PUT ALL THE RESOURCES INTO DAN MULLEN | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

PUT ALL THE RESOURCES INTO DAN MULLEN

The ACC is about as close as we’ll ever get to a group of like-minded institutions. I never relished a future of competing against 40-70,000 student state schools (think USF, UCF) which was where Big East football seemed to be going.

Go research the numbers across the country for last years covid year without fans.
The Syracuse football program is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, maybe a half a billion. It is the single most valuable asset the university owns.

The Syracuse football program is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, maybe a half a billion. It is the single most valuable asset the university owns.

That’s not revenue. Stop talking about things you have no clue about. I posted the numbers the other day. Go look for them and educate yourself.

That’s not revenue. Stop talking about things you have no clue about. I posted the numbers the other day. Go look for them and educate yourself.
Here's what I have a clue about. The Syracuse football team and program is a business and the health and success of that business is made or not made by the support of the average football fans in CNY and upstate NY. Well you're losing and or have lost them for years and generations aren't being inculcated in Orange support because they aren't being brought to games. They are even losing the poldtime hardcore people now, this is a very deep hole they're digging.

Here's what I have a clue about. The Syracuse football team and program is a business and the health and success of that business is made or not made by the support of the average football fans in CNY and upstate NY. Well you're losing and or have lost them for years and generations aren't being inculcated in Orange support because they aren't being brought to games. They are even losing the poldtime hardcore people now, this is a very deep hole they're digging.

Nice dodge. None of that is what you said and I responded too. Typical.

Nice dodge. None of that is what you said and I responded too. Typical.
If you have an asset worth hundreds of millions of dollars, you should be able to get money out of that asset that you intend on investing back into that asset. Sell stocks, mortgage future revenue, that's what businesses do.

It should be noted that this project is being fully financed by donors. SU is not 'putting together' any money for it.
The importance of this seems to be overlooked by many here. The university is not spending a penny upfront. The other point that needs to be stressed is that the big money donors believe in JW’s vision for the program.

At some point these programs will be monetized in a more traditional accounting way. College football exists in spite of itself. If college sports were allowed to sell interests in their football teams it would be a tremendous multiple on revenue they are bringing in (the ACC fee alone for football times a healthy multiple probably gets you into the hundreds of millions if these things were ever sold to PE).

In 20 years i'll be curious if players move more forward in getting paid and colleges try and find creative money ways to spin out cash in these operations.

Most people, myself included, thought that when Syracuse got into the ACC and the revenues dramatically increased, the program would have enough financial backing to be able to get back to being very strong. Now it appears that there isn't enough money to do what has to be done to run the program and compete at the tough P5 level. More money has not helped one iota to make the football program more competitive, in fact it's not even as good as it was in the first year in the ACC under Shafer.
Great points. So just where is Syracuse putting ACC revenue? Are they not concerned with keeping the ship afloat? Schools can be bounced out, you know.

If you have an asset worth hundreds of millions of dollars, you should be able to get money out of that asset that you intend on investing back into that asset. Sell stocks, mortgage future revenue, that's what businesses do.

Colleges lost $2BILLION last year due to no fans, parking, concessions, fewer/lower donations. That’s revenue.

Great points. So just where is Syracuse putting ACC revenue? Are they not concerned with keeping the ship afloat? Schools can be bounced out, you know.

Like him you ignore last years revenue hit.

So why can’t we afford a decent “name” coach? One that would actually attract better athletes.
We are already paying a "decent name" coach...

Like him you ignore last years revenue hit.
It was a revenue hit but colleges I argue are worth more now. The endowments are up, tuitions weren’t cut at all and the value of the lands they own (which they pay nothing on) are up appreciably.

Syracuse isn’t going to get an ounce of sympathy from me on a one year revenue miss. As I said school has a lot of levers to pull to leverage the 30mm per they get from ACC.

School is fine financially. The q is do they want to spend more to cut bait. My guess is no because whom ever comes in won’t turn anything around so they will stick w the sunk cost in place

It was a revenue hit but colleges I argue are worth more now. The endowments are up, tuitions weren’t cut at all and the value of the lands they own (which they pay nothing on) are up appreciably.

Syracuse isn’t going to get an ounce of sympathy from me on a one year revenue miss. As I said school has a lot of levers to pull to leverage the 30mm per they get from ACC.

School is fine financially. The q is do they want to spend more to cut bait. My guess is no because whom ever comes in won’t turn anything around so they will stick w the sunk cost in place
They will figure it out when season ticket sales next year crater. And as far as Notre dame goes to helping sales, fans of ACC teams resent Notre Dame and won't go out of their way to see them.

They will figure it out when season ticket sales next year crater. And as far as Notre dame goes to helping sales, fans of ACC teams resent Notre Dame and won't go out of their way to see them.
Subway alumni still exist and roam
The tri state. They will come to the dome for the game.

It’s rooted in Catholicism and generational fandom. The margins may be taking a hit but ND is still a powerful brand in college football

Subway alumni still exist and roam
The tri state. They will come to the dome for the game.

It’s rooted in Catholicism and generational fandom. The margins may be taking a hit but ND is still a powerful brand in college football
But it isn't going to sell any season tickets. If SU takes another humiliating loss to PITT, I think a lot of people will close the book, the checkbook, on buying season tickets to Syracuse football games.

He was a grad assistant at Syracuse. You don’t take no for an answer. Florida didn’t work out, but he had excellent success at miss st. The guy knows offense. He may want a year off or a higher profile coaching position then Syracuse. You go to him with a blank check and have him write down what it will take for him to come here and be head coach. DO IT WILDHACK
Note: The Athletic reports that Mullen's downfall at Florida was his inability to recruit. If you can't recruit effectively at a place like the University of Florida, you're going to have a real hard time recruiting at Syracuse University.

Worth isn’t revenue. Schools aren’t going to sell buildings nor use endowments. I’ll repeat, colleges lost $2B in revenue. The SEC was even borrowing money. It’s not as easy as we have tons of money we can afford to do anything.

Note: The Athletic reports that Mullen's downfall at Florida was his inability to recruit. If you can't recruit effectively at a place like the University of Florida, you're going to have a real hard time recruiting at Syracuse University.

-Florida hasn’t finished with a top 5 class since 2013, well before him. He finished with 2 #9 classs which was tied for the highest recruiting ranking since 2013.

-I read an article the other day that one of the reasons the big Florida schools are not having success is because they have always relied on their home base and not facilities to recruit kids. There facilities apparently are not even close to as nice as the top teams because they had the fertile recruiting territory. And because Recruiting is more national then ever, and Florida is recruited extremely hard, kids are no longer staying in Florida to attend one of the major Florida schools.

- he was able to recruit just fine at Mississippi state and he had great success there. A program that is roughly .500 winning percentage he took to multiple winning seasons, bowl games, and a #1 ranking.

Last edited:
-Florida hasn’t finished with a top 5 class since 2013, well before him. He finished with 2 #9 classs which was tied for the highest recruiting ranking since 2013.

-I read an article the other day that one of the reasons the big Florida schools are not having success is because they have always relied on their home base and not facilities to recruit kids. There facilities apparently are not even close to as nice as the top teams because they had the fertile recruiting territory. And because Recruiting is more national then ever, and Florida is recruited extremely hard, kids are no longer staying in Florida to attend one of the major Florida schools.

- he was able to recruit just fine at Mississippi state and he had great success there. A program that is roughly .500 winning percentage he took to multiple winning seasons, bull games, and a #1 ranking.

People easily believe what they read without researching anything. Geez, I wonder if the Florida spin machine is pumping this narrative to justify the firing since the results and recruiting rankings don’t actually match what’s being said.

Worth isn’t revenue. Schools aren’t going to sell buildings nor use endowments. I’ll repeat, colleges lost $2B in revenue. The SEC was even borrowing money. It’s not as easy as we have tons of money we can afford to do anything.

Yeah, but you apparently are ignoring his main point. It's like a CEO in "tough" times saying I didn't take my annual $2M salary this year. Meanwhile, cashing in his/her $5M of stock options. Moreover, increase their future wealth/worth by being one of the main beneficiaries of the stock repurchasing/buyback system for those in such position.

We should have a coaching staff that can fill the entire roster, and retain players in the program.

These guys seem to have failed at that, spectacularly.
Retaining in the time of transfer portals is impossible. Better is possible, sure.

I’m not sure where our baseline will be on transfers year to year and you’re not either.

Mullen is an X’s and O’s guy who dislikes recruiting and isn’t a good program builder. He’s prob more of an elite OC.

Pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom