Class of 2023 - QB LaNorris Sellers (SC) Flipped to South Carolina | Page 92 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 QB LaNorris Sellers (SC) Flipped to South Carolina

A fine American automobile out of Tuscaloosa!!!
I love the first reply to his post! Hilarious!

We couldn't get you a cheerleader.

That's what the brown bag is for.
Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

I don’t think he’s doubting his decision right now.

This is for his “automotive transportation needs.” Does he have separate sponsorship for his avation or rail transportation needs?

Yeah this is very much, in my opinion, what NIL was created to do for the kids
I think it does make it more fair for the high value kids. Before, there was this morality vibe that if they did accept pay for play they were doing something wrong, but if they wanted to do something wrong and get paid certain programs were willing to do that. Now they can play pretty much wherever and still get compensated well.

I guess it’s debatable as to whether the former system or the current lack of a system were better.

I’d like to see a mix of the two where the high value kids get their value irrespective of where they play but there is still parity in overall NIL pools. To a degree. I don’t want to see Ohio St limited on NIL because Tulane isn’t willing to pay at a certain level, for example.

I think it does make it more fair for the high value kids. Before, there was this morality vibe that if they did accept pay for play they were doing something wrong, but if they wanted to do something wrong and get paid certain programs were willing to do that. Now they can play pretty much wherever and still get compensated well.

I guess it’s debatable as to whether the former system or the current lack of a system were better.

I’d like to see a mix of the two where the high value kids get their value irrespective of where they play but there is still parity in overall NIL pools. To a degree. I don’t want to see Ohio St limited on NIL because Tulane isn’t willing to pay at a certain level, for example.
It's not so much about willing or unwilling, it's about ability. Tulane will never have Ohio State's resources. It's why a salary cap has worked so well in the NFL. Without one, a team like Green Bay would never be able to compete with the wealthiest teams in the NFL. How do you do that with NIL? I don't think you can. The Lakers can only pay Lebron so much, but Nike doesn't have those limitations.

Last edited:
It's so much about willing or unwilling, it's about ability. Tulane will never have Ohio State's resources. It's why a salary cap has worked so well in the NFL. Without one, a team like Green Bay would never be able to compete with the wealthiest teams in the NFL. How do you do that with NIL? I don't think you can. The Lakers can only pay Lebron so much, but Nike doesn't have those limitations.
Since the schools don’t directly compensate the players outside of scholarships and limited stipends, the only group you could theoretically put a cap on are the collectives. And I think there may be legs there because the collectives in my opinion are compensating the player to play at a certain school, just like a team compensates a pro player. You will never be able to cap a products based business endorsing players, just like you can’t cap Nike with NBA players, and because of that schools in major metro areas or with strong brands are always going to have an advantage.

Since the schools don’t directly compensate the players outside of scholarships and limited stipends, the only group you could theoretically put a cap on are the collectives. And I think there may be legs there because the collectives in my opinion are compensating the player to play at a certain school, just like a team compensates a pro player. You will never be able to cap a products based business endorsing players, just like you can’t cap Nike with NBA players, and because of that schools in major metro areas or with strong brands are always going to have an advantage.
Maybe you could cap the collectives, but then it just takes one wealthy independent fan here and there to be "Nike" and then it doesn't matter. I think that may be bigger than being in a major metro area.

Maybe you could cap the collectives, but then it just takes one wealthy independent fan here and there to be "Nike" and then it doesn't matter. I think that may be bigger than being in a major metro area.
Yep and at the end of they day, you can't stop that. The players deserve to be compensated their value on the open market.

Had this been addressed proactively 30+ years ago with the advent of cable television and major conference TV contracts, then an appropriate, logical system could have been put in place and tested out over time. Which was critical as the media market compensation schemes grew to where they are now. But due to the NCAA restricting it, and then being forced to allow NIL once a gun was put to it's head, we're way behind the 8 ball here and now we've got this "lack of a system" system. I blame the NCAA and the major conferences 10000% for this cluster.

Yep and at the end of they day, you can't stop that. The players deserve to be compensated their value on the open market.

Had this been addressed proactively 30+ years ago with the advent of cable television and major conference TV contracts, then an appropriate, logical system could have been put in place and tested out over time. Which was critical as the media market compensation schemes grew to where they are now. But due to the NCAA restricting it, and then being forced to allow NIL once a gun was put to it's head, we're way behind the 8 ball here and now we've got this "lack of a system" system. I blame the NCAA and the major conferences 10000% for this cluster.
This cluster was going to happen no matter what. Nothing the NCAA or conferences did or could do would have completely prevented it. It's not really a true market the way consumable products are. It's a market filled with psycho fans that would sell their babies for national championships. That will always lead to chaos.

When the players unionize some of the problems can be fixed. As to whether that creates new ones though.

But really how long do people pay players 500k for not producing on the field even if its not called pay for play.

When the players unionize some of the problems can be fixed. As to whether that creates new ones though.

But really how long do people pay players 500k for not producing on the field even if its not called pay for play.
I've always felt that the NCAA needs to pay the players through a unionized model. Take the pay away from schools or school representatives (NIL). The players will be paid equally for their NIL. They will get paid accordingly per sport. But, theoretically it would level the playing field. The NCAA had their window and they predictably dropped the ball and allowed things to get to where they are now, and it won't go back. I am sure smarter people than I will shoot holes in my idea, but that's the direction I thought it should go.

I don't see how unionizing can place any limitations on NIL. You can't tell a private entity they can't give money to someone. It would be like the NBAPL controlling how much Nike can pay Lebron. They can't. The players can unionize and negotiate pay from the schools, but that will be separate from NIL. And just like when MJ made 10X more in endorsements than he did in NBA salary, we could see something similar with the most sought after college players.