QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford

Nah. We were one of his few options coming out of HS and he bolted when the staff wasn’t going to hand him anything coming off a significant injury. Not rooting against him but certainly not rooting for him. I never paid attention to Stanford football before and likely won’t now.
Eh, he wants a chance to start now and a college career is for a short time. He doesn’t owe us undying loyalty.

If he does well, it'll be a selling point for Stanford, not us. People care where you did well, not the place you transferred from.
You think that will stop Dino?

Eh, he wants a chance to start now and a college career is for a short time. He doesn’t owe us undying loyalty.
He doesn't owe us but I can't blame guys for not going out there way to see how Lamson's career plays out. He went where he had a better chance to start. He got sold on going back to the west coast and competing against guys that have the same amount of experience as him. That's fine but the way he did it was wrong.

As you point out, life is all about timing. Maybe if he hadn't gotten hurt last year, he would have been in line to take over when Shrader got injured. Maybe he could have helped the team, and coaxed out an extra win.

We'll never know.

Don't blame him for leaving, especially to go to Stanford. No matter how things work out for football, it was a great life decision.

I'll be curious about how his career unfolds. Won't be actively rooting FOR him, but not angered in any way by his departure.

He doesn't owe us but I can't blame guys for not going out there way to see how Lamson's career plays out. He went where he had a better chance to start. He got sold on going back to the west coast and competing against guys that have the same amount of experience as him. That's fine but the way he did it was wrong.
in this current culture and environment there was NOTHING wrong with how he did it. i will follow how he does and i hope it is great. i am curious as to what becks take on all of it was?

You think that will stop Dino?
So his recruiting pitch will be: come here, get better, and transfer? Not sure that’s a winning pitch.

Last edited:
in this current culture and environment there was NOTHING wrong with how he did it. i will follow how he does and i hope it is great. i am curious as to what becks take on all of it was?
Please tell me what you know in regards to how he did it.

Found an article from a couple weeks ago about Lamson with Stanford. From some comments it sounds like he is getting there late June. He talks about the new coach there recruiting him. I presume that is after he portarled.

Along with the 5 star freshman he'll have to compete with a couple QB's that are there already. Tanner McKey was a high 4 star but has just one year remaining. And Ari Patu who was an 87 coming out and is a 6'4" 205 lbs dual threat type who saw a very small amount of action last year. He did have a TD pass against Oregon.

Former Syracuse QB Justin Lamson details Stanford transfer decision

Found an article from a couple weeks ago about Lamson with Stanford. From some comments it sounds like he is getting there late June. He talks about the new coach there recruiting him. I presume that is after he portarled.

Along with the 5 star freshman he'll have to compete with a couple QB's that are there already. Tanner McKey was a high 4 star but has just one year remaining. And Ari Patu who was an 87 coming out and is a 6'4" 205 lbs dual threat type who saw a very small amount of action last year. He did have a TD pass against Oregon.

Former Syracuse QB Justin Lamson details Stanford transfer decision
He went there knowing they had an incoming 5 star for this season? Doesn’t seem like Stanford material if that was true.

He went there knowing they had an incoming 5 star for this season? Doesn’t seem like Stanford material if that was true.
we have recently picked up three 4-star QBs that for whatever reason decided to leave and come to Cuse. Lamson made a choice which i believe was short sited as i do think he would have played considerable snaps this year and started next. I also think he ends up winning the starting role at Stanford either later this season or next.

I wonder if the injury gave him too much time to overthink his decision?

Technically Elijah Brown is just under 5 star status and he committed to Stanford after Lamson's decision to transfer there.

3 things:
The 5* is actually a high 4*
Who committed after Lamson did.
For 2024.

So, Lamson has an open comp for QB1 for 2023, which he (apparently) did not here, given Shrader’s QB1 status.

And then he’ll have multiple years experience in college, including a full year in Stanford’s system (likely as QB1, but worst case QB2) and have to beat out an incoming HS kid for QB1.

He’s gotta love those odds.

All while playing much closer to home.

Also - he ends up with a Stanford degree when all is said and done.

Brilliant!
Sounds like Stanford material to me.

Technically Elijah Brown is just under 5 star status and he committed to Stanford after Lamson's decision to transfer there.
He the new guy going to be there this season or next?

makes a huge difference

3 things:
The 5* is actually a high 4*
Who committed after Lamson did.
For 2024.

So, Lamson has an open comp for QB1 for 2023, which he (apparently) did not here, given Shrader’s QB1 status.

And then he’ll have multiple years experience in college, including a full year in Stanford’s system (likely as QB1, but worst case QB2) and have to beat out an incoming HS kid for QB1.

He’s gotta love those odds.

All while playing much closer to home.

Also - he ends up with a Stanford degree when all is said and done.

Brilliant!
Sounds like Stanford material to me.
I don't think he had a landing spot before hitting the portal. If he did that is a separate troubling issue. But after portarling he luckily got a situation where he can have an education at Stanford. Can't fault him for that part of it at all.

But it sounds like he had a good idea there was good chance he would be starting at Syracuse in 2024 and 2025 and was likely going to be getting second string snaps in 2023 and be a replacement starter if Shrader got injured.

So yes his situation there at Stanford in 2023 is still an open competition but he is still fighting with two other talented but inexperienced QB's for 2023. He very well may win out, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he did. But If he gets beat out by one of them the situation isn't nearly as great. Then what? Its a gamble on his part. He had a very good situation going here and was impatient. Not the decision I would have made.

I think his transfer to become a Stanford QB reflects well on SU and the current state of QB situation here. Stanford is a bit of a QB-U with Elway, Plunkett, Brodie, Luck, and a quite a number of other All Americans and NFL draft picks at the QB position. Stanford FB is down right now, but from 2009 to 2019 they were ranked in the Top 25 every year, and in the top 10 in 7 of those years.

Also impressive about Lamson's transfer is that the portal does no favors to Stanford football. The entire university only accepts on the order of 27 students a year.

Stanford does accept approximately 27 transfer students most years, but that number comes from a pool of thousands of applicants. In fact, Stanford has one of the most exclusive rates in the country, accepting just 1.15% of those who want to transfer to the institution.

Please tell me what you know in regards to how he did it.
i believe he did nothing more that exercise the same option that was exercised by a Multitude of former Coaches as well as other players who opted out. i must assume you know more

i believe he did nothing more that exercise the same option that was exercised by a Multitude of former Coaches as well as other players who opted out. i must assume you know more
So you don't know "how" he did it. I didn't say he shouldn't be allowed to do it.

The only positive in Lamson’s departure is that it reaffirms the assumption that Coach Babers and Co. can identify talent. That’s not much when you lose them. But it’s something.

As far as Lamson himself, like virtually everyone here I hold no I hard feelings toward the kid. But the truth is, I’ll forget all about him by September.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom