Premier League | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Premier League

If Liverpool beat Man U on Sunday I think they will finish top 3. That game is huge. Arsenal looks like a good bet for 4th. I think Liverpool could finish 2nd if they keep this form. Chelsea has the title wrapped up even with their poor form recently they have such a huge lead. Liverpool is the only undefeated team in the EPL games since 1-1-15.

Wouldnt go quite that far. I think Arsenal will get 2nd and might yet put some prssure on Chelsea before falling short. If Liverpool win Sunday we're in good shape for 3rd but I wouldn't be surprised if arsenal, liverpool and united finish 2-4 with city dropping fast.

I would like to throw in a prediction, but in all honesty it is too chaotic at this point. Arsenal have been playing well, Liverpool the same and have gone an absurd amount of minutes (500+) without conceding a goal away from Anfield. City are like an enigma at this point. United have an uncanny ability to display a poor run of form, yet still earn points. They have a tough schedule with Liverpool, Chelsea, and City looming. I haven't a clue as to what 2-5 will look like come May.

As for Liverpool, perhaps it was a fluke goal. However, they made adjustments at halftime and looked much more composed after the break. Fluke goals happen when you continue putting pressure on your opponent in the final third. In my opinion, although Swansea had their chances, Liverpool deserved the 3 points today.

Two days later and I feel I can now suitably comment on the gut punch game that happened on Sunday.

Hats off to United. They bossed the first half and both of Mata's finishes were class. LVG had a very good gameplan and in the end you could tell which side had playerss with more experience in big games vs which was young and lacked the moxie to give them issue. I expected Liverpool to come into the game in the second half but 38 seconds in that hope faded. Sans a brilliant Sturridge goal, we never really attained the requisite presure needed to get another goal.

From the Liverpool side, we were a clown show in the first half. United pressed well which caused us to start from way too deep in possession. Too many times when we did briefly gain possession it ended with a nervy pass right to a united player who had obviously been well drilled on where we like to go with outlet passes. Too often when we did get the ball past half way our players would linger on it too long and lose possession or lose space needed to attack. The one golden chance we had Lallana somehow put wide of frame and you kind of had a feeling where the game was going from there. De Gea has been stellar this season but we never really tested him.

Second half was absymal. All the energy Gerrard brought with him quickly disolved with that sudden rush of blood to the head. It was dumb but I understand the overflowing emotion given his last home game vs United and having to watch our horrid first half from the bench. Then playing a man down and chasing goals BR went to Balotelli. What a mess he is and he proceeded to jog, get a yellow card, jog somemore and close nobody down. He came on and was like playing 2 men down and we didn't see kuch of the ball atter as result.

Coutinho is the catalyst for all of our attacking venture. As such LVG figured out what many others have and man marked him out of the game. If you contain him, we come up short of options in a hurry. Raheem was wasted and largely invisible for the match. He certainly didn't look like a player who's agent should be holding out for 150k per week and even before this match I was thinking he goes in the summer. Will be interesting to see what happens with him and also eho we bring on in the summer. The roster purge is almost complete and we know need to find some match winners. I feel we need a second stiker to partner sturridge and if we're not going to run sterling there we may as well move him and find somebody else to fit the role. The thought of Firmino pairing with his countryman behind sturridge is certainly a fun one for me but I can't see him coming unless sterling moves on.

I was very happy for Juan Mata. I loved him at Chelsea, although I understood why Mourinho let him go.

Liverpool seems to have taken a step back offensively since Sturridge's return. The pieces don't fit together as well as you would think.

Gerrard was beyond embarrassing. I would be surprised if he starts again for you before he's gone, unless Henderson were to get injured.

That was a tough loss at home. Europa League for Liverpool next year. Top 4 is decided, except for finishing places.

I was very happy for Juan Mata. I loved him at Chelsea, although I understood why Mourinho let him go.

Liverpool seems to have taken a step back offensively since Sturridge's return. The pieces don't fit together as well as you would think.

Gerrard was beyond embarrassing. I would be surprised if he starts again for you before he's gone, unless Henderson were to get injured.

That was a tough loss at home. Europa League for Liverpool next year. Top 4 is decided, except for finishing places.
Not disagreeing, but Sturridge's goal on ManU was pretty sweet.

Raheem was wasted and largely invisible for the match. He certainly didn't look like a player who's agent should be holding out for 150k per week and even before this match I was thinking he goes in the summer.

Sterling and Liverpool is such a win-win. I can't see it breaking down.

For Liverpool, it would be insane to give up on such a young, promising player. He's underpaid so I get where he is coming from about wanting more money. Bump him up to 100k and go from there.

But, Sterling loses a lot if he moves. He's perfect for Liverpool's attacking style. He's going to get as much run as he can handle. Liverpool isn't going to sell him to ManU/Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs. Where does that leave him? He can become a squad player at one of the Spanish sides or, best case, a semi-regular at a PSG or big Italian team. Where else is he gonna go?

Can't believe this will blow up.

For Liverpool, it would be insane to give up on such a young, promising player. He's underpaid so I get where he is coming from about wanting more money. Bump him up to 100k and go from there.

But, Sterling loses a lot if he moves. He's perfect for Liverpool's attacking style. He's going to get as much run as he can handle. Liverpool isn't going to sell him to ManU/Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs. Where does that leave him? He can become a squad player at one of the Spanish sides or, best case, a semi-regular at a PSG or big Italian team. Where else is he gonna go?

Sterling is getting very bad advice. He's 20 years old, he's very slight of build. He is in the perfect system, and he is a highly valued creative player within that system. If he goes to a bigger club, he has to establish himself again, and he won't have a system where he is expected to be the focal point, and will be put in such a position to succeed. If he were to go "elsewhere", he would find himself playing on the wing, not in the #10 or striker's role.

Chelsea Update and Observations.

Bayern reportedly courting Ivanovic, who (so far) hasn't been offered more than a 1 year deal. Mourinho asked for 4 years. Ivanovic is 31. He is a brilliant right back, but he is a step or two slow as we've reached the business end of the season. At Bayern, he would get to play centerback. That would extend his career. I could see him being tempted to move on.

Mauro Icardi is being pursued as Drogba's replacement, and competition for Remy and Costa. I like him a lot better than some of the others that have been talked about. Icardi has a toughness that Mourinho likes in his players. It would allow Mourinho to rest Costa a bit more. And hopefully Mourinho wasn't just moving his lips when he said that Remy had earned more of an opportunity (and presumably more of Jose's trust).

Wow, what has happened to Gary Cahill? I suppose some of it is that Ivanovic is tailing off, but the two of them are not playing well together at all. Chelsea definitely need a right back with pace in the offseason. Would Mourinho finally move Azpi back to right back and start Felipe Luis on the left more often? Would they let Ivanovic go (for 20M)? Could Luis and Azpi be the full-time fullbacks?

Chelsea needs to either buy Rafael Varane from Real Madrid, or give Kenneth Omeruo a chance at centerback. I love the improvement from Kurt Zouma. His passing is very composed, and he rolls a nice smooth ball across the surface. He has great closing speed and gets back well. Strong in the air, and he has already delivered in big spots. One more year from John Terry, but only play him 25 games or so, to start working in the new guys.

Is Koke better than Oscar in midfield? Who do we have to create, especially if Fabregas is off? Forget Hazard for a minute; I mean who is going to be the number 10 who creates for others (the role Mata used to play so well)?

Can Cuadrado supplant Willian on the right side? Can they co-exist? They seem very similar.

If Chelsea are going to pass on Paul Pogba (at least for this summer) and allow Ruben Loftus-Cheek to really compete for playing time at holding midfield alongside Matic, that would be very interesting. He's a physical specimen. Does he have the technical ability to play at this level?

Petr Cech will be allowed to leave this summer, so Chelsea need a new backup goal keeper. They need somebody decent; not a 40 year old dude. I don't think Jamal Blackman rates.

Will they sell Ramires? (To me, they will likely let one of John Obi Mikel or Ramires leave, and Ramires has a much higher market value - they'd get maybe 10M for Mikel, but 20-25M for Ramires. Carlo Ancilotti is a big fan.

Chelsea need to be deeper next year. Mourinho played a very consistent 11 early in the season, and this created chemistry faster than some of the other contenders, who spent a couple months sorting out their teams (especially when there were World Cup returnees to slowly return to full fitness ...). He HAS to go deeper next year. It would have been nice to have kept Schurlle, for instance. And now with Douglas Costa coming in, well, he's exactly another one of those kind of players, not a big goal scorer (or even a 10+ goal guy).

So, I look at Mourinho, and I look for some more balance in the squad next year. Maybe having achieved a Double in Year 2 (knock wood), he'll have some breathing room to play a few more guys next year. It would be good for the so-called "Ten Year Plan".

Ha! We actually offered him 100k, his agent wants 150k. That's why the talks have stalled and that's why, with 2 years left in the summer, if he doesn't move off that figure he can Adios while we can still get decent money. His agents firm actually split recently so hopefully once that is settled some common sense takes over.

Sterling is getting very bad advice. He's 20 years old, he's very slight of build. He is in the perfect system, and he is a highly valued creative player within that system. If he goes to a bigger club, he has to establish himself again, and he won't have a system where he is expected to be the focal point, and will be put in such a position to succeed. If he were to go "elsewhere", he would find himself playing on the wing, not in the #10 or striker's role.

He hasn't been playing the #10 or striker for us either the past couple matches and looks lost. He would actually be an Interesting player for Chelsea opposite Hazard but I'd rather send him out of country. Will be an interesting summer with Barca bannned from transfers and city in trouble with ffp.

Chelsea Update and Observations.

Bayern reportedly courting Ivanovic, who (so far) hasn't been offered more than a 1 year deal. Mourinho asked for 4 years. Ivanovic is 31. He is a brilliant right back, but he is a step or two slow as we've reached the business end of the season. At Bayern, he would get to play centerback. That would extend his career. I could see him being tempted to move on.

Mauro Icardi is being pursued as Drogba's replacement, and competition for Remy and Costa. I like him a lot better than some of the others that have been talked about. Icardi has a toughness that Mourinho likes in his players. It would allow Mourinho to rest Costa a bit more. And hopefully Mourinho wasn't just moving his lips when he said that Remy had earned more of an opportunity (and presumably more of Jose's trust).

Great post. The offseason action is at the back four. I remain skeptical about Cahill. You are right about Ivanovic and, most importantly, JT can't play a full load next season. He looks tired now and we still have a quarter league season to go. Ideally, I'd like Varane and JT for big games with Zouma playing Carling, early FA and against bottom-10 sides in a centre back rotation system. I'd bring back Ivanovic. He's versatile and part of the fabric of the team. However, there's a trade off to the extent this may be the last time his value is high. Jose will have hard choices if he has to sell equal to bring in a Varane and new striker . Cech (20m) + Ivan (15m) + Obi (8m) = 43m. That's probably close.

Totally agree about playing more guys in midfield. Interesting to see Saleh light it up after leaving CFC. Too bad he didn't get more run out here. I think Ramires stays. Mourinho loves him and he provides great depth (He also scored one of my all-time fav CFC goals in the C-league final v. Barcelona). Obi is probably done. He hasn't exactly been our closer in terms of shutting it done late this season. I'm worried about his injuries, though I'd miss the "shoot" and "He scores when he wants" chants when he gets the ball.

And I still can't get my head around Oscar's play. I know he doesn't like playing in cold weather but with Fabregas and Oscar being a little "Jekyl and Hyde," we need more consistency in midfield whether that comes through adding and playing new squad depth or a big signing.

Top priority next season should be CL and narrowing or eliminating the gap between Bayern/RM/Barca. PSG is poised to be a long-term rival and a perfect comparable for CFC.

Ha! We actually offered him 100k, his agent wants 150k. That's why the talks have stalled and that's why, with 2 years left in the summer, if he doesn't move off that figure he can Adios while we can still get decent money. His agents firm actually split recently so hopefully once that is settled some common sense takes over.
I saw that right after I posted. Will be interesting to see if Fenway management digs in on this one.

He hasn't been playing the #10 or striker for us either the past couple matches and looks lost. He would actually be an Interesting player for Chelsea opposite Hazard but I'd rather send him out of country. Will be an interesting summer with Barca bannned from transfers and city in trouble with ffp.

City has the most interesting offseason. FFP, a gaffer who may be suspect, ageing in the squad and their two titles came through a meltdown and extra-time miracle. I'm not sure the owners are getting the right ROI.

City has the most interesting offseason. FFP, a gaffer who may be suspect, ageing in the squad and their two titles came through a meltdown and extra-time miracle. I'm not sure the owners are getting the right ROI.

The owner never cared about ROI initially and thus they do not have a sustainable squad currently. FFP really punched them in the mouth and, although they've dumped a lot of money into it, their youth setup is far from a functional project. Add to that youth players haven't been going their because their existing youth was never getting played and you have a toxic mix.

The owner never cared about ROI initially and thus they do not have a sustainable squad currently. FFP really punched them in the mouth and, although they've dumped a lot of money into it, their youth setup is far from a functional project. Add to that youth players haven't been going their because their existing youth was never getting played and you have a toxic mix.

I think they are going to bring in a new manager. Someone has to answer for the poor CL performance. They should be a lot more dominant.

If Liverpool beat Man U on Sunday I think they will finish top 3. That game is huge. Arsenal looks like a good bet for 4th. I think Liverpool could finish 2nd if they keep this form. Chelsea has the title wrapped up even with their poor form recently they have such a huge lead. Liverpool is the only undefeated team in the EPL games since 1-1-15.

The narrative is that Chelsea's form is poor right now - and aesthetically it does look that way - but while everyone is busy touting Arsenal and Liverpool's run of form, Chelsea are unbeaten in their last 10 Premier League matches, winning 7 and drawing 3. They only have 2 losses on the year.

The rumor mill is trying to hype Gareth Bale's return to England on the right side of the Chelsea attack, opposite Hazard. That would be a big move, but I'm not sold on Bale. He's fast as hell and could be devastating in Mourhinho's counter-attack, but it would take craaaazy money to get him. I'd rather spend that money on Pogba, if we are going to go nuts on a summer purchase.

I remain skeptical about Cahill. JT can't play a full load next season. Ideally, I'd like Varane and JT for big games with Zouma playing Carling, early FA and against bottom-10 sides in a centre back rotation system. I'd bring back Ivanovic.

And I still can't get my head around Oscar's play. I know he doesn't like playing in cold weather

I agree, the back four needs an injection of speed and youth. I'd like to sign 2 guys, Varane and a really fast right back.

Oscar wants to play in Spain. He's been such a disappointment. I think in part that's why Mourinho and the Chelsea brass have looked to Shaktar - they always play in the cold weather! LOL Maybe there's a guy on Lokomotiv Moscow or one of those Russian or Serbian teams that we could get.

The rumor mill is trying to hype Gareth Bale's return to England on the right side of the Chelsea attack, opposite Hazard. That would be a big move, but I'm not sold on Bale. He's fast as hell and could be devastating in Mourhinho's counter-attack, but it would take craaaazy money to get him. I'd rather spend that money on Pogba, if we are going to go nuts on a summer purchase.

I think Bale would have the same issues Mata did fitting into JM's system to be honest. Plus you have a ton of youth and loan options already in house that would be much more appealing than spending stupid money on Bale.

The narrative is that Chelsea's form is poor right now - and aesthetically it does look that way - but while everyone is busy touting Arsenal and Liverpool's run of form, Chelsea are unbeaten in their last 10 Premier League matches, winning 7 and drawing 3. They only have 2 losses on the year.
Jose always finishes strong. Always.

Jose always finishes strong. Always.

Well, we did have Terry's own goal that cost us the championship last year after we had beaten Liverpool.

Well, we did have Terry's own goal that cost us the championship last year after we had beaten Liverpool.

But they weren't a championship side last year. Realistically, I don't think the current version is a great side but the top teams as a whole are down and that creates the opening. United, Liverpool and Arsenal all on the docket for the run-in so anything can happen.

So not such a great run-in after all. CFC wins the title. Top 4 are basically locked in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom