Premier League | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Premier League

Liverpool got a huge win at Southhampton. As bad as the refs have been for SU the Reds got every break at Southhampton. #24 got away with a penalty in the 4th minute and Minoglot got away with a red card in the 44th minute.
Chelsea and Man City are top 4 locks
Arensal-Man U-Southhampton-Liverpool-Tottenham are 5 teams separated by 4 pts crazy race.

Amazing run for 4th going down the stretch. Right now everything is com I ng up Red, and I like Arsenal and Liverpool for the last 2 spots as I have all season.

Southampton is a really good team though. I think they finish 5th and get Europa.

Amazing run for 4th going down the stretch. Right now everything is com I ng up Red, and I like Arsenal and Liverpool for the last 2 spots as I have all season.

Southampton is a really good team though. I think they finish 5th and get Europa.

Liverpool has 3 of 4 PL games at home in March. If they can get 10 points from games against City, Burnley, Swansea and Utd, then they should be in good shape. Big ask though. That's a tough slate.

Liverpool has a really tough schedule down the stretch, but United's is even tougher.

The difference is Liverpool is in the kind of form you want to be in to deal with a tough stretch and Man U is not.

Plus Liverpool just got 6 from back to back games against Tottenham ans Southampton which sure helps a lot.

Chelsea got jobbed so bad it isn't even funny. Matic should have thrown punches, he was going to get red anyways. Would've completely endorsed a sucker punch in that situation.

Liverpool got a huge win at Southhampton. As bad as the refs have been for SU the Reds got every break at Southhampton. #24 got away with a penalty in the 4th minute and Minoglot got away with a red card in the 44th minute.
Chelsea and Man City are top 4 locks
Arensal-Man U-Southhampton-Liverpool-Tottenham are 5 teams separated by 4 pts crazy race.

Allen's was a pen In the 4th minute for sure. I wonder if the Southamton dive in the first minute had the ref weary still on that one? Should've been one the other way as well in the 32nd but Friend was allergic to pk's on the day. I wondered if he took the horrid weather into account on that because the defender went to ground and slid a lot faster and further than he probably expected?

On the Mignolet thing I'll ask my buddy who is a ref when he gets back. Still frames don't do it justice since he either handled onto his side or hit his side onto his hand. I think its the latter but I can't even tell watching replays and I'm not sure if intent matters or not. What I do know is the ref was on the other side of the field yet and the linesmen was way out of position to make the call. It would be great if refs were interviewed post game so we could know what they were thinking.

I hated our starting lineup and Southampton bossed the game in the first half aside from a Coutinho wonder strike. Moreno came on at half which solidified our defense a bit then we looked the part once we had a recognized striker on the pitch since S' ton had to sit a bit deeper. Sturridge needs to be a bit unselfish though as I feel we've left goals out there when he decides to go it alone vs pass back across the middle.

Will be interesting to see if we can get anything from the City game. Maybe they'll be tired from scoring so many against Newcastle and squaring off with Barca tomorrow?

Chelsea got absolutely jobbed on a handball in the box among others. Matic lost his mind for a second, as probably most of us would, but he'll be lucky if he doesn't get an extended ban next time that happens.

Thought West Ham were a bit unlucky to concede a soft pen in the 6th minute of 5 mins added time as well.

The run in will be crazy now. Arsenal should he in good shape on form and with remaining schedule. United will have a tough go schedule wise and potentially missing Van Porcelain. Southampton have forgotten how to score but are still a bear to break down. Liverpool on a great run of results but I feel that is misleading since we haven't been bossing some games how I'd like. Spurs are still soft at the back and Lloris still lets too many past vs top half clubs but they are capable of outgunning most clubs as well. Will be extremely interested to see if 4th place gets a CL spot or if that will go to an English team winning Europa. That's a curveball that a lot don't mention. Really should be aiming for third place to be safe.

Allen's was a pen In the 4th minute for sure. I wonder if the Southamton dive in the first minute had the ref weary still on that one? Should've been one the other way as well in the 32nd but Friend was allergic to pk's on the day. I wondered if he took the horrid weather into account on that because the defender went to ground and slid a lot faster and further than he probably expected?

On the Mignolet thing I'll ask my buddy who is a ref when he gets back. Still frames don't do it justice since he either handled onto his side or hit his side onto his hand. I think its the latter but I can't even tell watching replays and I'm not sure if intent matters or not. What I do know is the ref was on the other side of the field yet and the linesmen was way out of position to make the call. It would be great if refs were interviewed post game so we could know what they were thinking.

I hated our starting lineup and Southampton bossed the game in the first half aside from a Coutinho wonder strike. Moreno came on at half which solidified our defense a bit then we looked the part once we had a recognized striker on the pitch since S' ton had to sit a bit deeper. Sturridge needs to be a bit unselfish though as I feel we've left goals out there when he decides to go it alone vs pass back across the middle.

Will be interesting to see if we can get anything from the City game. Maybe they'll be tired from scoring so many against Newcastle and squaring off with Barca tomorrow?

Chelsea got absolutely jobbed on a handball in the box among others. Matic lost his mind for a second, as probably most of us would, but he'll be lucky if he doesn't get an extended ban next time that happens.

Thought West Ham were a bit unlucky to concede a soft pen in the 6th minute of 5 mins added time as well.

The run in will be crazy now. Arsenal should he in good shape on form and with remaining schedule. United will have a tough go schedule wise and potentially missing Van Porcelain. Southampton have forgotten how to score but are still a bear to break down. Liverpool on a great run of results but I feel that is misleading since we haven't been bossing some games how I'd like. Spurs are still soft at the back and Lloris still lets too many past vs top half clubs but they are capable of outgunning most clubs as well. Will be extremely interested to see if 4th place gets a CL spot or if that will go to an English team winning Europa. That's a curveball that a lot don't mention. Really should be aiming for third place to be safe.
I think if a English team wins Europa then England would get 5 CL bids.
Has UEFA said whomever wins europa takes one of the the countries bids?

I think 3rd will be a fight between Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham. Man U's road schedule is crazy and Southhampton has trouble finishing in the last 3rd.

I think 3rd will be a fight between Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham. Man U's road schedule is crazy and Southhampton has trouble finishing in the last 3rd.

They haven't said that i've read but if they give Engand a 5th bid they'd have to take it from somewhere else. I can't see any European league signing off on that so just assumed that is what it was.

Out of absolutley nothing as well. I did a double take watching it live... honestly didn't believe that went it.
Yeah, it happened about 20 seconds after I turned the game on. Reminded me of Deivid's goal for Fenerbahce against Chelsea in the UCL a few years back.

Yeah, it happened about 20 seconds after I turned the game on. Reminded me of Deivid's goal for Fenerbahce against Chelsea in the UCL a few years back.

Remarkable memory! Truly identical spots:
maxresdefault.jpg

images

Here's why I don't get the love for Lloris. Spurs have given up 36 goals on the season. That is joint 12th on the table tied with Sunderland and Villa, 2 more than Swans, Stoke, and West Brom, 1 more than Hull and only 1 less than Everton or Palace. Last year they gave up 51 which is one more than our leaky rearguard. Either he isn't that good or they would give up 65 without him. Not sure which TBH.

My understanding is Europa winner gets in, and that does not affect how many go from any particular country, so, if an English team wins Europa then England sends 5 instead of 4. Obviously this spot was taken from somewhere, I don't know where, but its not any of the major leagues.

Kevin Friend and Martin Atkinson both suspended from this weekends PL fixtures after their woes this past weekend.

As a Chelsea fan, it's taken all my power not to come over here and launch an extended rant about the officiating. Nobody wants to hear it since everyone's team has trouble with the officials during the season, but come on. I'm gobsmacked by the officiating last weekend. Anyway, great run-in coming. Very nervous about Chelsea. Mourinho is either a genius, totally off his rocker or both.

As a Chelsea fan, it's taken all my power not to come over here and launch an extended rant about the officiating. Nobody wants to hear it since everyone's team has trouble with the officials during the season, but come on. I'm gobsmacked by the officiating last weekend. Anyway, great run-in coming. Very nervous about Chelsea. Mourinho is either a genius, totally off his rocker or both.

I honestly think its both with Mourinho. He is a puzzling coach in so many ways.

I honestly think its both with Mourinho. He is a puzzling coach in so many ways.

The rational for his nuttiness is that he acts crazy to take the pressure off his players. It makes sense but CFC have looked tight lately (to me) so perhaps it's not working. His man management has been mixed - absolutely brilliant handling of the goalkeeper situation (how many managers have botched having "2 No. 1s") but I wonder if the output of the midfielders, as good as it has been, matches their creativity/potential. Plus, no one is owning up to letting Lampard walk and I don't buy that Mourinho had no say in that decision. Goals from defenders have been carrying us of late and we can play too constricted at times, IMHO.

Or, maybe this is just a typical Mourinho team that starts strong, experiences a midseason lull and finishes strong. City hasn't looked like a title winner yet (though I still predict victory over Barca). My gut tells me Mourinho's not doing the full Keegan but a 5-point margin is not invincible. The dropped points late at City and at Utd still gnaw on me. Never a dull moment at CFC, I'll say that. Loved his random appearance on Goals on Sunday.

Last edited:
The rational for his nuttiness is that he acts crazy to take the pressure of his players. It makes sense but CFC have looked tight lately (to me) so perhaps it's not working. His man management has been mixed - absolutely brilliant handling of the goalkeeper situation (how many managers have botched having "2 No. 1s") but I wonder if the output of the midfielders, as good as it has been, matches their creativity/potential. Plus, no one is owning up to letting Lampard walk and I don't buy that Mourinho had no say in that decision. Goals from defenders have been carrying us of late and we can play too constricted at times, IMHO.

Or, maybe this is just a typical Mourinho team that starts strong, experiences a midseason lull and finishes strong. City hasn't looked like a title winner yet (though I still predict victory over Barca). My gut tells me Mourinho's not doing the full Keegan but a 5-point margin is not invincible. The dropped points late at City and at Utd still gnaw on me. Never a dull moment at CFC, I'll say that. Loved his random appearance on Goals on Sunday.

He's a bit gun shy with all the attacking talent you have BUT being second lowest goals conceded makes it hard to argue that point too hard. I think most of us Fifa afficienados see what we think could be done with Chelsea and think thats how JM should do it.

So much for my "Man City shows up" prediction. This is like watching the USMNT take on Germany. City can't string together more than 2 or 3 passes.

Seems like they came out in the right mindset in the second half. If they can score 1 here, it's game on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom