Class of 2019 - RB Jawhar Jordan Jr. (AZ) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18 | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 RB Jawhar Jordan Jr. (AZ) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18

My guess is that if the PS can’t get a yes or no off the record on whether Jordan is qualified, he’s probably not qualified.

I guess I don't see the harm in allowing him to sign. We can only bring in 23 players which means we could conceivably have 2 empty NLI that would not be coming anyway. This way if he has to go Juco, and they want to bring him on in 2 years, he would feel the coaches stood by him.

Obviously couldn't do this when bringing in a full class but this year, why not. Unless they expect 2 more people to leave, opening 2 more spots and they plan on bringing in more recruits late.

The harm now is the new rule. You can’t sign kids who are not qualified.

I guess I don't see the harm in allowing him to sign. We can only bring in 23 players which means we could conceivably have 2 empty NLI that would not be coming anyway. This way if he has to go Juco, and they want to bring him on in 2 years, he would feel the coaches stood by him.

Obviously couldn't do this when bringing in a full class but this year, why not. Unless they expect 2 more people to leave, opening 2 more spots and they plan on bringing in more recruits late.

We lose a scholarship, can not back date them anymore. HUGE risk if doesn't have everything in order. Even if we don't sign the full class at NLI we can still be on look out for grad transfers and JUCO this year and actually use the scholarship.

We lose a scholarship, can not back date them anymore. HUGE risk if doesn't have everything in order. Even if we don't sign the full class at NLI we can still be on look out for grad transfers and JUCO this year and actually use the scholarship.

Yep and no staff in their right mind with 2 transfers on the books right now that can’t even play next year is ever going to do that.

The harm now is the new rule. You can’t sign kids who are not qualified.
Guess I didn't realize that NLI is same as a scholarship now. Thought you just couldn't go over 25 limit...

Guess I didn't realize that NLI is same as a scholarship now. Thought you just couldn't go over 25 limit...
When was a NLI not the same as a scholarship?

From NLI website:
Athletic Scholarships

Is an athletic scholarship the same thing as a National Letter of Intent?

No, but they are often confused with each other. By signing a National Letter of Intent (NLI), a future NCAA student-athlete ends the recruiting process with all other NLI institutions and commits to a school for one year. In return, the student-athlete is guaranteed a one-year scholarship from that school. The NLI seeks to limit recruiting pressure but signing one is not a required step to earning an athletic scholarship.

From NLI website:
Athletic Scholarships

Is an athletic scholarship the same thing as a National Letter of Intent?

No, but they are often confused with each other. By signing a National Letter of Intent (NLI), a future NCAA student-athlete ends the recruiting process with all other NLI institutions and commits to a school for one year. In return, the student-athlete is guaranteed a one-year scholarship from that school. The NLI seeks to limit recruiting pressure but signing one is not a required step to earning an athletic scholarship.
Ok. So signing a NLI means you get a scholarship, but not signing one does not prevent you from getting one.

Therefore, if the coaches allow a kid that doesn't qualify to sign a NLI, they are giving away a scholarship. For the purposes of this discussion, they are the same.

My impression was that a NLI doesn't count, until a school accepts it. LMK if I'm wrong. I'm operating on poor logic, because I think only a handful of RB's can do what he does. He has a special talent.

I'm willingly, an ostrich with it's head in the sand, on this one. I'm in the "beat the odds" camp, until it's proven otherwise.

Is there a rule that a non qualifier cannot officially visit? I know there’s a rule on the total number of official visits allowed per school (I think 50- ish).

Last edited:
Is there a rule that a non qualifier cannot officially visit? I know there’s a rule on the total number of official visits allowed per school (I think 50- ish).
Player has to register with the NCAA Eligibility Center prior to taking any official visits.

My impression was that a NLI doesn't count, until a school accepts it. LMK if I'm wrong. I'm operating on poor logic, because I think only a handful of RB's can do what he does. He has a special talent.

I'm willingly, an ostrich with it's head in the sand, on this one. I'm in the "beat the odds" camp, until it's proven otherwise.
I think the school accepts it by sending it to the athlete. If the athlete signs it and sends it back, they're connected.

I think the school accepts it by sending it to the athlete. If the athlete signs it and sends it back, they're connected.
What happens when so n so, is making his decision on signing day, and the other kid is behind him? I thought they'd send to both, and ask player b to wait, and would only accept it based on player A.
Example. The player can sign a nli, but does not receive a scholarship offer(at this time)

National Letter Of Intent. NLI. Three things You didn't Know.

Also. A player can sign an nli, if not eligible. If not eligible, by the first day of class, it is then null and void.

If no financial aid agreement is sent, and the player is ineligible, 1st day of class, I don't see how you lose the scholly, when you've essentially offered a pwo.. whether you save the scholly would be the question.

Last edited:
What happens when so n so, is making his decision on signing day, and the other kid is behind him? I thought they'd send to both, and ask player b to wait, and would only accept it based on player A.
Example. The player can sign a nli, but does not receive a scholarship offer(at this time)

Also. A player can sign an nli, if not eligible. If not eligible, by the first day of class, it is then null and void.

If no financial aid agreement is sent, and the player is ineligible, 1st day of class, I don't see how you lose the scholly, when you've essentially offered a pwo.. whether you save the scholly would be the question.
I think if the player signs early in December and does not qualify, you lose the scholarship. I don’t think it’s at the Feb. signing date. I think I read this somewhere.

Good question. I can't say I'm familiar with the logistics. I suppose it's no different than any contract where both parties must sign. I don't know if the players recieve it signed by whoever needs to sign it from the AD or if that part gets signed after it's faxed back. There are a few coaches on here that may have more insight in to the specifics of the process. Maybe they can clear it up.

I think if the player signs early in December and does not qualify, you lose the scholarship. I don’t think it’s at the Feb. signing date. I think I read this somewhere.
No. If they sign and don't qualify, whether they sign in December or February, the scholarship is gone.

No. If they sign and don't qualify, whether they sign in December or February, the scholarship is gone.
That is correct. So non qualifying signors would have summer classes to qualify.

That is correct. So non qualifying signors would have summer classes to qualify.
Not really as the new players usually arrive on campus in June to start summer classes at SU.

May I sign an NLI before I am certified as eligible by the NCAA Eligibility Center?

Yes. You may sign an NLI before you receive your final certification determination from the NCAA Eligibility Center. When you sign an NLI, you agree to submit the necessary information and documents to the Eligibility Center. These documents do not have to be received by the Eligibility Center before you sign an NLI. Later if you are determined by the Eligibility Center to be a nonqualifier per NCAA rules, this means you are not eligible at the NLI member institution for practice, competition and athletics aid. Your NLI will be declared null and void by the NLI signing institution, if by the opening day of classes, you are not academically eligible.

Ok. So perhaps there is a path. The problem, is if cuse waits, they could be stuck with a scholly , they couldnt use(unless they bumped up a pwo)

Doesn't seem promising.