Class of 2020 - QB JaCobian Morgan (MS) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/26/20) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB JaCobian Morgan (MS) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/26/20)

Just to clarify a bit, I asked his coach this morning why Morgan wasn't recruited more and that's when he brought up the academics. Says they've had plenty of D1 talent but until the last couple of years the majority of them wouldn't qualify academically. Morgan isn't an issue, but I sort of interpreted it as most major schools have made it a habit to pass them over and they are battling to change that right now.

Good clarification -- and I'll add that the coaching staff validating academics isn't a red flag, but rather due diligence prior to extending an offer / accepting a commitment. And since they were only involved with this kid for the past two weeks, they had to scramble to get this evaluation completed -- had they been tracking since, say for example, October, this would have been long since taken care of.

Kid looks like he's got some impressive tools to work with; hopefully he's also got the right ability to process information quickly that's needed for this system.

what does everyone think of Dorian Nowell for 2021? we did offer, and I think if we pushed for him to commit, he just might. isn't a huge name and we are his first P5 offer, but i will be shocked if he doesn't get 4-5 more P5 offers before all is said and done. the kid is rated a top 30 Pro Style QB..
I don't want anyone w/o an Austin Peay offer.

Agree about his ability to throw the ball deep -- hope the accuracy is also there.

And I also agree that he's a good athlete -- perhaps even a substantially above average athlete. But his film [which is admittedly just a highlight reel] didn't show much evidence of him running, so I view it as as unknown [versus "can't do"].
I watched a bunch of the bowl games this season. I was actually shocked how well many of the QB's from lower tier teams played. A few of them have worked their onto various draft boards.

I'm not suggesting that Morgan will be a future draft choice but his profile is similar to many of those QB's that slip through the cracks.

Maybe his family couldn't afford to send him to camps and combines to raise his visibility.

what does everyone think of Dorian Nowell for 2021? we did offer, and I think if we pushed for him to commit, he just might. isn't a huge name and we are his first P5 offer, but i will be shocked if he doesn't get 4-5 more P5 offers before all is said and done. the kid is rated a top 30 Pro Style QB..
To be honest I dont think Nowell is all that better than Morgan.

I am hoping for the day that Jacobian proves everyone wrong and I can cook y'all up a large helping of crow. And bnoro can confirm I never forget.

I think that's what everyone here is hoping for but we're also allowed to be concerned when we take guys with basically no offers. Everyone likes to point out Dungey as if it's highly likely that every single QB recruit that we go after with no P5 offers is going to turn into the best QB we've had in 20 years. The sample size of guys with no offers who did nothing for us is about 20x as long as the ones who became above average starters. Bottom line is that we are all hoping for the absolute very best from every recruit that we bring in.

I watched a bunch of the bowl games this season. I was actually shocked how well many of the QB's from lower tier teams played. A few of them have worked their onto various draft boards.

I'm not suggesting that Morgan will be a future draft choice but his profile is similar to many of those QB's that slip through the cracks.

Maybe his family couldn't afford to send him to camps and combines to raise his visibility.
I dont know how Morgan will develop either. Could be a hidden gem or just another guy on the roster but I tell you this, Trey Lance was one of the best QB's I saw all season. I couldnt believe he wasnt a P5 kid.

At this stage of the recruiting cycle, you recruit tools and makeup.

Everyone has flaws at this stage, be it academics or something that caused them to fly under the radar.

He has big boy arm strength, ball jumps out of his hand. And he has little to no footwork occurring. You can teach proper footwork. You can't teach how much he will be able to extend the field with his arm strength (keep the safeties deep) and the physical WR's that will be catching those balls.

He is a guy you get in the system. Try and coach up and see if he has the tools to challenge for the starting job when needed against hopefully some more touted 2021s and a stud 2022. Super raw, but there is definite starter upside in this vertical offense.

Realize that. Im holding out faith that Mississippi kids don’t get as quickly homesick/have trouble meshing in. However, we’re 0 for 2 on deep south QB’s from what I can remember (Amie and Womack).
Texas is not Deep South - Texas would be a bigger concern for me - SU has done just fine with MS kids recently. Kid just visited in January and said it felt like home - only question here will be if he can prove people wrong and be a quality P5 quarterback - it won’t be a location issue

Texas is not Deep South - Texas would be a bigger concern for me - SU has done just fine with MS kids recently. Kid just visited in January and said it felt like home - only question here will be if he can prove people wrong and be a quality P5 quarterback - it won’t be a location issue

and Amie's issues would have happened anywhere(and did happen again after he transferred), the kid is an off field mess unfortunately.

Not for nothing, but if my only other offers were Jackson State and Austin Peay, then some random P5 school offers me, I don’t care if they’re located in the Dakota’s...that would “feel like home” to me too.

1) Be able to read defenses and know where the bell needs to go

2) Be able to place ball accurately where it needs to go

3) Be able to improvise if the play isn’t tgere

4) Have a “big arm”

5) Be able to put the last play - good or bad - behind you and move to the next play

1) Be able to read defenses and know where the bell needs to go

2) Be able to place ball accurately where it needs to go

3) Be able to improvise if the play isn’t tgere

4) Have a “big arm”

5) Be able to put the last play - good or bad - behind you and move to the next play
Do we also take Eric Williams if his grades are in order?

As one coach put it: "He is the type of person off the field that gets coaching staffs fired".
Woah, I never the heard the details of what happened but that’s far worse than I had thought. I just went with the it was a mutual parting of ways.

Do we also take Eric Williams if his grades are in order?
I like Eric's film a lot but if he has issues with grades, it is a concern at that position. You need to be really on the ball to be a good QB, maybe even more so in our system than other ones.

Hopefully it was just a misunderstanding in terms of the core curriculum courses needed, or something along those lines.

MS per capita is one of the best States for D1 FB talent. They play at a high level.

Wouldn't it be sweet karma if this kid becomes a 3 year starter and pro prospect right under the nose of The Leach?

MS per capita is one of the best States for D1 FB talent. They play at a high level.

Wouldn't it be sweet karma if this kid becomes a 3 year starter and pro prospect right under the nose of The Leach?

woooooof nothing would make me happier

Not for nothing, but if my only other offers were Jackson State and Austin Peay, then some random P5 school offers me, I don’t care if they’re located in the Dakota’s...that would “feel like home” to me too.

Yeah, this is one where we just have to cross our fingers and hope the staff earns their paychecks. Can do that while also being able to admit that if it were Rutgers or UConn scrambling this late and picking this kid up that we would be laughing at them. Guess we'll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom