Class of 2015 - Question for Recruiting Mavens | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Question for Recruiting Mavens

Crusty

Living Legend
I know the class is not finished yet, but at this point have we helped ourselves more on defense or offense? Also, will D or O recruits in this class help us sooner?

I know the class is not finished yet, but at this point have we helped ourselves more on defense or offense? Also, will D or O recruits in this class help us sooner?
Tough to say. We have a nice looking group of OL, who will probably take a few years to contribute (as is usually the case). We also have Dungey at QB who will also need time, and two really good RB's who may play immediately. And Dunk at TE. I think we're going to rely on what we already have at WR.

The D group is solid across the board, and if anyone contributes early, it will be a DB methinks. The LB's look good and should give us a tremendous 2-deep in 2016. DL will need time to develop, except possibly Cross.

LS and K will play immediately, and will probably affect our game more than any other recruits.

I'm giving the defense the nod. Not enough flash and sizzle on offense, but that is largely dictated by what we needed this year.

Crusty said:

I'm not the best guy to judge this kind of thing - but I think Dunkleberger and Strickland are immediate offensive contributors. Maybe Fredricks. I think on D, some of the secondary guys have a chance to break in (only because we lose a lot back there).

Tough to say. We have a nice looking group of OL, who will probably take a few years to contribute (as is usually the case). We also have Dungey at QB who will also need time, and two really good RB's who may play immediately. And Dunk at TE. I think we're going to rely on what we already have at WR.

The D group is solid across the board, and if anyone contributes early, it will be a DB methinks. The LB's look good and should give us a tremendous 2-deep in 2016. DL will need time to develop, except possibly Cross.

LS and K will play immediately, and will probably affect our game more than any other recruits.

I'm giving the defense the nod. Not enough flash and sizzle on offense, but that is largely dictated by what we needed this year.

Thanks. Since I don't follow recruiting closely, I am always interested to vet my general impressions with others that do.

You make an excellent point about the kickers (and LS). Playing in a Dome that ain't nuttin.

My impressions about DB are the same. We have helped ourselves a lot at DB with size and speed. I am starting to think that year after next year we could have the best D since 2009.

Since we really don't know what Lester will run next year, it is hard to make assessments on the O. However, these OL guys look like big boys and not necessarily the type of lineman to run a spread or option offense. Think that is correct?

Here is a question to add to yours. When the coaches came out they said they are done offering 15 class kids. What's out is out. Now they also said they have 3 slots left. That was before the long snapper committed. So with the offers out that you are aware of pick your two players you want to see commit to most help the team from your point of view

Thanks. Since I don't follow recruiting closely, I am always interested to vet my general impressions with others that do.

You make an excellent point about the kickers (and LS). Playing in a Dome that ain't nuttin.

My impressions about DB are the same. We have helped ourselves a lot at DB with size and speed. I am starting to think that year after next year we could have the best D since 2009.

Since we really don't know what Lester will run next year, it is hard to make assessments on the O. However, these OL guys look like big boys and not necessarily the type of lineman to run a spread or option offense. Think that is correct?

Both T commits (Adams and Conway) are more then athletic enough to handle both offenses with some development, they can pull. Both G commits (Clausman and Byrne, maybe Deurig) can handle pulling, but they are definitely more in the road grader mold.

Based on info Dunkelbarger has gotten (wanting him to be able to move from traditional TE to slot/backfield), I really don't think the overall scheme is changing that much. Offense will be improved simply by being healthy and better QB play next year (can't be worse).

Defense gets more immediate help, both with DB's (Blair) and LB's (Henderson). Offense will see Dontae Strickland play right away, but would be surprised if anyone else does.

To answer Bam's question below for me:

DB Jay Stocker - We were on him incredibly early in the process before things slowed down. Would assume he is near the top of our DB wish list, but I guess a lot has changed.

QB/WR Donovan Hale - Offense needs athletes. Hale seems to be a safer bet then others we are recruiting to make it here for next season (all based on 4th hand information).

I'm not the best guy to judge this kind of thing - but I think Dunkleberger and Strickland are immediate offensive contributors. Maybe Fredricks. I think on D, some of the secondary guys have a chance to break in (only because we lose a lot back there).

I am not picking on you but in the 2015 class there is a Fredericks and a Fredrick. Would y'all please get it right before it drives me nuttier than I already am. Thank you.

Here is a question to add to yours. When the coaches came out they said they are done offering 15 class kids. What's out is out. Now they also said they have 3 slots left. That was before the long snapper committed. So with the offers out that you are aware of pick your two players you want to see commit to most help the team from your point of view
Wow, if it truly is only two, that is tough. So many I would love to have.

I would pick one DL, probably Clark or Sheppard. Interior DL is typically hard to find good kids, so I would go with Clark.

I would also pick WR Tears. I have a nagging sense of doubt about our WR group, especially after this year when so many were injured. Not a knock on talent - sometimes it is difficult for kids to stay healthy, especially after they start down the injury path.

It's not as exciting sounding as the other possibilities, but it's true.

I think Strickland might have a chance to play a lot though.

I've lost track of some of our recruits from last year - what about Eduoard, Dawson, Prater & Williams?

I've lost track of some of our recruits from last year - what about Eduoard, Dawson, Prater & Williams?

I don't think Prater or Williams make it here. I question if Dawson is ever cleared to play. Edouard... :noidea:

Technically Trey and Keller could be counted towards the 2014 class as they will both be enrolling in January. So semantically they could still leave three openings. Just sounds like too few. Hale and Crawford, looking at their offers and the fact they seem to take visits together seem like a package deal.

I forgot he was early ok what three would you take... I will now take Amir and Kelley

However, these OL guys look like big boys and not necessarily the type of lineman to run a spread or option offense. Think that is correct?

What's a spread lineman?

Assuming the heights/weights are accurate these 5 average

6-3 292

FSU's starting OL goes 6-5 323

Technically Trey and Keller could be counted towards the 2014 class as they will both be enrolling in January. So semantically they could still leave three openings. Just sounds like too few. Hale and Crawford, looking at their offers and the fact they seem to take visits together seem like a package deal.

From the current list of 2015 commits, Keller, Davis, and Dunkleberger are all early enrollees and Prater, Dawson and Edouard could all be backdated I believe (if any of them make it).

Thus, while obviously all scholarship players count against our 85 scholly max, I believe that we have more than 3 spots available for the 2015 class especially if the strong possibility there are non-qualifiers among current commits.

It is my opinion that we could take an additional 5-6 that aren't currently committed to the class as of today.

Its hard to disagree with what the coaches are privately saying to a recruit but the numbers don't add up.

If we only have 3 spots left then I'm admittedly disappointed when you look at who's still out there and what our needs are.

WR Spencer Tears
LB Jordan Fox
DB DaQuin Kelly (I put him here because we just went to see him)
ATH Donavan Hale, Largo, FL
S Jonathan Crawford, Largo, FL
LB Doyle Grimes, Largo, FL
DB Jay Stocker, Coatesville, PA
DE/TE Amir Ealey, Coatesville, PA
DT Steven Clark, Brindlee, AL
DE Qaadir Sheppard, Iona Prep, NY
OL Tyree St Louis, Bradenton, FL (IMG) Miami Commit

plus there's Freddie Simmons who's recently quoted as saying the staff told him he'd be the only WR they take.

Its hard to disagree with what the coaches are privately saying to a recruit but the numbers don't add up.

If we only have 3 spots left then I'm admittedly disappointed when you look at who's still out there and what our needs are.

WR Spencer Tears
LB Jordan Fox
DB DaQuin Kelly (I put him here because we just went to see him)
ATH Donavan Hale, Largo, FL
S Jonathan Crawford, Largo, FL
LB Doyle Grimes, Largo, FL
DB Jay Stocker, Coatesville, PA
DE/TE Amir Ealey, Coatesville, PA
DT Steven Clark, Brindlee, AL
DE Qaadir Sheppard, Iona Prep, NY
OL Tyree St Louis, Bradenton, FL (IMG) Miami Commit

plus there's Freddie Simmons who's recently quoted as saying the staff told him he'd be the only WR they take.

Yeah something just doesn't add up with that number. It has to be more than 3.

Yeah something just doesn't add up with that number. It has to be more than 3.
Are y'all forgetting about the infamous silent verbal??!! :rolleyes:

If the number is truly 3 then I think some offerees had best make their decision before they find themselves on the outside looking in. Sounds like the coaches are ready to wrap up 2015 and move on to 2016.

If the number is truly 3 then I think some offerees had best make their decision before they find themselves on the outside looking in. Sounds like the coaches are ready to wrap up 2015 and move on to 2016.

It could also be that the coaches maybe have 3 vacancies [in terms of fishes and loaves], but are willing to take more than 3 commitments from class of 2015 propsects due to:
  • The chance that one or more of the current commits won't qualify academically
  • One of the current recruits de-committing and / or deciding to head elsewhere later in the recruiting process
  • Unexpected attrition that might be impossible to forecast now, but that will probably occur over spring semester [we always lose a player or two unexpectedly, as do most programs]

Last edited:
It could also be that the coaches maybe have 3 vacancies [in terms of fishes and loaves], but are willing to take more than 3 commitments from class of 2015 propsects due to:
  • The chance that one or more of the current commits won't qualify academically
  • Unexpected attrition that might be impossible to forecast now, but that will probably occur over spring semester [we always lose a player or two unexpectedly, as do most programs]

Assuming that we have 57 returning players from last year (Arciniega back, Eskridge, Funder, Sloan and George all gone), there's room for 28 newbies.

We currently have 24 verbals, plus Edouard and Prater from last year. I'm not even counting KJ Williams.

There's always some last minute movement. We'll have a better idea when the Spring semester starts who's back and who isn't.

Pretty sure we will take at least 5 or 6 more since some kids will count towards 2014.

Sheppard and Clark are my near locks.

Grimes is nearing near lock status.

Hoping for Crawford or Stocker, but not too confident.

Pretty sure Kelly is all but out.

Pretty sure we will take at least 5 or 6 more since some kids will count towards 2014.

Sheppard and Clark are my near locks.

Grimes is nearing near lock status.

Hoping for Crawford or Stocker, but not too confident.

Pretty sure Kelly is all but out.

I went back and checked, because I am old an senile...but originally Grimes was suppose to be a January enrollee.

I looked at the list from this weekends OV. There were 14 kids. Four were already committed to SU. Steyn wasn't offered. Keller is a Jan enrollee as is Trey and if Grimes recommits he may be also. So that leaves six visitors for three open spots unless someone else is enrolling early?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom