Class of 2017 - RB Gus Edwards will be Grad Transfer/Commits to Rutgers | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 RB Gus Edwards will be Grad Transfer/Commits to Rutgers

Why??? If Miami takes any pride in their program this should be a non-issue. I mean really, how much can one player pass on to the coaching staff. If Miami's staff is any good they would change signals for plays being called in anyway.
A young adult sacrifices his body and potential brain damage FOR FREE for four years by directly contributing to something that generates millions of dollars of revenue for the school...and that school has the balls to tell him upon graduation, "Nope, can't let you go where you want to go."

It's freakin criminal.

I know I'm not saying anything that everyone else in this thread has said but I just can't comprehend how this athletic director / coach / whoever is responsible who would stop Edwards from doing anything he wants to do with his life after he graduates is able to sleep at night. This person must truly look at these athletes like they are cattle and nothing more. And honestly I don't think I'm being dramatic.

Why??? If Miami takes any pride in their program this should be a non-issue. I mean really, how much can one player pass on to the coaching staff. If Miami's staff is any good they would change signals for plays being called in anyway.

Agreed. Not saying it's right. Just saying remove the stated barrier. Compromise.

Listen, athletes don't play for "free." Leaving college without the burden of a $180,000 debt (plus interest) is absolute real value.

But no way a grad transfer should be stonewalled from transferring anywhere he/she wants to transfer. Outrageous to think otherwise.

And to add to this--we let an under grad transfer to another school and play multiple games against us and he killed us every time! I'm referring of course to Dontez Ford at Pitt.

Proving once again that Syracuse has more integrity and balls than most programs in the NCAA

Listen, athletes don't play for "free." Leaving college without the burden of a $180,000 debt (plus interest) is absolute real value.
The NCAA is happy that there are still those of you who fall for this charade.

We need to get real here. This is not a fair trade for most of these Big 5 football players and major college basketball players. Some, sure. And a free education for the majority who otherwise would never have pursued those degrees and/or will not use them even if they earn them is almost useless.

These are unpaid university employees. That's the bottom line. To think otherwise is willingly burying your head in the sand.

The NCAA is happy that there are still those of you who fall for this charade.

We need to get real here. This is not a fair trade for most of these Big 5 football players and major college basketball players. Some, sure. And a free education for the majority who otherwise would never have pursued those degrees and/or will not use them even if they earn them is almost useless.

These are unpaid university employees. That's the bottom line. To think otherwise is willingly burying your head in the sand.

Your comment on the majority of kids never intending to pursue a degree and/or will not use the degree is nothing more than bigoted.

I still think that since he doesn't have his degree in hand the university can dictate his academic future. Once He graduates I don't think they can no longer make his decision on where he wants to go. I think they are all butt hurt over his decision on leaving and just trying to make his choice much harder.

I still think that since he doesn't have his degree in hand the university can dictate his academic future. Once He graduates I don't think they can no longer make his decision on where he wants to go. I think they are all butt hurt over his decision on leaving and just trying to make his choice much harder.
Lets hope so!

Your comment on the majority of kids never intending to pursue a degree and/or will not use the degree is nothing more than bigoted.
Bigoted? Wow, in my 34.5 years that's a first. Guess there really is a first time for everything. I'll try not to take it personal.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Perhaps "majority" is an exaggeration but the numbers are irrelevant. The point is that if you think a college education is an equal trade for what these young people put their bodies through and the money generated, you're either uninformed or in denial imo.

These athletes are professionals more or less who take the offer of a "free education" because the colleges offer nothing else (because they simply don't have to - yet).

If given a choice between a $180,000 education or $180,000 in salary, I really wonder how many Big 5 football players would take the education over the money.

I'm sure you and most on this forum value a college education more than I do, which is fine. At times I think it's unfortunate that we've developed a system where young people think they need to spend thousands of dollars for an education after high school that is often useless. But I digress.

Bigoted? Wow, in my 34.5 years that's a first. Guess there really is a first time for everything. I'll try not to take it personal.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Perhaps "majority" is an exaggeration but the numbers are irrelevant. The point is that if you think a college education is an equal trade for what these young people put their bodies through and the money generated, you're either uninformed or in denial imo.

These athletes are professionals more or less who take the offer of a "free education" because the colleges offer nothing else (because they simply don't have to - yet).

If given a choice between a $180,000 education or $180,000 in salary, I really wonder how many Big 5 football players would take the education over the money.

I'm sure you and most on this forum value a college education more than I do, which is fine. At times I think it's unfortunate that we've developed a system where young people think they need to spend thousands of dollars for an education after high school that is often useless. But I digress.
Yes...you do.

Check the unemployment numbers if you have a college degree as opposed to if you don't. It's a stark difference.

So now that Gus is coming here over under on a thousand yards?

Has there been sufficient social media moral outrage to shame the U athletic dept. into granting his unconditional release yet?
:noidea:

And IF he's coming to SU, THEN he's doing over 1,000 yards.
I take the over.

Has there been sufficient social media moral outrage to shame the U athletic dept. into granting his unconditional release yet?
:noidea:

And IF he's coming to SU, THEN he's doing over 1,000 yards.
I take the over.

I just have a gut feeling that we will be riding Gus the Bus to a bowl game... and my gut feelings are never wrong.

Get on it
th

Over!!! Thanks for bringing this back to Gus and our running back situation.

No problem. I take the over as well. I honestly think that regardless of who our RB is this year that we do significantly better. I think our Oline play will be much improved and we will be using a fb as well.

No problem. I take the over as well. I honestly think that regardless of who our RB is this year that we do significantly better. I think our Oline play will be much improved and we will be using a fb as well.

And have a TE to for the D to worry about also.

And have a TE to for the D to worry about also.

Exactly I think that there will be some big holes with the defense spread out. Dino is getting his toys and will be very dangerous. If Dungey can stay healthy we will be one of the hardest offenses in the ACC to stop.

It has been known for a while now. Where is all this surprise coming from?

Well, officially The U said he can't transfer to SU or Pitt.
And, to the best of my knowledge, nothing official has been stated since then.

So - not sure how this is 'known', or who it is 'known' by -
but the thread title doesn't say COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE, so I'm gonna go on assuming that until that changes, it's not actually 'known'.

What has been known is Gus and his family are trying to get Miami to let him transfer wherever he wants. Which likely means he wants to come to SU or Pitt. Nothing official about him definitely wanting to transfer to SU but my money is on it if Miami relents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom