Class of 2023 - QB LaNorris Sellers (SC) Flipped to South Carolina | Page 63 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 QB LaNorris Sellers (SC) Flipped to South Carolina

0*mSa_209ghklDjhnw.jpg
Loyalty is important in friendship and dogs. Loyalty in management labor relations is a fiction. Players are independent contractors and should be looking to improve their position daily.

because that’s what management is doing.

I’m confused why young kids commit early before they really are sure where they really want to go? Is there some advantage to committing early despite being unsure? Is it just to insure they have a spot somewhere? Too bad they make a decision early that they may change dependent on who other schools at the time, don’t get. Bad and sad for them and the school that is decommitted from but happens so often it probably is a moot point. Pressure for all involved.
Lots of benefit with no downside.

I went to 3 different colleges in my first 3 years.

I honored my commitment to drink a lot of alcohol at all of them though, so there’s that.

Fans can get frustrated, ticked off and that’s fine….because all we really care about is if our team is good.

Players can’t worry about that though. Stakes are high, they gotta make the moves they think our right.

Also, obviously he should go to Syracuse. South Carolina is a crappy school that literally nobody has ever paid attention to in any sport ever, it’s disgustingly humid, they don’t have the Dome, they have zero cache or media attention, their roads suck, and people only drive through there to get to the beach, to Atlanta, or to buy fireworks. Seriously, everywhere you drive you see random buildings in the middle of nowhere with FIREWORKS painted on it or on a sign. That place is weird and it sucks and after Sellers wins 2 Heismans at Syracuse, piles up all kinds of NIL money and media attention, and strikes it rich in the NFL, he should move his family out of there and never go back.

Its not a good analogy if you got kicked out of the first two schools…

About the "commitment" and why do they commit and then change their mind. First and foremost is that after a really good Sr. season, they get new offers that were not on the table when they committed to the original school. Now some bigger fish are interested in them. This is even before NIL and for years we have read about the signing day "surprises". So in many ways this is nothing new. Now add NIL and you have a good year and now people are coming to you with much better financial offers. You want to do what is best for your family who has been there for you. Maybe they can buy a house, a car, or other things. You want to take care of mom and dad, your grandmother. It is not so simple as what school and classes you will attend or which field will be your home field. This is not the players fault.

One potential solution is that there is a deadline for schools to make offers. Maybe after October 1 no more offers can be made. I hate to propose such simple, obvious solutions based on common sense, but that is what I am doing.

Didn’t we hire Dino and Rocky from schools to which they were contractually committed?
With clauses for what to do when the contract is broken?

I guess we could head off to court of chancery to seek equitable relief if our sole QB recruit breaks his agreement, and we have no chance to recover in time because the news comes too late. Make us whole!

I kid. But your original example was weak sauce.

About the "commitment" and why do they commit and then change their mind. First and foremost is that after a really good Sr. season, they get new offers that were not on the table when they committed to the original school. Now some bigger fish are interested in them. This is even before NIL and for years we have read about the signing day "surprises". So in many ways this is nothing new. Now add NIL and you have a good year and now people are coming to you with much better financial offers. You want to do what is best for your family who has been there for you. Maybe they can buy a house, a car, or other things. You want to take care of mom and dad, your grandmother. It is not so simple as what school and classes you will attend or which field will be your home field. This is not the players fault.

One potential solution is that there is a deadline for schools to make offers. Maybe after October 1 no more offers can be made. I hate to propose such simple, obvious solutions based on common sense, but that is what I am doing.
Sounds great to me , but if you set a early October date to offer you really wouldn’t have anyone to offer because they don’t enter the portal until the season is over usually.Can’t offer a kid that’s not in the portal.
I don’t think we want all these portal kids quitting mid season just so they become free agents during the season.

Doesn’t the transfer portals, their differing deadlines, complicate that? Colleges don’t know who will be returning for bowl games a few months later less the next year. Just seems like a mess to me. (What do I know?)

I’m confused why young kids commit early before they really are sure where they really want to go? Is there some advantage to committing early despite being unsure? Is it just to insure they have a spot somewhere? Too bad they make a decision early that they may change dependent on who other schools at the time, don’t get. Bad and sad for them and the school that is decommitted from but happens so often it probably is a moot point. Pressure for all involved.

I think it’s part bird in the hand and part the attention you get from the announcement.

Having come of age without any talent (other than my rugged good looks that girls oddly didn’t notice) and without the craziness of social media, I can’t really relate. But it’s just what I assume.

The only people who can fault an 18 YO kid for changing his mind on the biggest decision of his life, to date, better not have ever broken an engagement, divorced someone, or left a job. If they have, they are just a hypocrite.
I see the parallel with the first 2, but not leaving a job. Accepting a job offer then not showing up for the first day is probably more analogous. Leaving a job would be the parallel of transferring.

College football has turned into a disgrace and those in charge of the colleges and universities should be ashamed for allowing all of this garbage to happen……..is this part of their mission statement? The NFL is such a superior product, not because the players are better, because every team has the same amount of money to spend each year. I will always watch Syracuse games, but I could care less about watching the same schools win every year!

Last edited:
Certainly to have a place holder in case they get injured again or nobody else offers.

Doesn’t the transfer portals, their differing deadlines, complicate that? Colleges don’t know who will be returning for bowl games a few months later less the next year. Just seems like a mess to me. (What do I know?)
I think I was including that ALL of this would change. Maybe Oct. 1 is too early. Maybe the day after the regular season ends. Those entering the portal know by then, or they should in all fairness. But I know so much is wrapped around all of this with incoming players, declaring for the NFL players, and portal players. But by mid November most players know these things. I probably over simplified my statement, but the bottom line is if those in power sat down and analyzed all of this, they could come up with a more fair and just system for at least 80% of the players on the move and the programs looking to fill their rosters.

Yeah, I'm kinda resigned to this idea now too.

He wasn't seeing the field here next season almost no matter what, so it's not mandatory we have him here for this next season (other than the benefit of actually having him, and having him learn the system).

Maybe after a year of riding the pine at SCAR, he sees what an absolute CF his new OC is, and then decides that he really should be at Cuse after all.

In that scenario, we'd then have him on the roster until he went Pro or graduated.
Which, frankly, might be better overall.

Yeah, I'd rather have a QB have a year learning the system before you give the keys to a true freshman who only arrives on campus for Summer Camp.

Does Sellers not think he can beat out the other 2 guys, one of whom played a bit this year, and the other was hurt in spring practice?

Are we all going to continue to gloss over the fact that people are getting upset about a k

Are we going to continue to gloss over the fact that people are getting upset about a kid for “reneging on a commitment” who only came into SU’s stratosphere after reneging on a commitment to Virginia?

So by your reasoning did you not have any respect for him while he was committed to SU? And does the next (possible) decommitment make him have double no respect, or does it even it out with the whole two negatives make a positive?
Well to be fair he reneged on that commitment to stay committed to a coach who moved from UVA to Syracuse. Now he’s potentially reneging on that commitment as well.

Are we going to continue to gloss over the fact that people are getting upset about a kid “reneging on a commitment” who only came into SU’s stratosphere after reneging on his first commitment to Virginia?

So was there no respect for him in the first place? Furthermore, will his 2nd (potential) decommitment put him on double secret probation in the respect department or is it one of those pesky two negatives make a positive situation?

At the end of the day, they are kids. They are allowed to take as much time as they want and change their mind as much as they want. Shoot, how many times have we all changed the channel on the tv or radio in our cars over the past few days? So let’s have some perspective here and let the kids be kids and wish them the best with these life-changing decisions.

Apples and Oranges. He followed a coach who he built a relationship with and who stuck with him throughout an injury. He may now renege to a coach who finally decided he might be good enough to play for him.

With clauses for what to do when the contract is broken?

I guess we could head off to court of chancery to seek equitable relief if our sole QB recruit breaks his agreement, and we have no chance to recover in time because the news comes too late. Make us whole!

I kid. But your original example was weak sauce.
Written contracts. This is an unenforceable agreement to agree, which is voidable by either side.

Are we going to continue to gloss over the fact that people are getting upset about a kid “reneging on a commitment” who only came into SU’s stratosphere after reneging on his first commitment to Virginia?

So was there no respect for him in the first place? Furthermore, will his 2nd (potential) decommitment put him on double secret probation in the respect department or is it one of those pesky two negatives make a positive situation?

At the end of the day, they are kids. They are allowed to take as much time as they want and change their mind as much as they want. Shoot, how many times have we all changed the channel on the tv or radio in our cars over the past few days? So let’s have some perspective here and let the kids be kids and wish them the best with these life-changing decisions.
Didn’t about 1/2 of SU’s incoming class commit somewhere else first?