Class of 2017 - RB Gus Edwards will be Grad Transfer/Commits to Rutgers | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 RB Gus Edwards will be Grad Transfer/Commits to Rutgers

Well, officially The U said he can't transfer to SU or Pitt.
And, to the best of my knowledge, nothing official has been stated since then.

So - not sure how this is 'known', or who it is 'known' by -
but the thread title doesn't say COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE, so I'm gonna go on assuming that until that changes, it's not actually 'known'.

Have Faith- belief without evidence!

What has been known is Gus and his family are trying to get Miami to let him transfer wherever he wants. Which likely means he wants to come to SU or Pitt. Nothing official about him definitely wanting to transfer to SU but my money is on it if Miami relents

So just like 721 said, him wanting to come is different than his definitely coming. Everyone knows that he wants to come but there is the dilemma of whether Miami will let him come to SU or not. So like I said there is nothing definite yet.

So just like 721 said, him wanting to come is different than his definitely coming. Everyone knows that he wants to come but there is the dilemma of whether Miami will let him come to SU or not. So like I said there is nothing definite yet.

Yes I said it poorly but was supporting what you guys were saying

Is he graduating this spring or did it already happen?

I believe in the spring so there is time for Miami to do the right thing and release him unconditionally

Alternatively Gus could appeal to the NCAA who would conduct an investigation into the rights of grad students and determine that a student who fulfilled a four year obligation and received a degree with eligibility remaining has satisfied the obligations under his LOA and can transfer anywhere for graduate studies, just like a regular student. So Gus will be free to transfer to Syracuse.

Unfortunately if he were to appeal today, the NCAA would probably not reach that conclusion until November...

...of 2025.

Alternatively Gus could appeal to the NCAA who would conduct an investigation into the rights of grad students and determine that a student who fulfilled a four year obligation and received a degree with eligibility remaining has satisfied the obligations under his LOA and can transfer anywhere for graduate studies, just like a regular student. So Gus will be free to transfer to Syracuse.

Unfortunately if he were to appeal today, the NCAA would probably not reach that conclusion until November...

...of 2025.

...and dock us a couple of schollies in the process

Just a little blurb here indicating Gus is no longer listed on the UM football roster. They had been trying to convince him to change his mind and stay.

Looks like he is definitely leaving.

Five-star 2018 running back prospect Lorenzo Lingard commits to Miami

One other thought. If Gus doesn't get permission to enroll here, could Syracuse get involved with Justin Brent?

Brent is yet another ND transfer. Graduating this summer, will have 2 to play 2.

He is a RB/WR who would also fill the urgent need for a power running back. A lot of top schools are being considered and SU was not among them, but he is from Indianapolis, an area Babers and his staff like to recruit, and he would be a really good fit.

Justin Brent Bio :: Notre Dame Football :: UND.COM :: The Official Site of Notre Dame Athletics

Last edited:
Just a little blurb here indicating Gus is no longer listed on the UM football roster. They had been trying to convince him to change his mind and stay.

Looks like he is definitely leaving.

Five-star 2018 running back prospect Lorenzo Lingard commits to Miami

One other thought. If Gus doesn't get permission to enroll here, could Syracuse get involved with Justin Brent?

Brent is yet another ND transfer. Graduating this summer, will have 2 to play 2.

He is a RB/WR who would also fill the urgent need for a power running back. A lot of top schools are being considered and SU was not among them, but he is from Indianapolis, an area Babers and his staff like to recruit, and he would be a really good fit.

Justin Brent Bio :: Notre Dame Football :: UND.COM :: The Official Site of Notre Dame Athletics
I'll let you Google why but Brent comes with a bit of baggage. Many around the ND program are of the opinion that skill/football were not what buried him on the depth chart these past 2 seasons.

Miami Hurricanes AD Blake James updates on 2017 spring game, indoor practice facility, Gus Edwards, NCAA issues | Canes Watch (palmbeachpost.com; Porter)

Bus still parked: Asked if running back Gus “The Bus: Edwards, who last month announced through UM his plans to transfer, was still doing so, James said Edwards hasn’t requested a release.

Edwards, a reserve entering his redshirt senior season, posted on social media before the Russell Athletic Bowl that it would be his last game as a Hurricane, and UM announced his “plans to transfer” on Jan. 18. James clarified the following week that if Edwards was to transfer, he would not be given a waiver to go to Pittsburgh or Syracuse, two schools close to his home but on the Hurricanes’ 2017 schedule.

However, he didn’t at that time request a release, and James said Tuesday that, “to the best of my knowledge, he has not formally requested anything to date.”

Edwards is not listed on Miami’s online roster.

Cuse Twitter Army get some people riled up that have complained about Spike Albrecht etc.

Miami Putting Stipulations On Gus Edwards’ Transfer

Richt at the beginning of his first season at Miami and has had the same policy throughout his career at UGA

(unrestricted transfer) It was something he routinely allowed during his time at Georgia and he even spoke to that effect right before the start of his first season leading Miami.

“I’ve unconditionally released every guy that ever wanted to leave,” Richt said after an August practice. “I think [life is] too short. I would call the commissioner and say, ‘If the kid wants to go, wherever he wants to go, let him go.”

Also we're not in division where as Pitt is in the coastal so its less of a concern. What does someone need to call Blake James and have a "strange premonition" that Gus will get a "minor lower body injury" prior to the Cuse-Miami game and be "held out as a precaution"? Ludicrous they have so many 4-5 star guys on their roster.

Cuse Twitter Army get some people riled up that have complained about Spike Albrecht etc.

Miami Putting Stipulations On Gus Edwards’ Transfer

Richt at the beginning of his first season at Miami and has had the same policy throughout his career at UGA

(unrestricted transfer) It was something he routinely allowed during his time at Georgia and he even spoke to that effect right before the start of his first season leading Miami.

“I’ve unconditionally released every guy that ever wanted to leave,” Richt said after an August practice. “I think [life is] too short. I would call the commissioner and say, ‘If the kid wants to go, wherever he wants to go, let him go.”

Also we're not in division where as Pitt is in the coastal so its less of a concern. What does someone need to call Blake James and have a "strange premonition" that Gus will get a "minor lower body injury" prior to the Cuse-Miami game and be "held out as a precaution"? Ludicrous they have so many 4-5 star guys on their roster.
The Miami R1vals site has a post saying it looks like Gus has found a team, and that more info will be available this afternoon. I don't have a subscription and can't see anything more.

But I would guess we will soon know where he is headed. Really soon.

It isn't Richt it is Miami policy they won't release to a team on the schedule. This is at the AD level not Richt doing it.

It isn't Richt it is Miami policy they won't release to a team on the schedule. This is at the AD level not Richt doing it.

Yeah I know maybe the Clemson AD should get the same policy never know when Miami might show up in the ACC championship game against the tigers. Miami is after all the clemson grad transfers they can get.

The Miami R1vals site has a post saying it looks like Gus has found a team, and that more info will be available this afternoon. I don't have a subscription and can't see anything more.

But I would guess we will soon know where he is headed. Really soon.

And if it's soon, my guess is that it won't be Syracuse.

If it's not Syracuse I hope we beat Miami's butt this year. And we will

He would be the #2 RB behind Walton if he stayed. Miami didn't sign any RB that will play this year as McFarland switched last minute to Maryland. He should just stick it out he would get his carries and be able to prove if he is a top RB.

He would be the #2 RB behind Walton if he stayed. Miami didn't sign any RB that will play this year as McFarland switched last minute to Maryland. He should just stick it out he would get his carries and be able to prove if he is a top RB.
I wouldn't count Robert Burns out. He is the prototypical power back and could see lot's of time. Plus I think for Gus it's more about wanting to play near home his final year.

I wouldn't count Robert Burns out. He is the prototypical power back and could see lot's of time. Plus I think for Gus it's more about wanting to play near home his final year.

exactly, he is a dad, he wants to be close to home, I am sure he needs the support of his family to help him and his girlfriend(don't think they are married at this point?) take care of their child. If Blake James wants to save face with this dopey policy, he should let Gus come to SU and just publically state that their policy remains but he made an exception because Gus has a child and it's a unique situation. He can keep his precious policy in place and will be doing the right thing at the same time (imagine that, doing the right thing).

He visited Rutgers last week

ETA: Rovals now reporting he's deciding between RU and Oklahoma State on Monday. RU is recruiting him as a FB

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom