Class of 2014 - RB Erv Phillips (CT) | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 RB Erv Phillips (CT)

I ended up watching the game on TV. They showed it live. Philips looked good. He ran for 123 yards, including TDs of 57 and 9 yards. He also made a game-saving tackle in OT at the goal line to preserve the win. As has been noted, he's not an every down back but will be great as a slot back and possibly a punt returner. I'm going to try to catch him again soon.

Looks like Erv, Naes and Zaire will be at the Wake game. Maybe Rodney too.

I ended up watching the game on TV. They showed it live. Philips looked good. He ran for 123 yards, including TDs of 57 and 9 yards. He also made a game-saving tackle in OT at the goal line to preserve the win. As has been noted, he's not an every down back but will be great as a slot back and possibly a punt returner. I'm going to try to catch him again soon.
"Not an everydown back?" Not many backs fit into that category. I'm just looking for a player to get clear and go all the way without being caught from behind after breaking free and running at his full speed.

1. Ervin Philips ‏@Ambition1_ 16h
  2. They want me to play as a true freshman
  1. Ervin Philips ‏@Ambition1_ 16h
    Just got off the phone with my RB coach from Syracuse
For me it seems dangerous to make that type of statement/promise before the kid sets foot on campus. Tell him he can compete to play as a frosh without a doubt, but he has to prove it before he gets to avoid the redshirt.

That said these guys seem to know what they are doing...

For me it seems dangerous to make that type of statement/promise before the kid sets foot on campus. Tell him he can compete to play as a frosh without a doubt, but he has to prove it before he gets to avoid the redshirt.

That said these guys seem to know what they are doing...
Motivation. Come in ready to play.

Motivation. Come in ready to play.
Yes but all but promising he won't redshirt isn't a good idea. Tell them he will have every opportunity to earn PT from day one, but don't take the RS off the table. If he comes in and isn't ready to contribute redshirt ing him when he was sure he wouldn't could send him transferring outta here

All I'm saying is don't promise anything, make it all about being competitive for a non RS spot

Yes but all but promising he won't redshirt isn't a good idea. Tell them he will have every opportunity to earn PT from day one, but don't take the RS off the table. If he comes in and isn't ready to contribute redshirt ing him when he was sure he wouldn't could send him transferring outta here

All I'm saying is don't promise anything, make it all about being competitive for a non RS spot

No promise was made. All coaches want every freshman to play right away and tell them that. I guarantee both Edouard and Long were recruited b/c the staff told them they want them to play as true frosh.

If they promised him (especially at that position), then there is fault. I just don't think they took it as far as you think they did.

Of course he needs to play. If Jerome bolts he's number 3 on the depth chart. I can't believe rbs aren't tripping over each other to come here. Surprised we keep whiffing

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Of course he needs to play. If Jerome bolts he's number 3 on the depth chart. I can't believe rbs aren't tripping over each other to come here. Surprised we keep whiffing

Sent from my iPod touch using

Philips is not an every down back. Great receiver out of the backfield, but don't expect him to carry it more than 8-10 times a game. He'll be a situational back.

he has said he was recruited as an H-back. Will be interested to see who/if we add a running back

Philips is not an every down back. Great receiver out of the backfield, but don't expect him to carry it more than 8-10 times a game. He'll be a situational back.

I think the everydown back is going to be almost non-existent in the new Syracuse offense. I think McDonald wants dual threat backs that can make people miss in space.

I think our days of having a big, physical back in the mold of Jerome Smith is over.

I think the everydown back is going to be almost non-existent in the new Syracuse offense. I think McDonald wants dual threat backs that can make people miss in space.

I think our days of having a big, physical back in the mold of Jerome Smith is over.
I hope, as mentioned in other threads, that 'Cuse is moving toward spread type personnel, and fast/shifty backs will be more the norm. Though there is always room for both in every offense (the pounder who can get you 2 yards when you need one, and the lightening bolt who can get you 15+ when the play was designed for 4-5)...

I am pretty sure that DeAnthony Thomas only "carries" the ball 8-10 times a game. Is he good?

He touches the ball about 25 times a game though. Is he an "every down back".

DHHS Sports Flash ‏@DhhsSportsflash 1h
WH's Irving Phillips brings it 64 yds on the first play from scrimmage. W Haven 7, Hand 0. 11:43 1st. #cthsfb

Last I checked it was West Haven 40 Hand 14

DHHS Sports Flash ‏@DhhsSportsflash 1h
WH's Irving Phillips brings it 64 yds on the first play from scrimmage. W Haven 7, Hand 0. 11:43 1st. #cthsfb

Last I checked it was West Haven 40 Hand 14

Erv with 3 more TDs. West Haven up 46-27 with 4 to play.

Nice compliment from the opposing coach in that article..

"We did not tackle well,” Hand coach Steve Filippone said. “We did not tackle well because they have some of the best backs in the state. Erv is the best back in the state and that is no offense to Arkeel Newsome. He is in a class with him and (Harold) Cooper. He is the best back for what he does for his team.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom