Reality Check...... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Reality Check......

hmm... I dont think you meant to respond to my message.

or maybe you misread it...

Sorry, I was responding to the "horrific" comment. My point is Cooney's effort would be horrific if other people were actually hitting threes. But when both teams go 2 for 23 that's pretty bad.

Wow, that's pretty strong language. He had two shots that clanked the opposite rim. If he was just a little higher on those shots he would have had 6 points. I don't think it's a big deal when both teams together went 2 for 23. I think it must have been cold in MSG, lighting, or something. Let's see what Cooney does in the next two games before we draw such a strong conclusion.

Whatever happens the rest of the season is IRRELEVANT to the point of most of these posts... Cooney was horrific vs. St Johns. No one is saying he is a bust, no one is saying he will score 0 points every game the rest of the year. Fact is, he laid an egg this weekend. Thats all people are saying. Yet the Cooney pom pom guys have repeatedly tried to find a way to refute this. Pointless.

Marsh01 said:
If you told any of us that Cooney would give us what he has given us so far this season we would all be jumping up and down with freaking pom poms. So the kid had one bad game? BFD This could be one of the one of the worst threads ever.

It's the same people who never gave Fab credit and hated him after his freshman year when he was a non factor (before the suspension). Dude won defensive POY in the best conference and people still couldn't give him credit. I guess if you start slow here people are going to be giving you Cleveland steamers if you don't dominate every game. Thank god Ennis was good out of the gate.

Whatever happens the rest of the season is IRRELEVANT to the point of most of these posts... Cooney was horrific vs. St Johns. No one is saying he is a bust, no one is saying he will score 0 points every game the rest of the year. Fact is, he laid an egg this weekend. Thats all people are saying. Yet the Cooney pom pom guys have repeatedly tried to find a way to refute this. Pointless.

By "people," you mean you & Shaky Potatoes, right? Because from what I'm reading, the people (read: majority) are saying even though he didn't knock down any shots, he still had a major impact on the game by occupying SJU's best defender. And then there's the fact JB states the exact opposite of what you're proposing.

The Cooney lovefest has taken on a comical nature at this point. Trevor is our 4th best player. He had a terrible game Sunday. Those are both facts. Life goes on. He will have better games in the future. He is an important player for our team because you really need four scorers to be good long term. Trevor's Army would have a chance of being more credible if they could admit the bad as well as bowing to him when he drops a few three balls.
Steve Lavin thought stopping Cooney was the key to beating SU. He never allowed Cooney's defender to double down on CJ or Grant or to help off of Cooney on Ennis. 'Nuff said.

The Cooney lovefest has taken on a comical nature at this point. Trevor is our 4th best player. He had a terrible game Sunday. Those are both facts. Life goes on. He will have better games in the future. He is an important player for our team because you really need four scorers to be good long term. Trevor's Army would have a chance of being more credible if they could admit the bad as well as bowing to him when he drops a few three balls.
Ego at its finest/worst.

Perhaps you should explain your "facts" to the two head coaches that were in that game. Where does that leave your credibility? Does it even cross your mind to read what we are saying, what the coaches said, and think just maybe there is more to the game than points for an individual player?

Try this exercise. Count the number of players on the floor for a team . When someone scores, does that mean the other four players were terrible during that play?

Capt. Tuttle said:
Steve Lavin thought stopping Cooney was the key to beating SU. He never allowed Cooney's defender to double down on CJ or Grant or to help off of Cooney on Ennis. 'Nuff said.

Well Lavin's an awful coach if he thought the Johnnies could keep it close and think upset if he thought shutting down Cooney was the answer. Wait...?

TB - do you live in Tampa Bay by any chance? Just wondering from your handle. I am obviously in Sarasota. I'll buy the beer and wings and we can continue from there. Preferably during an SU game. What say you?

GO SU!!!!!

Ego at its finest/worst.

Perhaps you should explain your "facts" to the two head coaches that were in that game. Where does that leave your credibility? Does it even cross your mind to read what we are saying, what the coaches said, and think just maybe there is more to the game than points for an individual player?

Try this exercise. Count the number of players on the floor for a team . When someone scores, does that mean the other four players were terrible during that play?

Cooney had 1 of the worst +/- of the game for SU
Boeheim benched him for the last half of the 2nd half.

I'm honestly kind of confused why people are defending Cooney's game vs St Johns right now? He played really bad. And he didnt move at all without the ball in the 1st part of the 2nd half.

He had a bad game. He's had an UNBELIEVABLE season. He is fine.

Cooney played HORRIFIC yesterday. He didn't move without the ball at all. I questioned if he was sick or something?

That being said... Cooney will not be that bad the rest of the season. I'll bet on that.

Agreed. Screening has to get better too. Those double stacked sets up top aren't doing anything. Not worried yet.

Well Lavin's an awful coach if he thought the Johnnies could keep it close and think upset if he thought shutting down Cooney was the answer. Wait...?
Hes no JB but He's not horrible IMO. He got those kids up for that game , his kids attacked us effectively in second half and he started laying off TC in the second half. IMO that forced JB to roll the dice and bring in MGbinje. Thank god that move paid off for us!

CusefanATL said:
Cooney had 1 of the worst +/- of the game for SU Boeheim benched him for the last half of the 2nd half. I'm honestly kind of confused why people are defending Cooney's game vs St Johns right now? He played really bad. And he didnt move at all without the ball in the 1st part of the 2nd half. He had a bad game. He's had an UNBELIEVABLE season. He is fine.

I don't think anybody's sating he had a good game, in my case I don't think he was good but he had more of an impact on offense than his 0 in the point column shows for the same reasons that Jim B stated.

Jack Hall said:
Hes no JB but He's not horrible IMO. He got those kids up for that game , his kids attacked us effectively in second half and he started laying off TC in the second half. IMO that forced JB to roll the dice and bring in MGbinje. Thank god that move paid off for us!

My post was all sarcasm, I agree with you and St. John's played a great game against the number 2, well tested, and complete team. We could have lost that game, Lavin coached a great game, we're a much better team than them but they played it closer than they should have. Lavin's game plan wasn't wrong and I think it played out for them, but when one team is far inferior to another its very hard to win games. We play them 100 times I think they win 10 against is.

I'm honestly kind of confused why people are defending Cooney's game vs St Johns right now? He played really bad. And he didnt move at all without the ball in the 1st part of the 2nd half.

I thought TCs plus minus was zero? Rak had a negative plus minus and no one is ripping on him...but yes I agree TC had a poor outing, if it happens again against vill I think it might be a red flag...

My post was all sarcasm, I agree with you and St. John's played a great game against the number 2, well tested, and complete team. We could have lost that game, Lavin coached a great game, we're a much better team than them but they played it closer than they should have. Lavin's game plan wasn't wrong and I think it played out for them, but when one team is far inferior to another its very hard to win games. We play them 100 times I think they win 10 against is.
My bad

TB - do you live in Tampa Bay by any chance? Just wondering from your handle. I am obviously in Sarasota. I'll buy the beer and wings and we can continue from there. Preferably during an SU game. What say you?

GO SU!!!!!

Man, i wish. But i do have a good buddy who lives there that I will be visiting soon. i will hit up up prior... Ad as for this thread, its all opinion. No one can say Cooney had a good or bad game. He scored 0 points, got pulled for a defense and was overall a non-factor. To me, thats a bad game. If people think otherwise, so be it.

this is all I am saying. Not sure how anyone could refute this. But people do, and thats why we have forums to discuss things.

this is all I am saying. Not sure how anyone could refute this. But people do, and thats why we have forums to discuss things.

What gets me about the Cooney conversation is both teams together went 2 for 23 from 3-point range. Maybe it was really cold in MSG or the lighting was an issue.

What gets me about the Cooney conversation is both teams together went 2 for 23 from 3-point range. Maybe it was really cold in MSG or the lighting was an issue.

cj fair was hitting just fine from 1 foot in.

TBCuse11 said:

Stop lying. That is not all that has been said.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Man, i wish. But i do have a good buddy who lives there that I will be visiting soon. i will hit up up prior... Ad as for this thread, its all opinion. No one can say Cooney had a good or bad game. He scored 0 points, got pulled for a defense and was overall a non-factor. To me, thats a bad game. If people think otherwise, so be it.
Great - do not forget. Just hope my daughter doesn't have our first grandson then. She's due at the end of January and the Army sent them to Fort Drum last month. That means getting out the mukluks. Poor planning on their part.

Great - do not forget. Just hope my daughter doesn't have our first grandson then. She's due at the end of January and the Army sent them to Fort Drum last month. That means getting out the mukluks. Poor planning on their part.

small world, my brother and his wife are in Ft. Drum currently.

That's not what people are saying. They are saying he had a HORRIFIC game. HORRENDOUS was one of the words used. I don't get it. He missed three shots - TOs weren't out of control. He didn't score and his defense wasn't great, but the words used here would indicate he missed 15 shots and gave the ball away 7 times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom