RB Jawhar Jordan in the transfer portal | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

RB Jawhar Jordan in the transfer portal

This. ^^^ Short of putting on 30lbs of muscle in the off-season, surely he has to recognize that his future's in the slot. Get this kid in space where he'll do the most damage, not running up the gut on every 3rd & 4.
Up the gut? I keep reading this from people here. I know it looks like a dive play but Its inside zone. Most used play in football. Inside zone gives the back the chance to find the lane. Have to use your vision. The problem is that there were not many lanes because we couldnt block anyone (even with soft boxes). This offense has always been a power run, inside zone run scheme. Jordan knew that coming in. You can only run so much outside zone/edge plays when he is in the back field. The tendencies is way too easy for opponents to pick up. The problem was we were horrible up front when he got his carries. Travis Green ran for 1300 yards at 180 pounds in the scheme.

Last edited:
After that half of basketball I just booked all my hotel rooms for fall home games lol very excited for football again! But I like the optimism about the OL. I tend to agree and think we had an impossible situation last year. I expect big improvements.

Up the gut? I keep reading this from people here. I know it looks like a dive play but Its inside zone. Most used play in football. Inside zone gives the back the chance to find the lane. Have to use your vision. The problem is that there were many lanes because we couldnt block anyone (even with soft boxes). This offense has always been a power run, inside zone run scheme. Jordan knew that coming in. You can only run so much outside zone/edge plays when he is in the back field. The tendencies is way to easy for opponents to pick up. The problem was we were horrible up front when he got his carries. Travis Green ran for 1300 yards at 180 pounds in the scheme.
Good analysis and insight. Love this type of analysis as a non football coach and someone who stopped playing the game in HS.

The thing is, Jordan is the perfect complementary offensive player for this offense. Not the bruising power back, but speed and shiftiness. Not an every down back but a guy you can move around take advantage of his skills - at RB, in the slot, in a wildcat, for end arounds, and of course special teams. I hope the coaches continue to re-recruit this kid and help him realize that the grass may not be greener.

Jordan however, is not the same type of RB as Adams and Howard.
I agree. It's just funny how the narrative changes. Preaseason, we have guys opt out and some assume that losing carries to Jordan may have been a factor. Now Jordan going into the portal may be due to the opt out guys returning and taking his carries.

Up the gut? I keep reading this from people here. I know it looks like a dive play but Its inside zone. Most used play in football. Inside zone gives the back the chance to find the lane. Have to use your vision. The problem is that there were not many lanes because we couldnt block anyone (even with soft boxes). This offense has always been a power run, inside zone run scheme. Jordan knew that coming in. You can only run so much outside zone/edge plays when he is in the back field. The tendencies is way to easy for opponents to pick up. The problem was we were horrible up front when he got his carries. Travis Green ran for 1300 yards at 180 pounds in the scheme.
Fair enough, and yes, the quality of the OL has a lot to do w/ the success or failure of that zone play. But the fact still remains, this kid is not a bruising, durable back. So what needs or needed to happen was to put him in the best position to be most effective. And zone play or not, running him between the tackles was not that.
Of course if they told JJ that they’d be using him differently, or wanted him to switch positions to the slot and he disagreed, then so be it. Good luck to him.

Fair enough, and yes, the quality of the OL has a lot to do w/ the success or failure of that zone play. But the fact still remains, this kid is not a bruising, durable back. So what needs or needed to happen was to put him in the best position to be most effective. And zone play or not, running him between the tackles was not that.
Of course if they told JJ that they’d be using him differently, or wanted him to switch positions to the slot and he disagreed, then so be it. Good luck to him.
He was not asked to play slot. He was suppose to be a complimentary back along with a power back. We werent able to establish that becuse of our line troubles the past couple years. He would have got some swing passes, jets sweeps along with that. They were actually doing a little of that before he got hurt.

He was not asked to play slot. He was suppose to be a complimentary back along with a power back. We werent able to establish that becuse of our line troubles the past couple years. He would have got some swing passes, jets sweeps along with that. They were actually doing a little of that before he got hurt.
Yeah, and if that role was unacceptable to him and shaped his decision to leave, again...power to him.
But you’re right, he certainly knew what to expect in this offense when he came here. Maybe the frustration got to him. Sucks.

Up the gut? I keep reading this from people here. I know it looks like a dive play but Its inside zone. Most used play in football. Inside zone gives the back the chance to find the lane. Have to use your vision. The problem is that there were not many lanes because we couldnt block anyone (even with soft boxes). This offense has always been a power run, inside zone run scheme. Jordan knew that coming in. You can only run so much outside zone/edge plays when he is in the back field. The tendencies is way to easy for opponents to pick up. The problem was we were horrible up front when he got his carries. Travis Green ran for 1300 yards at 180 pounds in the scheme.
Great post. Thankfully, we can start to put another board myth to rest - "they only run up the middle." This one might die a slower death than "the RBs are making the line calls."

I understand why the staff ran JJ on the inside zone stuff. He runs very hard despite his size. If he could have found even small seams, he was a threat to get into the open field and use his speed for chunk plays. Moe Neal lived on this.

This scheme has to be able to run the inside power run game.

Last edited:
After that half of basketball I just booked all my hotel rooms for fall home games lol very excited for football again! But I like the optimism about the OL. I tend to agree and think we had an impossible situation last year. I expect big improvements.
Ha Ha...I gave it to the first T/O in the 2nd half. If they weren't losing by more than 12-14 I'd stay. I made a good decision.

Which away games are you thinking about? I assume VT and NCSt are no grainers for you

Great post. Thankfully, we can start to put another board myth to rest - "they only run up the middle." This one might die a slower death than "the RBs are making the line calls."

I understand why the staff ran JJ on the inside zone stuff. He runs very hard despite his size. If he could have found even small seams, he was a threat to get into the open field and use his speed for junk plays. Moe Neal lived on this.

This scheme has to be able to run the inside power run game.
Yup. You have to run your scheme. Giving him outside plays all the time is not smart. That’s high school level tendencies. A guy like JJ is the change of pace back. Hits the hole different. Might have got 10-12 carries a game but if you run him at the right moments he could pop a long one. We never got the chance to establish that.

Last edited:
Not to get off track, but none of the away games look like fun destinations to me. Am I wrong? If so, where should I be considering?

Ha Ha...I gave it to the first T/O in the 2nd half. If they weren't losing by more than 12-14 I'd stay. I made a good decision.

Which away games are you thinking about? I assume VT and NCSt are no grainers for you
I actually have since moved to CT so name is dated. But was still thinking of flying for NC State in addition to maybe Va Tech or Florida State. I haven’t been to any of those stadiums and would like to. NC State is probably best schedule wise so that’s probably a definite yes. Plus always get a good Cuse crowd there.

probably skipping the BC home game so will give my tickets away for that one. And hopefully can make the other five as of now. Booked rooms for them and can always cancel.

JJ was supposed to be used like this. You will notice most of Killns yards came from inside zone. Also the Louis kid from Liberty murdered us inside this year. Both little guys

Adrian Killins took an official visit to Syracuse.

It was the same with Travis Greene he’s an inside runner for Babers offense

JJ was supposed to be used like this. You will notice most of Killns yards came from inside zone. Also the Louis kid from Liberty murdered us inside this year. Both little guys

Yes, it was supposed to be like this for Jawhar. I covered him while he was being recruited, signed, hung with him while he got his grades to get here and play. A very exciting back. All he needed was a line who he knew were going to block for him.

But the big difference here is UCF's O line vs. ours - there is no comparison. Looking at Killin's tape UCF's line knew what they had and in some cases this tape shows some of UCF's line holding their blocks 10 yards beyond the LOS. When you have a kid like Killins or Jordan all they need is effective blocking/double teams for a millisecond with their burst to get them through and they are gone doing the rest by themselves with quick fakes/jukes and then the burner to the zone.

I had not seen a player as fast, 4.37, as Jordan at SU in a very long time and was hoping he'd be a difference maker here. It really is too bad. He did everything to get here and when he did the line let him down along with their coach. Cavanaugh was not a good mentor IMO. Hope Dino gets a man who knows his sh**.

If you go back to his high school films from Hamilton HS in Chandler AZ you will see almost a duplicate of Killin's runs on this tape running both inside and outside.

Last edited:
Yes, it was supposed to be like this for Jawhar. I covered him while he was being recruited, signed, hung with him while he got his grades to get here and play. A very exciting back. All he needed was a line who he knew were going to block for him.

But the big difference here is UCF's O line vs. ours - there is no comparison. Looking at Killin's tape UCF's line knew what they had and in some cases this tape shows some of UCF's line holding their blocks 10 yards beyond the LOS. When you have a kid like Killins or Jordan all they need is effective blocking/double teams for a millisecond with their burst to get them through and they are gone doing the rest by themselves with quick fakes/jukes and then the burner to the zone.

I had not seen a player as fast, 4.37, as Jordan at SU in a very long time and was hoping he'd be a difference maker here. It really is too bad. He did everything to get here and when he did the line let him down along with their coach. Cavanaugh was not a good mentor IMO. Hope Dino gets a man who knows his sh**.

If you go back to his high school films from Hamilton HS in Chandler AZ you will see almost a duplicate of Killin's runs on this tape running both inside and outside.
Absolutely. I was looking forward to it but like you said the line destroyed any chance of that.

Up the gut? I keep reading this from people here. I know it looks like a dive play but Its inside zone. Most used play in football. Inside zone gives the back the chance to find the lane. Have to use your vision. The problem is that there were not many lanes because we couldnt block anyone (even with soft boxes). This offense has always been a power run, inside zone run scheme. Jordan knew that coming in. You can only run so much outside zone/edge plays when he is in the back field. The tendencies is way too easy for opponents to pick up. The problem was we were horrible up front when he got his carries. Travis Green ran for 1300 yards at 180 pounds in the scheme.
I get it. I do.

I also wonder if this is a case of coaches overthinking things.

We didn't start with him this past season using him in a way that played to his strengths, and force the defense to make them stop what he does best.

Instead, we called a bunch of inside zone for him, where he isn't the strongest and he predictably got stuffed.

It's frustrating, because people forget this, but when we first started putting Tucker in the game, we were running a lot of tosses and outside zone for him. And it worked great.

The play against Louisville says it all. The problem is that we have people on here saying him leaving is no big deal. I completely disagree. A kid like him is hard to find. I hope the coaching staff does whatever they can to keep him on the team.

Could be. I would think he would be desireable enough that he would be prioritized over a high school kid. If not, I would question the benefit of leaving, if I were him.

We could be wrong, but the assumption has been that he wants to leave because he won't be the #1 RB. If teams don't foresee him as that regardless of what they have in their recruting class, I would be worried that I'd end up in the same situation elsewhere that I'm in here, if I were him.
I agree. Has he shown enough in his time here that he can be the #1 back anywhere?
I think he has potential, but unless he takes a big step down in competition, or he takes on a different role somewhere else, I think he's just starting over in a new system with less time eligibility wise to make an impact.
Or, it could also be that he doesn't le being so far from home.

Last edited:
I get it. I do.

I also wonder if this is a case of coaches overthinking things.

We didn't start with him this past season using him in a way that played to his strengths, and force the defense to make them stop what he does best.

Instead, we called a bunch of inside zone for him, where he isn't the strongest and he predictably got stuffed.

It's frustrating, because people forget this, but when we first started putting Tucker in the game, we were running a lot of tosses and outside zone for him. And it worked great.
I dont think it mattered what we ran the first few games. The line was bad. They barely played as a unit the whole pre season. That is not a overstatement. Im sure a lot of run plays were purposely left off, Players get hurt when you start running plays you dont run well. Jawhar never got the chance to play when the line got better. We would have saw more outside plays for him along with others ways of getting him in space. His first couple of series vs GT was looking promising.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom