Reality is, Dino ain’t it. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Reality is, Dino ain’t it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When’s the last time we pulled a big upset? 2017?

Even GRob won at ND and had that Louisville game in that otherwise horrible 4 year span.

Why can’t ever pull one off anymore?

Rather than being a nightmare in the Dome for good teams to play against, we seem to be the ones who are affected by it and play the worst games possible in these spots.
That's what hurts.
Objectively it's important to recognize we've made progress under Dino. But getting up for, and ultimately losing these games seems to be his MO.
I mean, would anyone be shocked if we were to get boat raced these next 2 games coming up? It's a pattern that we've picked up over the years. Injuries, then our usual mid or season-ending swoon. It's PTSD all over again.

No other self respecting Power 5 program would still have Babers as their head coach with his record.
Agree. The extension we gave him likely made it impossible financially to move off him, and now this year he’s going to get us to another bowl game so there’s no moving off him this year.

Yes, this team could win 10 games. It has the talent and the schedule to do it. The problem is that the coaching today made that harder than it should be

A lot of blame going to the players and GS in particular, but did the playcalling put him in a position to succeed? A lot of what I saw was low percentage playcalling one play followed by overly conservative playcalling. Just made zero sense.

On the other side, WTH is Rocky calling on 3rd and medium to long dropping into a soft zone with no pressure? How is Simmons still starting as the main coverage safety when he is horrible in coverage? That's without even getting into the FG decision, the general lack of a pulse Dino showed, and the flattness this team showed. Clemson came out flat and even after gifting them 14 points we still had plenty of opportunities to seize momentum; Clemson was so flat at the start that those 14 points did not even give them clear momentum. We just decided to be even more flat and mistake prone. A huge game on homecoming to go 5-0, how do you not get up for that?

This team has led the country in penalties for a few years now. That spans multiple players and coaches. The only constant is Dino, and the HC owns overall team discipline. The stupidity and lack of focus we witness every week is a direct reflection of how he runs his program.

Dino's conference record tells you everything you need to know. It's exciting that we have talent and an awesome defense, but losing because of clear lack of preparation, focus, and gameplan is so frustrating. That's on the HC and it shows the quality of program he runs. Dino now has the talent to more easily compete, but it's coaching, discipline, and focus that is holding them back. Anything less than 6-7 wins from here on out for Dino should result in termination. He has all the resources that have been complained about previously.

There’s no way Syracuse would fire Babers if we qualify for a bowl. What we need to hope for is to string a couple more bowl season together and keep trying to make incremental gains in recruiting. Ideally we make and win a bowl game this year which allows us to go into 2024 with some momentum.

We commit the dumbest penalties and it happens year after year. I don't understand. I doubt Dino is out there at practice telling the guys to hit the other team late and get in their face. But it keeps happening.
When it consistently happens, it's coaching. Whatever he's doing to instill discipline isn't working. Does he need to ride players harder? Bench guys? Have position coaches go over the film one-on-one and break down what not to do? Make sure all mistakes in practice are immediately addressed and re-run those plays?

I don't know, I'm not at practice. But it's something like that. I also have a feeling he's not putting them in simulated pressure situations in practice, because his teams rarely seem to handle big games well.

Everyone needs to calm down. This one is not on Dino. Had to play against the zebras and Tobacco Road.

No, not really. The overturned targeting call was bad, other than that they should have gone to replay a couple times and didn't, and there were some close calls. The ACC has no incentive to be in the tank for Clemson, a school that is trying to get out of the conference anyway and is drawing dead for the playoffs this year. If anything, they had the incentive to help 'Cuse.

I still would love an explanation to:

1) Why they reviewed and overturned the targeting call on Shrader.

2) Why they didn’t review Alford’s near catch on the sideline. Of course it was ruled incomplete on the field too. Shocking, I tell ya.

3) Why they blew the lateral/fumble dead that we returned for a TD. And no review. Why not let that play out and then go take a look at it?

We know why. We would’ve had to destroy them to win this game.

When’s the last time we pulled a big upset? 2017?

Even GRob won at ND and had that Louisville game in that otherwise horrible 4 year span.

Why can’t ever pull one off anymore?

Rather than being a nightmare in the Dome for good teams to play against, we seem to be the ones who are affected by it and play the worst games possible in these spots.
So you’re blaming the fans for getting the players too hyped up?

He had never ATTEMPTED A FIELD GOAL LONGER THAN 50 YARDS in a live game and we decided to try it there. Maybe he's done it in practice, but that was not the right time to try that when you're down in a big game.
100%. It’s like designing a play for McLeod to take a three out of the time out.

2) Why they didn’t review Alford’s near catch on the sideline. Of course it was ruled incomplete on the field too. Shocking, I tell ya.

3) Why they blew the lateral/fumble dead that we returned for a TD. And no review. Why not let that play out and then go take a look at it?

It’s insanity.

And how about the play calling leading up to the stupid Fg decision. Fade bomb throw followed by face bomb throw. How about 3 yards and 3 yards and then you have two downs to get 4 and extend the drive. Absolutely idiotic by Beck and Dino there

There’s no way Syracuse would fire Babers if we qualify for a bowl. What we need to hope for is to string a couple more bowl season together and keep trying to make incremental gains in recruiting. Ideally we make and win a bowl game this year which allows us to go into 2024 with some momentum.
This.
In spite of it all, I don't want Dino fired. We've made progress with our coaches & staff, and our recruiting has also picked up. But 8+ years in, we need to consistently see bowls and winning seasons. The minute he throws up another stinker 3-4 win season, he should be canned, forthwith.

It’s insanity.
Nobody will even talk about it either.

Our sideline just stood there. Nobody was mad. Nobody will talk about it after. Losers that expect to lose and are ok getting stepped on. Young Boeheim would’ve thrown a chair at the press conference. Old Boeheim would’ve made his point too. Media would talk about it.

Here, nobody cares. Clemson “blew us out” and “we suck”.

And to add on the holding calls and the pass inteference calls were all one-side in Clemson's favor as usual.

I almost want to make yet another post about where Syracuse finishes in penalty yardage every year. It's almost always at the bottom of the nation.. usually between 120th and 131st. It's not a coincidence that we're constantly finishing at the bottom while our opponents get away with the most blatant stuff ever.

And to add on the holding calls and the pass inteference calls were all one-side in Clemson's favor as usual.

I almost want to make yet another post about where Syracuse finishes in penalty yardage every year. It's almost always at the bottom of the nation.. usually between 120th and 131st. It's not a coincidence that we're constantly finishing at the bottom while our opponents get away with the most blatant stuff ever.
Agreed!

But the “blow the potential fumble dead too early” thing always seems extra blatant cheating to me. It was very close and there was absolutely zero reason for them to blow that play dead.

I didn’t see Alford complain about the call, maybe I missed it if he did.

I don’t think they blew the lateral dead, I thought the call was it was a forward pass.

Simple fact is when you play teams that are top to bottom more skilled you can't make mistakes and win.

Dino's team is consistently undisciplined. That means they'll make mistakes that make it hard to win against superior opponents.

It isn't more complicated than that.
it. I have time today because I've read a lot of stupid today following the game.

What does discipline have to do with the loss today? Outside of Wax's penalty that could have been swallowed, I didn't see a team that was shooting itself in the foot flag wise. This was a game that came strictly down to execution. This was a winnable game but was lost because of poor play out of the gate. They were spotted 14 points and from there, Syracuse had to play their way back into it to make it competitive. All Shrader had to do was play a decent game and they'd have had a chance to take this one. I don't know what discipline has to do with passing the ball out of bounds. I don't know what discipline has to do with carrying it carelessly in the open field. I don't know what discipline has to do with holding onto the ball too long.
LOL Colorado did
Because SU and SUA, which has no money period and no large scale boosters was going to be able to afford Sanders. Got it. I don't need to go on the pay side or be in the board clique to get info. I had a conversation about this topic just a few weeks ago and they admitted that NIL here is going nowhere for those reasons alone. It's just a front to look competitive in a space they will never be competitive in.
Purdue stinks.

Western Michigan stinks.

Colgate stinks.

Army is decent, but not a P5 team. And we struggled with them at home.

Today was a game against a team ripe for the picking and we were not in the game.

I understand it’s fun to be 4-0, but we have played weak competition.
Lol. Just lol. You can't play a P5 (soon to be P4) team every week and expect to make a bowl game if you're that mid tier group. Everyone has pay games but when SU does it, it's weak competition and they stink. Had Purdue beat #25 Fresno State, would you say they stink? Their losses have come to teams that are on pace to make a bowl game.

And how about the play calling leading up to the stupid Fg decision. Fade bomb throw followed by face bomb throw. How about 3 yards and 3 yards and then you have two downs to get 4 and extend the drive. Absolutely idiotic by Beck and Dino there
True. Of course, there was a pretty obvious defensive holding penalty on 3rd down that wasn’t called, too.

I would have punted every day of the week. It was a one score game. Put them in deep and try to get the ball back. You don't give them the ball at midfield.
You don’t have to throw three Hail Mary sideline passing attempts into the fourth down either. Bad play calling

You are kidding right? How many 57 yard field goals are made in college ? How many have ever been made in the Dome? How many 57 yard field goals have been made in the NFL?
How many 4th and 9s have ever completed?

Clemson O isn’t explosive. It’s a game you can win playing time of possession and field position.

Dino’s record is mediocre. So are his in game decisions. 6-7 wins and a bowl no one cares about is his ceiling. We beat 4 tomato cans who cares.
Except when they win 10

Status
Not open for further replies.