Class of 2020 - QB JaCobian Morgan (MS) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/26/20) | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB JaCobian Morgan (MS) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/26/20)

I'm with you. I mean, I would assume any P5 program has at least someone who's been in the system and is capable of playing and many, I would think, even have an incumbent. So I"m not sure I agree 100% but it's a valid point nonetheless.

It's just hard for me to believe we're going to potentially enter the season with, apparently at least, no Plan B.
Maybe Rex is Plan B. HCDB dropped Rex into the game last year instead of Welch when a winning record was off the table. So he must feel like he can contribute. I’m just not sure we’ve seen yet what Rex can do. Frankly, I would be very okay with TD having a great year this year but Rex getting some quality time.

Last edited:
Maybe Rex is Plan B. HCDB dropped Tex into the game last year instead of Welch when a winning record was off the table. So he must feel like he can contribute. I’m just not sure we’ve seen yet what Rex can do. Frankly, I would be very okay with TD having a great year this year but Rex getting some quality time.
Yeah, that's a possibility. I actually really liked Summers' film even though he doesn't have the strongest arm in the world. It's just that we certainly haven't heard great things about him yet. Who knows, I guess.

From our perspective, some grad transfer challenging and pushing Tommy would be ideal. In reality, no kid wants to transfer where they might not beat out a guy with 2 years left.

There are not of good freshman QBs left. We took a flyer on this kid. It’s ok.

Next season with the new QB/OC and TD with one year will shake some things loose.
If a grad transfer QB can come in and beat out TD, let it be and I would welcome it.

Because I have zero faith in recruiting services outside of the top 250 or so (not meant to start a debate, simply stating a premise to which I subscribe) and like to look at the film but rarely know exactly how what I'm seeing will translate, I tend to view all recruits through a pretty simple lens: Commit early and/or commit after a camp on the hill, I'm happy. Commit at any point with a few stars next to your name (I'll admit this still feels good) and some pretty good offers, I'm happy. Win a battle with other solid P5 schools and/or regional rivals, I feel good. Commit out of nowhere late in the cycle with very few offers, I get a bit concerned but still think we all have to be ok to wait it out (let's face it, few were thinking derrell smith, an unknown fullback from DE would turn out to be a really good multi-year starter at LB -- so who knows).

So obviously, not super excited by the new commit but willing to wait and see.

What I'm a little surprised about, however, is that we haven't been, as yet, bigger players in the grad transfer portal or that we didn't make a concerted effort to bring in a run-first QB that others may have been looking at for other positions. Admittedly, don't know how many of those guys remain out there, but it certainly feels like we need someone capable of playing early and/or immediately (even if you love Tommy, injuries are a reality).

My two cents is that the line we saw the last few games did a nice job opening holes in the running game and while we'll certainly miss Moe Neal (great senior season for him, by the way), the combo of Adams/Howard/Jordan should be at least very solid. I would think a QB that could run the ball could potentially learn 5-7 plays and be an asset at least in special packages at times, especially if we are conservative in letting tommy run the ball. Not saying this is what Dino wants going forward as much as we simply can't run the equivalent of 35 halfback dives every game and feel like we're really taking best advantage of our personnel.

At the end of the day a grad transfer that could compete and a running freshman who might be able to contribute in special packages feels, to me at least, like the best we could hope for at this stage. Grabbing a developmental pocket passer is OK, I guess, but doesn't really address our roster concern in any way, shape or form.

Good post and agree on a number of things.

Grad transfers will always be a challenge with an incumbent starter. However, I really believe, with the change in OC/QB, Gilbert wants to lay eyes on Summers and see if he is the answer as the back-up (or if Rex can develop just staying at QB). In my opinion, the pursuit of a QB post the first couple weeks of spring ball will be telling and give a glimpse into Gilbert's read into the QB stable.

Summers needs to take that step forward. I personally think a lot of people are judging him too harshly based on film of a redshirt year while a mechanics change was occurring. On the baseball side, in our fall (since our freshman on the mound had to be ready to contribute), I changed mechanics and told them, I don't care how it looks or the results. We are doing this so you will be better ready to dominate in the spring with this muscle memory. You will win a job in the spring, not the fall. Gotta think Summers was told something similar entering this year.

Instead of picking up a QB for the running packages, would rather see a Howard/Jordan wildcat backfield running the read option, IMO.

While a developmental pocket passer doesn't address our roster concern this year, it does for future years. I would bet Morgan has the best arm strength of the dudes in the QB room not named Devito. Had to get a QB this class and, with this offense that has to stretch vertically in the passing game (as we have seen a re-focus on tall, physical WR's), I don't mind valuing arm strength as the carrying tool.

Not for nothing, but if my only other offers were Jackson State and Austin Peay, then some random P5 school offers me, I don’t care if they’re located in the Dakota’s...that would “feel like home” to me too.
Yeah - that was my point - if you’re from a crappy area in MS (coaches don’t recruit us because of grade issues) and didn’t have other great options and you get to Syracuse, you’re not going to be pining for home.

Texas kids coming up to the northeast always seem to get homesick for Texas.

No transfers are coming here this year for that position. It’s to big of a risk to try to unseat TD. Next year? Maybe.

Thank you for opinion of which is fairly irrelevant given that Fortin already came excruciatingly close to doing so. I'm primarily referring to freshman that just redshirted this year and are stuck behind multiple guys at a factory. It's a pretty clear path to playing time for anyone skilled enough. Sit out this year and then there's barely any competition for the backup job next year and then wide open starting competition as a RS-JR. Are you aware of many easier P5 paths to starting out there? I think it's in play for anyone that's a RS-FR this spring, anything beyond that I agree with you. And if it doesn't happen this year I don't know how the hell you say maybe next year. Next year is a dream destination for anyone that has to just sit out 1 year behind a SR Devito.

Jacobian, welcome to the Cuse football family!

GoOrangebelievefeac5b7ec194628f10a26b983c4aba812eb55568d4b514fb3bc76b0f959b65b7d4d54bc9ffb640e...gif

2 stars, not 3.
Extremely rare. I did a small study on this last year at some point. Almost all P5 kids are just given 3 stars based on nothing beyond where they committed to. Just the sheer number of 3 star rankings has increased year over year as technology advances, more highlight videos are available, more kids playing 7 on 7 etc. The average recruit is now significantly higher rated than they were 10 years ago.

2 stars, not 3.
I think that might have changed. Just getting a P5 commitment would make someone a "potential contributor".

A low three-star (80-83): is a player that we consider to be a potential contributor at a Power Five program but a probable Group of Five starter with impact potential.

Two-stars (70-79 rating): These are prospects that we consider to be FBS-level players with very limited NFL potential.

Rated 81 by the other site. 3 star. I’ll take it at this point

If a grad transfer QB can come in and beat out TD, let it be and I would welcome it.

Right. I’m with you. But we’re fans and see it that way.

The grad transfer QB who wants to come in and compete with a guy who is in the top half of the conference isn’t a guy we typically get. Those guys are going to Ohio St, Clemson, and Ok.

Thank you for opinion of which is fairly irrelevant given that Fortin already came excruciatingly close to doing so. I'm primarily referring to freshman that just redshirted this year and are stuck behind multiple guys at a factory. It's a pretty clear path to playing time for anyone skilled enough. Sit out this year and then there's barely any competition for the backup job next year and then wide open starting competition as a RS-JR. Are you aware of many easier P5 paths to starting out there? I think it's in play for anyone that's a RS-FR this spring, anything beyond that I agree with you. And if it doesn't happen this year I don't know how the hell you say maybe next year. Next year is a dream destination for anyone that has to just sit out 1 year behind a SR Devito.

I agree with you on next season AND if they have 3 years of eligibility or 2 years and a RS year available.

This year? No.

This kid will have a great opportunity to develop and show what he’s got. Exciting times!

Finally got a chance to watch his highlights and here's my two cents: I don't know about this one. This is a riverboat special for sure. Positives -
Big kid, tall and long limbed, high cut torso and wide shoulders, kid is built like Tommy Hearns. I also see the comparisons to James Blackmon but I think this kid displays better body control and fluidity and displays more functional strength in the ability to leverage his long frame.
Strong and dynamic arm. Ball pops off his hand and he displays a quick release. Can really throw it, and the distances and velocities displayed is impressive. Makes alot of snap throws where his legs aren't under him or he's not set and it's all arm. Shows the ability to change speeds, alter the launch point, and throw with touch on intermediate throws. Definitely some arm talent to work with.
Disposition. Cool customer. Some kids just have natural poise and I'd say this kid's got it. Never seems flustered or panics. Bad snaps, pressures and broken plays he just seems to calmly handle it and doesn't flinch.
Negatives -
Footwork is a mess. Has a long way to go here. Doesn't set consistently, consistently false steps in his drops, mechanics break down under pressure and it's mainly because his footwork is sloppy. All work is out of shotgun, nothing under center.
1:37 mark you see him look left to hold the safety and then turn to the right and makes the throw. He threads the needle with a really tough throw but it looked like a bad decision to me. That was the only set I saw where he wasn't making a single or half-field read.
Needs to add weight and fill out his frame before he's ready to compete at the FBS level. 25 pounds of lean mass at a minimum.

This kid is easily a two year project but the upside is definitely there. He's just going to have to work really really hard to get there.

Finally got a chance to watch his highlights and here's my two cents: I don't know about this one. This is a riverboat special for sure. Positives -
Big kid, tall and long limbed, high cut torso and wide shoulders, kid is built like Tommy Hearns. I also see the comparisons to James Blackmon but I think this kid displays better body control and fluidity and displays more functional strength in the ability to leverage his long frame.
Strong and dynamic arm. Ball pops off his hand and he displays a quick release. Can really throw it, and the distances and velocities displayed is impressive. Makes alot of snap throws where his legs aren't under him or he's not set and it's all arm. Shows the ability to change speeds, alter the launch point, and throw with touch on intermediate throws. Definitely some arm talent to work with.
Disposition. Cool customer. Some kids just have natural poise and I'd say this kid's got it. Never seems flustered or panics. Bad snaps, pressures and broken plays he just seems to calmly handle it and doesn't flinch.
Negatives -
Footwork is a mess. Has a long way to go here. Doesn't set consistently, consistently false steps in his drops, mechanics break down under pressure and it's mainly because his footwork is sloppy. All work is out of shotgun, nothing under center.
1:37 mark you see him look left to hold the safety and then turn to the right and makes the throw. He threads the needle with a really tough throw but it looked like a bad decision to me. That was the only set I saw where he wasn't making a single or half-field read.
Needs to add weight and fill out his frame before he's ready to compete at the FBS level. 25 pounds of lean mass at a minimum.

This kid is easily a two year project but the upside is definitely there. He's just going to have to work really really hard to get there.

Good take. The opportunity for growth and development is exciting. Hopefully he is a very coachable kid.

Negatives -

I think he also played some wide receiver. Any chance you'd see him as an option in other ways on offense before he'd see the field as QB? He's a big kid that I think could be very fast if he wanted to be...

I think he also played some wide receiver. Any chance you'd see him as an option in other ways on offense before he'd see the field as QB? He's a big kid that I think could be very fast if he wanted to be...
It's hard to say just from watching highlights. Add to that the arm talent and physical traits this kid has, I dont think anyone should give up on him as a QB quite yet.

It's hard to say just from watching highlights. Add to that the arm talent and physical traits this kid has, I dont think anyone should give up on him as a QB quite yet.
His opportunity as QB is a timing thing I think. I was just wondering hypothetically speaking: if perhaps he's a third string QB BUT would be a 2nd string WR/TE if used that way in his 4 games, would he see the field as a WR/TE earlier in his career until he moves up the QB depth chart? He seems to have a lot of potential in a physicality sense and it might be interesting what he can do as a playmaker if not QB, at least not this year. Four games would give the coaches a chance to see him in action, no matter how he's used. How will he be in the open field? One can hope we don't get too far down the QB depth chart...

I think he ends up starting when TD leaves. I like his upside better than Tex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom