Class of 2020 - QB Greg "Deuce" Spann II (FL) Committed to Illinois | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Greg "Deuce" Spann II (FL) Committed to Illinois

If he wants to throw the ball again I'd be surprised if it's at the P5 level. He redshirted under Lovie Smith and then Bielema moved him to WR during summer camp. Probably a reason for that.

Sure ppl said said about shredder

If he wants to throw the ball again I'd be surprised if it's at the P5 level. He redshirted under Lovie Smith and then Bielema moved him to WR during summer camp. Probably a reason for that.

Not sure I'd want to take on someone who's not comfortable with their position. If he's really leaving to play QB, you couldn't bring him here and expect him to play WR.

Not sure I'd want to take on someone who's not comfortable with their position. If he's really leaving to play QB, you couldn't bring him here and expect him to play WR.

I have not read one thing to indicate he’s leaving to play quarterback

I have not read one thing to indicate he’s leaving to play quarterback

Dino can offer him the chance to compete for QB, if that’s what he really wants.

IF he manages to beat out Shrader, then that’s an unexpected bonus.

If not, we’ve got a new WR1.

Tell him a little story about 2 guys named Donnie McNabb & Kevin Johnson.
Worked out OK for those fellas.

And they were right. We need a QB that can throw.

Thats not what I meant. I meant people probably said Shrader wouldn’t get a chance as D1 QB and he did.

And they were right. We need a QB that can throw.

Throwing this out there for context.

Ryan Nassib as a sophomore: 358 attempts, 56% completion percentage, 19 TD, 8 INT, 6.5 YPA

Garrett Shrader as a sophomore: 234 attempts, 52% completion percentage, 9 TD, 4 INT, 6.2 YPA

Not including all the yards and scoring plays Shrader made with his feet. Nassib was a zero in this area.

I would also say Nassib had the benefit of having Marrone calling plays, whereas Shrader had a completely overmatched individual.

Shrader isn’t consistent and may never be a 60% thrower but I think he can improve to the level that allows our team to be good.

Last edited:
Throwing this out there for context.

Ryan Nassib as a sophomore: 358 attempts, 56% completion percentage, 19 TD, 8 INT, 6.5 YPA

Garrett Shrader as a sophomore: 234 attempts, 52% completion percentage, 9 TD, 4 INT, 6.2 YPA

Not including all the yards and scoring plays Shrader made with his feet. Nassib was a zero in this area.

I would also say Nassib had the benefit of having Marrone calling plays, whereas Shrader had a completely overmatched individual.

Shrader isn’t consistent and may never be a 60% thrower but I think he can improve to the level that allows our team to be good.
Meanwhile there are tons of QBs in the portal that CAN throw but sure let's hitch our wagon to a guy that was 52% and missed multiple wide open guys a game.

Why do people want us to stick with him? I don't get it. With a competent QB, we would have easily been in a bowl game.

Meanwhile there are tons of QBs in the portal that CAN throw but sure let's hitch our wagon to a guy that was 52% and missed multiple wide open guys a game.

Why do people want us to stick with him? I don't get it. With a competent QB, we would have easily been in a bowl game.
Do any of them want to come to SU? They might be available but why would they come with no QB?

Who is to say Anae/Beck don’t bring someone in from the portal to be better?

I am just saying he wasn’t as bad as you’re making him out to be, as compared to QB’s we have had in the past as sophomores.

Blame Babers for not getting anyone after Devito - but don’t blame Shrader. He can improve and I expect will improve.

What you are saying is fair for sure. But there is not perfect QB in the portal or in general. Sure GS has his flaws in throwing but I also feel like another year in the system and better wide receiver play can help him. Now I don’t think GS will ever kill it through the air. That being said GS can be an animal on the ground and we’ve seen that a couple games. Anytime you have a QB go over 100 yards on the ground let alone a couple games over 130 is impressive. Pretty sure there was a game where GS had over 220 years passing and over 120 yards rushing…I don’t expect him to do that on a consistent basis but I think GS can be a 220 pass yards and 50 rush yards a game kind of QB which is all we need when we have Tucker and stout defense tbh.

I want us to bring Armstrong along with the rest of our UVA party.

52% quarterback reject with a throwing hitch. Lol. Let’s ride with that. Crazy talk

I think with Shrader it's definitely a case of the numbers not telling the whole story.

The rushing yardage matters, but it matters more when both he and Tucker are running all over and we're scoring points, and the lack of passing doesn't matter as much.

When we're not scoring points though, and we have games where we're completely incapable of throwing the ball, he's helming a bad offense and we know we can't win with bad offense.

You don’t think if there was a more polished dual threat QB in the portal last season that wanted to come here that the staff wouldn’t have brought them in instead?

There’s a reason Shrader is here. And not having an OC/QB Coach actually hired right now at this time isn’t working wonders on bringing another guy in. I’m all in on bringing in another portal QB to compete but that doesn’t mean Shrader is a lost cause either. There’s a lot of value in a 6’4 guy that can rush for 170 yards in a game if his passing can be improved.

Last edited:
You don’t think if there was a more polished duel threat QB in the portal last season that wanted to come here that the staff wouldn’t have brought them in instead?

There’s a reason Shrader is here. And not having an OC/QB Coach actually hired right now at this time isn’t working wonders on bringing another guy in. I’m all in on bringing in another portal QB to compete but that doesn’t mean Shrader is a lost cause either. There’s a lot of value in a 6’4 guy that can rush for 170 yards in a game if his passing can be improved.
He couldn't hit wide open WRs five yards away. You can't improve that.

We had these exact debates during Dungeys underclassman years about his inability to throw well.
On top of that we had OC McFkit also unable to get play calls in in time , just like Gilbert

I def want to bring in another qB to compete but GS has a chance to improve