Class of 2019 - RB Jawhar Jordan Jr. (AZ) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18 | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 RB Jawhar Jordan Jr. (AZ) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18

Jawhar Jordan plans to sign with Syracuse football on Wednesday, his mother, Rosalind Jordan, said in a phone interview on Friday afternoon.

Hamilton (Chandler, Ariz.) High School head coach Dick Baniszewski said the same following a conversation with Jordan on Friday morning.

"I just talked to him two minutes ago," Baniszewski said. "He feels that things are good."

eyes_1f440.png

Well we know Syracuse having “as many as six scholarships to fill” is false. Once Welch and Ellis were announced as blue shirts it was 4.

I really question the point of running this story. Even if you only know that he hasn’t officially visited, that should be a big enough red flag about him being able to sign. It only serves two purposes if he doesn’t sign - makes the staff look like villains that misled or ignored him or makes Jordan look like an idiot.

Well we know Syracuse having “as many as six scholarships to fill” is false. Once Welch and Ellis were announced as blue shirts it was 4.

I really question the point of running this story. Even if you only know that he hasn’t officially visited, that should be a big enough red flag about him being able to sign. It only serves two purposes if he doesn’t sign - makes the staff look like villains that misled or ignored him or makes Jordan look like an idiot.

It’s a set up for their next story.

are kids who walk on subject to the same rules for a scholie.. i though kids who sign get 4-5 yr deals but walk ons are year to year?

I hope this doesn't turn into one of those awkward signing days where he never gets the papers to sign.
Don't the parents know if the paperwork is going to be shipped or not. She said he plans on signing on Wednesday. Why would she say itthat if he isn't going to.

It would be six as 15 signed and two transferred in. The class can only be 23. Ellis and Welch were applied to the last class.

are kids who walk on subject to the same rules for a scholie.. i though kids who sign get 4-5 yr deals but walk ons are year to year?
It came out they were recruited as blueshirts and were granted scholarships at the beginning of last season. So they weren't walk ons. Walk ons have to be on the team for two years before they can earn a scholarship I think.

Schools can no longer backdate unused scholarships. It's "use it or lose it".

It's a big risk to keep one of your 25 slots open for a kid who may or may not qualify in June.
I'm not saying to save it for him, but saving 1 in general rather than taking a flyer on a b list kid isn't a bad idea. We've seen what this staff can do late in the game when other staffs are "done" hunting for talent. Don't take an inferior kid just to fill a slot. Now if you have a kid you want that wants in, don't save a ship for an "if" scenario.

Posted this in the Salahuddin thread, but I'll ask here too.

Didn't some people say we had room for both Howard and Salahuddin? I don't follow the numbers closely enough to know if that's accurate, but if it is, and Salahuddin is going to Pitt, doesn't that open up a spot for Jordan.

It would be six as 15 signed and two transferred in. The class can only be 23. Ellis and Welch were applied to the last class.

I know I’m being extra critical about the discussion of the numbers because I don’t like this article in general because of what I noted above.

It’s 6 currently open if you want to be technical but we have two verbals who OV’ed which make it four. Everyone thought it was 8 open prior to the Welch/Ellis situation being cleared up.

Posted this in the Salahuddin thread, but I'll ask here too.

Didn't some people say we had room for both Howard and Salahuddin? I don't follow the numbers closely enough to know if that's accurate, but if it is, and Salahuddin is going to Pitt, doesn't that open up a spot for Jordan.
It's not about whether there is a spot, it's whether or not he is qualified and will ever receive the NLI paperwork to sign from the staff.

Of course, in HAS, there is often extra credit work given to students to raise grades, even retro actively

I personally would take anything the parent/parents said about qualifying/graduating with a grain of salt. I’ve seen kids failing 3 classes all the way till the final weeks of school and no matter how many meetings you have explaining to the parent how dire the situation is, they still think they are doing fine.

Not everyone lives in reality.

What the staff does is a lot more telling than what the parent says.

It sucks because this kid would TOTALLY make our team instantly better. Still, if we don’t add a speedy APB this class, it just means Neal will continue in that role.

I know I’m being extra critical about the discussion of the numbers because I don’t like this article in general because of what I noted above.

It’s 6 currently open if you want to be technical but we have two verbals who OV’ed which make it four. Everyone thought it was 8 open prior to the Welch/Ellis situation being cleared up.
I know. I just don't want some of the others who may not be as aware to think there are only four spots total left in the class. And then maybe it is less than four. ;)

Every year with every program there are these awkward scenarios playing out. I blame both the families and the coaches for doing a poor job in communicating about these kids. I absolutely believe some parents go off the rails and others may not be adequately educated in the process. While some kids ignore maybe the obvious or messaging some coaches may provide. That said with all the staff and support some coaches do a piss poor job communicating and providing a simple 5 minute call seems to be to daunting for them. I hate this part of the recruiting world... and both sides are complicit.

I think there is a lot of saving face in this article. The fact that he has taken a grand total of zero OV’s, but has all these other suitors should tell you all you need to know. This article serves nobody but Bailey. Totally unnecessary. All this will do is get the fan base all fired up against the staff. Weak sauce

I think there is a lot of saving face in this article. The fact that he has taken a grand total of zero OV’s, but has all these other suitors should tell you all you need to know. This article serves nobody but Bailey. Totally unnecessary. All this will do is get the fan base all fired up against the staff. Weak sauce

This would be true only if he is being guided differently by the staff and wrote this piece anyway. And I mean being guided off the record.

This would be true only if he is being guided differently by the staff and wrote this piece anyway. And I mean being guided off the record.

The staff can’t comment on this “on the record” as of right now and they still can’t comment “on the record” if Jordan doesn’t sign because he’s still a recruit. And when it comes to recruiting, as far as the PS is concerned, it’s pretty clear the staff doesn’t comment “off the record” because we never see anything like that in the PS. You would see recruiting articles citing “unnamed sources in the althetic department” or something to that effect and we never see that.

So if he does sign, Bailey “scooped” everyone else and if he doesn’t sign, the staff can’t comment on it anyway so it starts the one-sided narrative that the staff misled Jordan, didn’t communicate to him timely, etc, etc. So either he gets the scoop or creates controversy. It is a self serving article, I agree with anomander 100% about that.

No. I believe in the truth. If the kid, his mom and HS coach are all going to "lie" then it is on them. They didn't have to speak to Bailey. And if it hadn't been Bailey it would have been some other reporter or recruiting analyst behind a paywall.

The staff can’t comment on this “on the record” as of right now and they still can’t comment “on the record” if Jordan doesn’t sign because he’s still a recruit. And when it comes to recruiting, as far as the PS is concerned, it’s pretty clear the staff doesn’t comment “off the record” because we never see anything like that in the PS. You would see recruiting articles citing “unnamed sources in the althetic department” or something to that effect and we never see that.

So if he does sign, Bailey “scooped” everyone else and if he doesn’t sign, the staff can’t comment on it anyway so it starts the one-sided narrative that the staff misled Jordan, didn’t communicate to him timely, etc, etc. So either he gets the scoop or crests controversy. It is a self serving article, I agree with anomander 100% about that.

Really simplistic take that shows zero understanding of basic media relations.

If you are a major college coaching staff and don't have an "off the record" understanding with at least one member of the local reporting team, you are not doing your job as effectively as you could be, full stop.