QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford

To carry over the discussion from the Travis Throckmorton thread, I have nothing against Justin and he seems like a fine young man and I wish him well and am glad he is getting a Stanford education. But can we stop with the idea he would have made any difference this past year?

He looked good in one spring game. We all saw how seriously Dino took the spring game. It means nothing, especially when you compare it to the HCFB version. There's a whole season at Stanford to indicate he wasn't good when there was an opposing defense who was actually trying.

Last edited:
To carry over the discussion from the Travis Throckmorton thread, I have nothing against Justin and he seems like a fine young man and I wish him well and am glad he is getting a Stanford education. But can we stop with the idea he would have made any difference this year?

He looked good in one spring game. We all saw how seriously Dino took the spring game. It means nothing, especially when you compare it to the HCFB version. There's a whole season at Stanford to indicate he wasn't good when there was an opposing defense who was actually trying.
All very true, but there’s likely no way he would’ve lost the BC game or performed to the level CDRW did.

He looked like a Shrader clone watching him play for Stanford if he stayed he would have gotten a shot and might have done well. Kept the job and kept Dinos job maybe though the program isn't better off if that is the case.

Now hes going to be #3 for Stanford bc he isn't great at passing. Who knows maybe he improves and gets the job at some point in the season if the other guys struggle hes more likely to play there than he would be for us behind McCord.

It will be nice to watch us with a brand new identity when the year starts.

I'm just glad we're moving away from QBs who couldn't throw the football. It's been too long.
That's such a narrative take, IMO.

Dungey threw the football just fine for a college QB. Was he an NFL guy? No. But only Nassib threw for more yards in the last two decades in a single season.

DeVito was the next man up and could throw the football, as evidenced by his NFL tenure. He wouldn't be there if he couldn't.

Shrader got hurt multiple times. He had a 64.7 completion percentage as a junior, better than Ryan Nassib had in any of his years at SU.

Just because they didn't have the strongest arms in the world and weren't NFL caliber, or weren't the best at SU, doesn't mean they couldn't throw sufficiently. There were a lot of factors at play.

That's such a narrative take, IMO.

Dungey threw the football just fine for a college QB. Was he an NFL guy? No. But only Nassib threw for more yards in the last two decades in a single season.

DeVito was the next man up and could throw the football, as evidenced by his NFL tenure. He wouldn't be there if he couldn't.

Shrader got hurt multiple times. He had a 64.7 completion percentage as a junior, better than Ryan Nassib had in any of his years at SU.

Just because they didn't have the strongest arms in the world and weren't NFL caliber, or weren't the best at SU, doesn't mean they couldn't throw sufficiently. There were a lot of factors at play.
DeVito could kind of throw, but had happy feet, so was never set to throw. That means he couldn't throw. Just because he was the 4th option for the Giants when all their QBs got injured doesn't mean he's a good passer.
Shrader - Mike Leach moved him to WR because he couldn't throw. For every good throw he made at SU he threw 4 ducks. Was also hurt so he couldn't throw either. His completion percentage was mostly slants and checkdowns.
CDRW - Can't throw
Braden Davis - LOL
Jacobian Morgan - Couldn't throw
Rex Culpepper - Moved to TE because he couldn't throw
Dungey - loved him but most of his damage was on the ground or because he was that threat.
Mahoney - LOL pt. 2

We haven't had a precision passer since Nassib. It's not a narrative at all, if anything the narrative was everyone on this board talking themselves into Shrader being an NFL QB.

DeVito could kind of throw, but had happy feet, so was never set to throw. That means he couldn't throw. Just because he was the 4th option for the Giants when all their QBs got injured doesn't mean he's a good passer.
Shrader - Mike Leach moved him to WR because he couldn't throw. For every good throw he made at SU he threw 4 ducks. Was also hurt so he couldn't throw either. His completion percentage was mostly slants and checkdowns.
CDRW - Can't throw
Braden Davis - LOL
Dungey - loved him but most of his damage was on the ground or because he was that threat.
Mahoney - LOL pt. 2

We haven't had a precision passer since Nassib. It's not a narrative at all, if anything the narrative was everyone on this board talking themselves into Shrader being an NFL QB.
Hey don’t LOL Mahoney! That’s un-American!

CDRW - Can't throw
Braden Davis - LOL
Mahoney - LOL pt. 2

Shrader was a pretty good thrower when he wasn't hurt. Same with Dungey, but Shrader was better than Dungey.

CDRW - Can't throw
Braden Davis - LOL
Mahoney - LOL pt. 2

A lot of talk that Devito will be the #2 for the giants this year.

Devito could absolutely sling it. Having happy feet because of a poor OL doesn’t mean he can’t throw.

I mean, the same might be said for McCord this season too.

Devito was brought in as a pass first guy.

Shrader would have been a better version of Dungey that could throw the ball. He had several injuries to his arm that limited him and yet he still threw the ball okay. Had he not had those injuries we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

So to say we’re “moving away from QBs who couldn’t throw the ball” implies we brought guys in we knew couldn’t throw the ball and quite frankly that’s not accurate

The argument is getting lost in the black/white statement of "couldn't throw the ball" but I think we call all agree that Nassib/DeVito/McCord are thought of as having better passing abilities that Dungey/Shrader - and the respective staffs probably knew that going in. We knew that going in.

What we learned is that playing QB here with the level of OL we have had in the past requires mobility. McCord will be tested by not having the same level of OL he had at Ohio St. But he's a better thrower than just about anyone we've had in a long time.

A lot of talk that Devito will be the #2 for the giants this year.

Devito could absolutely sling it. Having happy feet because of a poor OL doesn’t mean he can’t throw.

I mean, the same might be said for McCord this season too.

Devito was brought in as a pass first guy.

Shrader would have been a better version of Dungey that could throw the ball. He had several injuries to his arm that limited him and yet he still threw the ball okay. Had he not had those injuries we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

So to say we’re “moving away from QBs who couldn’t throw the ball” implies we brought guys in we knew couldn’t throw the ball and quite frankly that’s not accurate
Drew Lock will be Giants #2 this year. I expect Devito to be on their practice squad again. I have never been more disappointed in player than I was in Devito after watching Syracuse get crushed by Maryland in-person at College Park. It has colored my opinon of him as a competitor to this day.

The argument is getting lost in the black/white statement of "couldn't throw the ball" but I think we call all agree that Nassib/DeVito/McCord are thought of as having better passing abilities that Dungey/Shrader - and the respective staffs probably knew that going in. We knew that going in.

What we learned is that playing QB here with the level of OL we have had in the past requires mobility. McCord will be tested by not having the same level of OL he had at Ohio St. But he's a better thrower than just about anyone we've had in a long time.
Devito could throw the ball. There were other traits that kept him from reaching his full potential. Dungey and Shrader were just ok but lots of teams have had dual threat QB's that were moderate throwers.

Drew Lock will be Giants #2 this year. I expect Devito to be on their practice squad again. I have never been more disappointed in player than I was in Devito after watching Syracuse get crushed by Maryland in-person at College Park. It has colored my opinon of him as a competitor to this day.
Really? I felt like that game was more about how bad the defense was. Not Devito

We have a lot of size and depth on the O Line this year, so hopefully this is a thing of the past, where your QB is running for his life on every pass play.

Really? I felt like that game was more about how bad the defense was. Not Devito
Yeah, unfortunately I had a far too up close view of Maryland just doing whatever they wanted on offense right from the jump.

Devito coughed up a fumble deep in our territory early. That was his big mistake. He passed for 330 yards and 3 TDs and completed 72% of his passes.

And this is where people say the numbers don't matter, but I would argue the bigger issue on offense was that we couldn't run the ball. At all. And the defense got absolutely shredded.

My expectations were really high. I had shared a drink with his family at the tailgate beforehand and was feeling great about the season. Then he starts off with an early fumble and a pick both leading to TDs. Then later in the game on fourth down and like 5, he rolled out and probably could have picked it up on the ground and he just... threw it away. I mean, we were down by 4 scores at the time, but it just seemed like a lack of competetive drive and it was super disappointing. Plus I my legs got really sunburned sitting on the sunny side of the stands and I also blame that on Devito.

Yeah, unfortunately I had a far too up close view of Maryland just doing whatever they wanted on offense right from the jump.

Devito coughed up a fumble deep in our territory early. That was his big mistake. He passed for 330 yards and 3 TDs and completed 72% of his passes.

And this is where people say the numbers don't matter, but I would argue the bigger issue on offense was that we couldn't run the ball. At all. And the defense got absolutely shredded.
That 2019 team was a dumpster fire in every way, Devito included

I felt like that game was about how bad everything was. Bad, bad, bad. On the offensive side, I thought the line was the worst part.
It was obviously all bad. WIth SU line troubles I expected some struggles after losing both tackles and their LG. I was not expecting a defense with future NFL guys to give up 650 total yards to a bad offense.

My expectations were really high. I had shared a drink with his family at the tailgate beforehand and was feeling great about the season. Then he starts off with an early fumble and a pick both leading to TDs. Then later in the game on fourth down and like 5, he rolled out and probably could have picked it up on the ground and he just... threw it away. I mean, we were down by 4 scores at the time, but it just seemed like a lack of competetive drive and it was super disappointing. Plus I my legs got really sunburned sitting on the sunny side of the stands and I also blame that on Devito.
A lot of players made mistakes. Asking Devito to out play 650 yards and 9 TD's is too much to ask for. The whole game he was playing from behind with no run game to support him.

CDRW - Can't throw
Braden Davis - LOL
Mahoney - LOL pt. 2

The fact that he is in an NFL roster means he is a good passer.

Yup. I couldnt believe how bad the defense was. We are talking about a unit with 5 future NFL guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom