rather than the soft 8-9 lines.

However, if we got the 2 seed in the East I would be okay with being the 2 seed because we would have home court advantage till Dallas.

I think you guys are wrong to not consider Louisville a real option. If they win out, they can easily be a 1 seed.

I feel like I've seen the stat thrown around before, but how often does a team that doesn't win its regular season conference title end up being a 1 seed?

The committee has certainly used placeholders for b10 final in the past, resulting in some strange seeds. But acc game is earlier.

Also creating brackets is now easier that they have reduced conference restrictions. I suspect finalists will be on proper lines because of this.

I think it's because we see a great opportunity this year with the msg regional.

Take out msg and probably a little less chatter. I will always talk about it because I enjoy bracketing / bubble.

I feel like I've seen the stat thrown around before, but how often does a team that doesn't win its regular season conference title end up being a 1 seed?

Great question. I would bet (this means I am totally making it up) that like 1 out of 10 #1 seeds don't at least win a share of their conference regular season

Checked the last 3 seasons, one team out of 12. Duke in 2011. Finished 1 game behind UNC and then beat the in the ACC final.

I think it's because we see a great opportunity this year with the msg regional.

Take out msg and probably a little less chatter. I will always talk about it because I enjoy bracketing / bubble.

No way we rattle off a 25 game winning streak and don't get MSG. I think MSG and the East Regional is a lock at this point. Now it's about whether we're a #1 seed or a #2 seed there.

No way we rattle off a 25 game winning streak and don't get MSG. I think MSG and the East Regional is a lock at this point. Now it's about whether we're a #1 seed or a #2 seed there.

If we lose 4 games we are potentially exposed to duke if they win out. It would be a tossup.

If we lose 5 games we are potentially exposed to Virginia if they won out. Again a tossup.

Msg has not been clinched yet. We certainly control our own destiny with some slack stil

Last edited:
I know this has been talked aobut here before; but I can't see us being the #2 in the East if Duke is the #1; anyone else though in that 1 slot though and we'll be the #2 in the East.

Well my original point is that if it comes down to the wire on Selection Sunday with the ACC title game for what line we're on, that could lead to a spot where they have to pencil in two spots and there's no wiggle room. Thus, we could lose out on MSG if we get a 2 instead of a 1. Whether it's us against Duke, which I know is less likely for Sunday or us against UVa, it could still leave less wiggle room to get MSG.

I care so much because it's MSG. I would rather be a 2 at MSG than a 1 elsewhere.

because some on here have already shelled out the bucks for MSG and SU getting a #1 seed locks that in.

Well my original point is that if it comes down to the wire on Selection Sunday with the ACC title game for what line we're on, that could lead to a spot where they have to pencil in two spots and there's no wiggle room. Thus, we could lose out on MSG if we get a 2 instead of a 1. Whether it's us against Duke, which I know is less likely for Sunday or us against UVa, it could still leave less wiggle room to get MSG.

I care so much because it's MSG. I would rather be a 2 at MSG than a 1 elsewhere.

Do you think they would punish the #1 seed by giving SU that as a 2 seed? I'd be happy with it but annoyed as heck if I were the #1 seed and that happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom