Class of 2018 - RB Mychale Salahuddin (DC) Transferring from Pitt | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 RB Mychale Salahuddin (DC) Transferring from Pitt

As it appears he'll likely select Pitt, I'd like to know where SU fell short. Facilities, recent winning tradition, chemistry with the players. What can we change? - besides winning of course. I mean Salahuddin considers Babers vs. Narduzzi and he opts for Narduzzi - Wha? Then again Julia Roberts did marry Lyle Lovett.

I know it's a little more complicated than this, but he'd warrant massive playing time and less RB competition at SU while running in a climate controlled, fast-track facility. I'd really like to know his rationale. Not what he says publicly about feeling comfortable at Pitt or educational opportunities, but what really turned the tide. I don't get it, how we can lose this guy, especially when it comes down to peer schools. Maybe it's that we don't stress RB enough in our offense. But still.

I'll let it go next year when we're 2-0 and heading into a home field match up with #8 ranked FSU and Markenzy Pierce and Strickland are averaging a combined 175 ypg.
I would guess he saw Howard sign, and the transfer from Oklahoma (I think it was Oklahoma) and he thought that more playing time was available at Pitt.

As it appears he'll likely select Pitt, I'd like to know where SU fell short. Facilities, recent winning tradition, chemistry with the players. What can we change? - besides winning of course. I mean Salahuddin considers Babers vs. Narduzzi and he opts for Narduzzi - Wha? Then again Julia Roberts did marry Lyle Lovett.

I know it's a little more complicated than this, but he'd warrant massive playing time and less RB competition at SU while running in a climate controlled, fast-track facility. I'd really like to know his rationale. Not what he says publicly about feeling comfortable at Pitt or educational opportunities, but what really turned the tide. I don't get it, how we can lose this guy, especially when it comes down to peer schools. Maybe it's that we don't stress RB enough in our offense. But still.

I'll let it go next year when we're 2-0 and heading into a home field match up with #8 ranked FSU and Markenzy Pierce and Strickland are averaging a combined 175 ypg.

Personally, I'll wait until the ink dries on the commitment document. But if he decides, as almost everyone believes, I recall reading somewhere, probably here, that Salahuddin was enamored with the idea of playing home games in an NFL stadium. It apparently made no difference if anyone was in the seats or not. But I am sure this is an obvious selling point with many recruits and they seem to get more talent because of it. I would think that choosing to play in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in sunny California would be a bigger attraction than Pittsburgh, but ... meh?

I don't think I ever implied we weren't.

We've been signing a few good/high star players since Grob, players that other bigger programs tried to poach close to signing day. Our overall class seems to have a much stronger baseline than in years past, that's what's going to ultimately get us to a consistently winning program. I don't think anything I said implied we weren't winning or doing well in recruiting.

Too many of our 4 stars in the past have been kickers or punters, or players who never made it to campus. These guys are being signed in positions of need, that are important to any program's success.

We've had 1 RB drafted in over 15 years. They have 3 getting work on most Sundays. That alone is pretty tough to overcome.

We've had 1 RB drafted in over 15 years. They have 3 getting work on most Sundays. That alone is pretty tough to overcome.
Yeah, and two were recruited/coached by our own David Walker. Sorry for the bitterness.

Too many of our 4 stars in the past have been kickers or punters, or players who never made it to campus. These guys are being signed in positions of need, that are important to any program's success.

Only partially true, the kickers/punters part isn't true at all. The players who never made it to campus is only partially accurate in 2 - 3 different recruiting years.

Jordan plans to sign with SU. Staff knows something we don't?

Didn't some people say we had room for both Howard and Salahuddin? I don't follow the numbers closely enough to know if that's accurate, but if it is, and Salahuddin is going to Pitt, doesn't that open up a spot for Jordan.

Didn't some people say we had room for both Howard and Salahuddin? I don't follow the numbers closely enough to know if that's accurate, but if it is, and Salahuddin is going to Pitt, doesn't that open up a spot for Jordan.
It all depends on the direction the staff is going. Maybe they want to fill an opening with a different position.

Free Article

Mychale Salahuddin, a one-time USC commit, is now in contemplation mode with his official visits finished and his focus on two schools.

The Washington (D.C.) Woodson four-star and the No. 5 all-purpose back in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, is down to Syracuse and Pittsburgh and will announce his decision Wednesday during a ceremony at his school.

"Those are the two schools he's looking at," said Woodson assistant coach Dwayne Johnson, who oversees recruiting at the school. "He is coming to make his decision at the the school on signing day."

Salahuddin made official visits to the schools each of the last two weekends.

The first was to Syracuse, where teammate Edward Hendrix signed, and he saw coach Dino Babers' vision of the program.

"He loved the coaching staff. That is first," Johnson said. "He been hearing for months he knew he was a special coach, and he came back saying that was the reason why he visited there when he had the chance to visit other schools. It was his relationship with coach Babers.

"He loved the coaching staff, he loved the campus. That's all he talked about. Once he got there on his visit, he really liked it. His mother and grandmother said it was a really good visit."

Last weekend Salahuddin visited Pittsburgh and learned about how he would be used in the offense.

"He really liked the coaching staff," Salahuddin said. "They came in late (in his recruitment) but they came in strong. That's what he said. They came in showing they want him and they need him."

During the visit, Salahuddin was hosted by former Woodson standout and current Pittsburgh defensive lineman Jaylen Twyman.

"He loved everything Jaylen told him," Johnson said. "He said he really liked being around the professionals there. Ya' know, the Pittsburgh Steelers practice right across the same playing field they practice on. He liked that."

I never like reading into things but it sounded like he had more connections with SU and Babers. Like how he described why he visited us - influence of DB on that. Hopefully he’s not blinded by the NFL players and the Steelers who he’ll never see again once he commits

The big question is whether this changes anything? Bnoro sent a frowney face, so I’m not holding my breath. Still, this article makes it sound like there’s a chance.

I never like reading into things but it sounded like he had more connections with SU and Babers. Like how he described why he visited us - influence of DB on that. Hopefully he’s not blinded by the NFL players and the Steelers who he’ll never see again once he commits
And, he mentions how much his family liked the visit. The comments about Pitt are all about the football program, while his SU comments mention a little bit more. We shall see.

And, he mentions how much his family liked the visit. The comments about Pitt are all about the football program, while his SU comments mention a little bit more. We shall see.

I note he brought his mom AND grandmother to Syracuse. No mention who joined him at Pitt.

Last edited:
I believe his mom was at Pitt too. They seem very impressed by the NFL ties and access.

Just keep in mind that this interview was info given by the Woodson Assistant Coach, Dwayne Johnson, to the writer. He didn't speak directly with Salahuddin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom