Class of 2020 - QB JaCobian Morgan (MS) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/26/20) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB JaCobian Morgan (MS) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/26/20)

what does everyone think of Dorian Nowell for 2021? we did offer, and I think if we pushed for him to commit, he just might. isn't a huge name and we are his first P5 offer, but i will be shocked if he doesn't get 4-5 more P5 offers before all is said and done. the kid is rated a top 30 Pro Style QB..
If we take Nowell this early I'd be pretty concerned. I think he's a decent QB but he's not the splash prospect we need to land. I don't think his scholarship is completely committable right now to be honest.

If you’re still looking for a QB this late in the cycle this is what’s going to happen. I really can’t get myself excited with his highlight film, but at least he isn’t going to be expected to contribute for another 2 full seasons. imo he has a long way to go. There should be no barriers for us landing an elite
QB in the 2021 class if a kid is interested in potentially playing early in his career.

I'd take #7 on his team at WR right now...

his WR played in some all star games in the state.

so there is a another question if he played WR and very little QB he could really have huge upside and develop pretty quickly and we know none of that,

As I was reading this thread, the song with the words Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell.

My main hope is that the transfer portal fills back up after spring practices. Some of the 4 star kids at the factories realize they're getting 3rd team reps and choose to bounce. Not going to win consistently picking up scraps from the teams we're playing against but the QB depth chart is in critical condition.

No transfers are coming here this year for that position. It’s to big of a risk to try to unseat TD. Next year? Maybe.

Looks like he played some wr his junior year. Atleast he can run

His Jr year vs senior year is a big difference throwing the ball for sure. As a WR not sure if it was because he is so much bigger or just being long strided but he looked really slow. He does however look like a strong kid and thus even if he isn't winning any races he could tuck it and run. Lots of development needed but no doubt there is something to work with. It's by no means a comparison in quality but he reminds me of Lamar Jackson , James Blackmon as a passer. It doesn't look pretty but it often gets there and finds its target. Again he likely couldn't beat Jackson in a race with a 30 yd head start but throwing motion looks similar alongside the size.

At this stage of the recruiting cycle, you recruit tools and makeup.

Everyone has flaws at this stage, be it academics or something that caused them to fly under the radar.

He has big boy arm strength, ball jumps out of his hand. And he has little to no footwork occurring. You can teach proper footwork. You can't teach how much he will be able to extend the field with his arm strength (keep the safeties deep) and the physical WR's that will be catching those balls.

He is a guy you get in the system. Try and coach up and see if he has the tools to challenge for the starting job when needed against hopefully some more touted 2021s and a stud 2022. Super raw, but there is definite starter upside in this vertical offense.

Because I have zero faith in recruiting services outside of the top 250 or so (not meant to start a debate, simply stating a premise to which I subscribe) and like to look at the film but rarely know exactly how what I'm seeing will translate, I tend to view all recruits through a pretty simple lens: Commit early and/or commit after a camp on the hill, I'm happy. Commit at any point with a few stars next to your name (I'll admit this still feels good) and some pretty good offers, I'm happy. Win a battle with other solid P5 schools and/or regional rivals, I feel good. Commit out of nowhere late in the cycle with very few offers, I get a bit concerned but still think we all have to be ok to wait it out (let's face it, few were thinking derrell smith, an unknown fullback from DE would turn out to be a really good multi-year starter at LB -- so who knows).

So obviously, not super excited by the new commit but willing to wait and see.

What I'm a little surprised about, however, is that we haven't been, as yet, bigger players in the grad transfer portal or that we didn't make a concerted effort to bring in a run-first QB that others may have been looking at for other positions. Admittedly, don't know how many of those guys remain out there, but it certainly feels like we need someone capable of playing early and/or immediately (even if you love Tommy, injuries are a reality).

My two cents is that the line we saw the last few games did a nice job opening holes in the running game and while we'll certainly miss Moe Neal (great senior season for him, by the way), the combo of Adams/Howard/Jordan should be at least very solid. I would think a QB that could run the ball could potentially learn 5-7 plays and be an asset at least in special packages at times, especially if we are conservative in letting tommy run the ball. Not saying this is what Dino wants going forward as much as we simply can't run the equivalent of 35 halfback dives every game and feel like we're really taking best advantage of our personnel.

At the end of the day a grad transfer that could compete and a running freshman who might be able to contribute in special packages feels, to me at least, like the best we could hope for at this stage. Grabbing a developmental pocket passer is OK, I guess, but doesn't really address our roster concern in any way, shape or form.

Because I have zero faith in recruiting services outside of the top 250 or so (not meant to start a debate, simply stating a premise to which I subscribe) and like to look at the film but rarely know exactly how what I'm seeing will translate, I tend to view all recruits through a pretty simple lens: Commit early and/or commit after a camp on the hill, I'm happy. Commit at any point with a few stars next to your name (I'll admit this still feels good) and some pretty good offers, I'm happy. Win a battle with other solid P5 schools and/or regional rivals, I feel good. Commit out of nowhere late in the cycle with very few offers, I get a bit concerned but still think we all have to be ok to wait it out (let's face it, few were thinking derrell smith, an unknown fullback from DE would turn out to be a really good multi-year starter at LB -- so who knows).

So obviously, not super excited by the new commit but willing to wait and see.

What I'm a little surprised about, however, is that we haven't been, as yet, bigger players in the grad transfer portal or that we didn't make a concerted effort to bring in a run-first QB that others may have been looking at for other positions. Admittedly, don't know how many of those guys remain out there, but it certainly feels like we need someone capable of playing early and/or immediately (even if you love Tommy, injuries are a reality).

My two cents is that the line we saw the last few games did a nice job opening holes in the running game and while we'll certainly miss Moe Neal (great senior season for him, by the way), the combo of Adams/Howard/Jordan should be at least very solid. I would think a QB that could run the ball could potentially learn 5-7 plays and be an asset at least in special packages at times, especially if we are conservative in letting tommy run the ball. Not saying this is what Dino wants going forward as much as we simply can't run the equivalent of 35 halfback dives every game and feel like we're really taking best advantage of our personnel.

At the end of the day a grad transfer that could compete and a running freshman who might be able to contribute in special packages feels, to me at least, like the best we could hope for at this stage. Grabbing a developmental pocket passer is OK, I guess, but doesn't really address our roster concern in any way, shape or form.

From our perspective, some grad transfer challenging and pushing Tommy would be ideal. In reality, no kid wants to transfer where they might not beat out a guy with 2 years left.

There are not of good freshman QBs left. We took a flyer on this kid. It’s ok.

Next season with the new QB/OC and TD with one year will shake some things loose.

Now that suddenly 2 4 7 got around to evaluating him and rated him 3 stars, is he suddenly now a good get?

Is he a better prospect than he was yesterday? Was he truly an unearthed gem or is this just rating BS?
No, stars still mean nothing.

Now that suddenly 2 4 7 got around to evaluating him and rated him 3 stars, is he suddenly now a good get?

Is he a better prospect than he was yesterday? Was he truly an unearthed gem or is this just rating BS?
I believe all P5 commits start at that level if they weren’t graded previously. In Cuse’s class he sandwiched in between the kicker and the Germans.

Last edited:

This made me laugh. I really think the answer is yes for many on here.

From our perspective, some grad transfer challenging and pushing Tommy would be ideal. In reality, no kid wants to transfer where they might not beat out a guy with 2 years left.

There are not of good freshman QBs left. We took a flyer on this kid. It’s ok.

Next season with the new QB/OC and TD with one year will shake some things loose.
I'm with you. I mean, I would assume any P5 program has at least someone who's been in the system and is capable of playing and many, I would think, even have an incumbent. So I"m not sure I agree 100% but it's a valid point nonetheless.

It's just hard for me to believe we're going to potentially enter the season with, apparently at least, no Plan B.

Some mornings, when I start reading the posts from the night shift, I think my name is really Alice and I just fell down the rabbit hole.

LOL, great band. One of my favorites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom