Class of 2019 - RB Jawhar Jordan Jr. (AZ) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18 | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 RB Jawhar Jordan Jr. (AZ) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18

Really simplistic take that shows zero understanding of basic media relations.

If you are a major college coaching staff and don't have an "off the record" understanding with at least one member of the local reporting team, you are not doing your job as effectively as you could be, full stop.

Ever heard of the term “recruiting violation”?

If you have, then you’d be aware that when it comes to unsigned recruits, it is a violation for staffs to comment on them on the record, off the record or in any way, shape or form or that could be linked back to them.

That is why in every single one of these “recruits were misled or wronged” stories we’ve seen over the past 4 years or so, you never see the staff’s side of the story presented because they CAN’T comment.

Last edited:
If such an "off the record understanding" exists between HCDB/staff and a beat writer...Bailey is probably the least likely of all to achieve this status. Way too many Dino eye-rolls and smirks resulting from Bailey questions for him to be trusted. The guy is a dolt.

Putting that stuff aside, no staff in their right mind is going to risk recruiting violations to comment on something like this one way or the other. There’s no value in it. It’s obvious that when it comes to these articles, there is no direct link to the staff for Bailey.

Now for other football related articles he does where he has direct quotes or indicates an unnamed source, it’s obvious he does have some direct contact.

Completely agree with you, but unfortunately it absolutely is standard operating procedure. Never liked it and I've seen it from both sides.
It's ridiculous that it is SOP. Coaches talk all the time about teaching kids how to become men, better people. Hell, here's a quote from Babers in today's PS Kirk Martin article:

"His values align with what we teach our players every day about being better fathers, better sons, and better husbands"

I know this is standard coach speak, but the profession needs to take a look in the mirror if they can't call a kid who is verbally committed and tell him that they are no longer recruiting him. What kind of man can't do that? Especially when it's a valid reason like him not being qualified

Ever heard of the term “recruiting violation”?

If you have, then you’d be aware that when it comes to unsigned recruits, it is a violation for staffs to comment on them on the record, off the record or in any way, shape or form or that could be linked back to them.

That is why in every single one of these “recruits were misled or wronged” stories we’ve seen over the past 4 years or so, you never see the staff’s side of the story presented because they CAN’T comment.

I'd fall back on the word "simplistic" to assess your understanding of this stuff.

There are more than 50 shades of grey that don't get anywhere near what you're suggesting.

That you don't know that just confirms you've never operated in this space.

I think there is a lot of saving face in this article. The fact that he has taken a grand total of zero OV’s, but has all these other suitors should tell you all you need to know. This article serves nobody but Bailey. Totally unnecessary. All this will do is get the fan base all fired up against the staff. Weak sauce

I'm curious as to how this turns the fanbase against the staff. The casual fan, a segment that dominates SU Football, doesn't know or csre about incoming recruiting classes. The ones who are into this are this board and those who comment on Syracuse.com and Nunes.

No. I believe in the truth. If the kid, his mom and HS coach are all going to "lie" then it is on them. They didn't have to speak to Bailey. And if it hadn't been Bailey it would have been some other reporter or recruiting analyst behind a paywall.
Very much this. I think everyone should stop playing the blame game until they know for sure. If he doesn't sign, THEN you can lambast whoever

It's ridiculous that it is SOP. Coaches talk all the time about teaching kids how to become men, better people. Hell, here's a quote from Babers in today's PS Kirk Martin article:

"His values align with what we teach our players every day about being better fathers, better sons, and better husbands"

I know this is standard coach speak, but the profession needs to take a look in the mirror if they can't call a kid who is verbally committed and tell him that they are no longer recruiting him. What kind of man can't do that? Especially when it's a valid reason like him not being qualified

Don't blame the coaches or the kids, blame the NCAA for limiting contacts with no contact periods.

The staff can’t comment on this “on the record” as of right now and they still can’t comment “on the record” if Jordan doesn’t sign because he’s still a recruit. And when it comes to recruiting, as far as the PS is concerned, it’s pretty clear the staff doesn’t comment “off the record” because we never see anything like that in the PS. You would see recruiting articles citing “unnamed sources in the althetic department” or something to that effect and we never see that.

So if he does sign, Bailey “scooped” everyone else and if he doesn’t sign, the staff can’t comment on it anyway so it starts the one-sided narrative that the staff misled Jordan, didn’t communicate to him timely, etc, etc. So either he gets the scoop or creates controversy. It is a self serving article, I agree with anomander 100% about that.

Disagree. It’s a story. Parent confirms the kid, who verballed, but didn’t sign early, is about to sign.

It just may not be the complete story, which is frequent in recruiting. See Sampson, Tyrone.

Disagree. It’s a story. Parent confirms the kid, who verballed, but didn’t sign early, is about to sign.

It just may not be the complete story, which is frequent in recruiting. See Sampson, Tyrone.

Exactly. And no journo wants his story to be proved wrong a few days later.

Comments like these tend to come from people who may know something about football but know next to nothing about media.

All you can do is shake your head.

I'd fall back on the word "simplistic" to assess your understanding of this stuff.

There are more than 50 shades of grey that don't get anywhere near what you're suggesting.

That you don't know that just confirms you've never operated in this space.

We’ll see who the smart one is on signing day.

If he doesn’t sign with Syracuse, I stand by my “lack of basic understanding” of journalism or media or whatever.

Last edited:
Just my personal suggestion but how about we all just wait and see what happens next week. If he doesn't sign it wouldn't be shocking as there was a lot of speculation he wouldn't but if he does good for SU and him.

I'm not making ANY predictions about Jawhar Jordan, and therefore won't make any further posts in this thread.

But if you thought my posts were about a prediction contest on whether JJ comes here, I really don't what to tell you.

Reading comprehension does matter.

I think that the NCAA should be able to post online whether a kid is qualified or not. We all find out at the end of the day anyhow.

We can post his height, weight, shoe size, 40 time, vertical leap, wingspan and whether or not he likes taking long walks on the beach. BUT it would be unethical or some sort of privacy invasion to post not his grades but his qualification status to play D1 Football. We are not talking about his medical files here.

That would end all of this. Period.

Exactly. And no journo wants his story to be proved wrong a few days later.

Comments like these tend to come from people who may know something about football but know next to nothing about media.

All you can do is shake your head.

You seem pretty confident in your assessment of the situation even though you are almost certainly going to be proven wrong. Kinda strange to take such a strong stance on a losing side?

Without intimate knowledge, it would be presumptive to think either side was "lying", or being "sleazy."

In the JJ camp, It is possible he has done everything he can control, to "beat the odds." His path may just be more difficult than Dixon's, and require some additional help.

For Cuse, it could also be dependant on whether a Salahuddin signs, etc... They may have been very forthright, all along.

I may be wrong, but can't an athlete sign their NLI, but it doesn't count until it's officially accepted? Is it possible it's acceptance could be based on a pending ACT score, or semester?

*Disclaimer
I've been a little unrealistic with this kids chances, because I think he's the best RB available. Not a longshot to think his camp is suffering from the same "bargaining" logic, that I am.

It's not about whether there is a spot, it's whether or not he is qualified and will ever receive the NLI paperwork to sign from the staff.
From the discussion on here, it sounds like it may be both.

Don't blame the coaches or the kids, blame the NCAA for limiting contacts with no contact periods.
Some of the reasoning behind those periods is so kids can get a break from coaches smothering them. Both sides have plenty of time to communicate clearly.

I think that the NCAA should be able to post online whether a kid is qualified or not. We all find out at the end of the day anyhow.

We can post his height, weight, shoe size, 40 time, vertical leap, wingspan and whether or not he likes taking long walks on the beach. BUT it would be unethical or some sort of privacy invasion to post not his grades but his qualification status to play D1 Football. We are not talking about his medical files here.

That would end all of this. Period.
I'm pretty sure that's against the law.

Didn't some people say we had room for both Howard and Salahuddin? I don't follow the numbers closely enough to know if that's accurate, but if it is, and Salahuddin is going to Pitt, doesn't that open up a spot for Jordan.
It would open up a spot. But Jordan won't qualify so the staff probably wouldn't let him sign and take up a spot.

It would open up a spot. But Jordan won't qualify so the staff probably wouldn't let him sign and take up a spot.
Ok. I was still hoping there was a chance. Oh well.

Is there a chance that with summer school he could become a late addition?

nothing stopping a kid from posting his own grades/transcipt but is there really a need ?

I guess I don't see the harm in allowing him to sign. We can only bring in 23 players which means we could conceivably have 2 empty NLI that would not be coming anyway. This way if he has to go Juco, and they want to bring him on in 2 years, he would feel the coaches stood by him.

Obviously couldn't do this when bringing in a full class but this year, why not. Unless they expect 2 more people to leave, opening 2 more spots and they plan on bringing in more recruits late.

All relevant parties (not media) know where they stand. Sometimes you can't just will things to happen even if it's your plan.

I guess I don't see the harm in allowing him to sign. We can only bring in 23 players which means we could conceivably have 2 empty NLI that would not be coming anyway. This way if he has to go Juco, and they want to bring him on in 2 years, he would feel the coaches stood by him.

Obviously couldn't do this when bringing in a full class but this year, why not. Unless they expect 2 more people to leave, opening 2 more spots and they plan on bringing in more recruits late.

Players can still be taken after NLI. Grad transfers don't count towards the class but they would count towards the 85 total. The staff could always wait and add a grad transfer instead of wasting a scholarship on a non-qualifier.

Last edited: