Reality is, Dino ain’t it. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Reality is, Dino ain’t it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still would love an explanation to:

1) Why they reviewed and overturned the targeting call on Shrader.

2) Why they didn’t review Alford’s near catch on the sideline. Of course it was ruled incomplete on the field too. Shocking, I tell ya.

3) Why they blew the lateral/fumble dead that we returned for a TD. And no review. Why not let that play out and then go take a look at it?

We know why. We would’ve had to destroy them to win this game.
I think they review targeting because it's an ejection. No clue on 2 and 3, both seemed like they got buried quick and stripe definitely should have ruled fumble/play on and let review tell the tale on the backwards pass.

I still would love an explanation to:

1) Why they reviewed and overturned the targeting call on Shrader.

2) Why they didn’t review Alford’s near catch on the sideline. Of course it was ruled incomplete on the field too. Shocking, I tell ya.

3) Why they blew the lateral/fumble dead that we returned for a TD. And no review. Why not let that play out and then go take a look at it?

We know why. We would’ve had to destroy them to win this game.
And why doesn’t Dino loose his Schmitt somet8mes on these calls? Show some passion!

I think they review targeting because it's an ejection. No clue on 2 and 3, both seemed like they got buried quick and stripe definitely should have ruled fumble/play on and let review tell the tale on the backwards pass.
Yeah, I guess what I don’t understand is why they overturned the Shrader call after reviewing it. Why was a head shot allowed?

There’s no way Syracuse would fire Babers if we qualify for a bowl. What we need to hope for is to string a couple more bowl season together and keep trying to make incremental gains in recruiting. Ideally we make and win a bowl game this year which allows us to go into 2024 with some momentum.
Did it with Coach P

In one of the biggest moments of Syracuse football’s 31-14 loss to Clemson on Saturday, Orange coach Dino Babers asked sophomore kicker Brady Denaburg to kick the second-longest field goal in school history.

With 3:25 remaining in the second quarter the Orange trailed by a touchdown. Facing 4th-and-10, Babers had Denaburg line up for a 57-yard field goal try.

The kick fell a few yards short and Clemson and its scuffling offense took over with good field position. It took just four plays for the Tigers to score from their 39-yard-line, taking what would become an insurmountable 21-7 lead.

Babers pointed to the leg Denaburg has displayed on kickoffs, where nearly every one has sailed deep into the end zone for a touchback, as reason for his belief in the kicker.

“I’ve seen him hit from over 61 yards,” Babers said. “Have you seen his kickoffs? Have you seen where they land? He will have the school-record before he leaves. ... He will have that record if not his sophomore year, then his junior year or his senior.”

Denaburg said that his kick was good, just not perfect, resulting in it falling a few yards short of the uprights and tilting the momentum of the game heavily toward the Tigers.

“I hit 60s in practice,” Denaburg said. “It’s not like I haven’t done it before. I just didn’t get all of it.”

In the moment Babers made his decision, Syracuse had no great -- or even good -- options.

A punt could have easily landed in the end zone and netted the Orange only 19 yards of field position.

The Orange set up the field-goal try by failing to move the ball and throwing three consecutive incomplete deep passes. There was little reason to think Syracuse, which went 1-for-5 on 3rd-and-long, had a good chance of converting.

So Babers decided that the best option the Orange had was a fairly low-percentage field goal try and the risk that it would give Clemson a short field.

“Because he can make it,” Babers said, when asked why he took the kick in that situation.

Denaburg said he wasn’t surprised by the request.

He said he feels confident kicking from 55 yards and in, something he told special teams coach Bob Ligashesky before the game. He said it’s a conversation they have every week.

While 55 yards is where Denaburg feels good about his chances, he said he is capable of connecting from further out. He said he believes he could make about 60 or 70 percent of his tries from 57 yards and that he hit two 57-yard field goals in high school.

Denaburg said there were a couple factors that made the kick against Clemson more difficult than usual.

The operation, he said, felt a little rushed. He said his holder was asking that more time be added to the play clock. Because the situation wasn’t an obvious field goal try, Denaburg said he was also forced to kick with the ball Garrett Shrader prefers, rather than his preferred one.

“Every game is different,” Denaburg said. “There is other stuff that goes into it. There’s different balls put into the game. The quarterback ball is probably the worst ball I can kick. The kickoff ball is probably the ideal ball I’d like to have, but it’s not what happened.”

When’s the last time we pulled a big upset? 2017?

Even GRob won at ND and had that Louisville game in that otherwise horrible 4 year span.

Why can’t ever pull one off anymore?

Rather than being a nightmare in the Dome for good teams to play against, we seem to be the ones who are affected by it and play the worst games possible in these spots.
Maybe, just maybe, it’s because good teams are still good?

No, not really. The overturned targeting call was bad, other than that they should have gone to replay a couple times and didn't, and there were some close calls. The ACC has no incentive to be in the tank for Clemson, a school that is trying to get out of the conference anyway and is drawing dead for the playoffs this year. If anything, they had the incentive to help 'Cuse.

Old habits are hard to break.

Honestly, I expect officiating to always be awful. My high school coach used to always tell us to expect the official to be terrible - NFL refs are terrible and they’re at least theoretically the best of the best. Complaining about officiating is pointless.

And why doesn’t Dino loose his Schmitt somet8mes on these calls? Show some passion!
Yeah, I don’t need to see him throwing fits regularly.

But occasionally it’s warranted and needed, unfortunately. I think those plays warranted it.

In one of the biggest moments of Syracuse football’s 31-14 loss to Clemson on Saturday, Orange coach Dino Babers asked sophomore kicker Brady Denaburg to kick the second-longest field goal in school history.

With 3:25 remaining in the second quarter the Orange trailed by a touchdown. Facing 4th-and-10, Babers had Denaburg line up for a 57-yard field goal try.

The kick fell a few yards short and Clemson and its scuffling offense took over with good field position. It took just four plays for the Tigers to score from their 39-yard-line, taking what would become an insurmountable 21-7 lead.

Babers pointed to the leg Denaburg has displayed on kickoffs, where nearly every one has sailed deep into the end zone for a touchback, as reason for his belief in the kicker.

“I’ve seen him hit from over 61 yards,” Babers said. “Have you seen his kickoffs? Have you seen where they land? He will have the school-record before he leaves. ... He will have that record if not his sophomore year, then his junior year or his senior.”

Denaburg said that his kick was good, just not perfect, resulting in it falling a few yards short of the uprights and tilting the momentum of the game heavily toward the Tigers.

“I hit 60s in practice,” Denaburg said. “It’s not like I haven’t done it before. I just didn’t get all of it.”

“Because he can make it,” Babers said, when asked why he took the kick in that situation.

He said he feels confident kicking from 55 yards and in, something he told special teams coach Bob Ligashesky before the game. He said it’s a conversation they have every week.

While 55 yards is where Denaburg feels good about his chances, he said he is capable of connecting from further out. He said he believes he could make about 60 or 70 percent of his tries from 57 yards and that he hit two 57-yard field goals in high school.

Denaburg said there were a couple factors that made the kick against Clemson more difficult than usual.

The operation, he said, felt a little rushed. He said his holder was asking that more time be added to the play clock. Because the situation wasn’t an obvious field goal try, Denaburg said he was also forced to kick with the ball Garrett Shrader prefers, rather than his preferred one.

“Every game is different,” Denaburg said. “There is other stuff that goes into it. There’s different balls put into the game. The quarterback ball is probably the worst ball I can kick. The kickoff ball is probably the ideal ball I’d like to have, but it’s not what happened.”
So what you’re telling me is the posters comment about Dino saying “I wanted him to have the record” is bull chit.

EVERY year it boils down to a few things

INJURIES - why have we not investigated this and changed our approach?

PENALTIES - not sure why this has not been addressed, we had leaders making stupid stupid ones today

CLOCK MGMT - we've all seen it and can't figure it out

DEPTH - i feel this is semi-fixed this year and we did a good job (minus WR) bringing in solid depth

PLAY CALLING - again this is semi-fixed. Rocky needs to figure out 3rd and long otherwise his defense gets a solid A for playcalling. Beck has been very hot and cold this year.

FACILITIES - we lagged way behind in this for way too long, but it's finally starting to get better might be too late honestly

A lot of this is on our CEO Dino, I'm not ready to fire him after this game but if no bowl game he has to be gone, and next year he has got to start improving that terrible ACC record.
I really don't know where this program is going but weeks like this happening semi-regular make it really hard to keep coming back lol.

Maybe, just maybe, it’s because good teams are still good?
Good teams get knocked off on the road sometimes. We generally were always able to pull a home upset here and there even when we weren’t very good.

I'm not going to discuss Dino's performance. I think we will still get to 6-8 wins. We had a golden opportunity to dispel the image that we can beat the tomato cans but not the real teams, and we will continue to live with that. Still, I think 6-8 wins are realistic. If the ball bounces the right way, maybe more. I doubt it, but who knows. We'll have to wait and see.

One thing does bother me though. Remember the Dino we all fell in love with? The guy who, after big wins, would have the fiery postgame speeches? The big wins and those speeches are fading into the distance in the rearview mirror.

But so is the fire. All too often, when the officials make a bad call, Dino looks like a he is staring into space and trying to mentally calculate pi out to 20 decimal places.

I chuckle at the idea that if JB were coaching in that situation, he'd get T'd up once or twice a game. Now that may or may not be good, but I'll tell you one thing: the official wouldn't feel like he had gotten JB's tacit approval via his silence. La Familia? In most families, you want to see the patriarch disapprove when someone is probing you up a place where you are best left unprobed.

"We will be sending tapes of some of those calls to the conference offices." Wow! That is so cute! I'm sure that Barney, Gomer, and Goober in the ACC offices will be laughing themselves into hernias over that.

There’s no way Syracuse would fire Babers if we qualify for a bowl. What we need to hope for is to string a couple more bowl season together and keep trying to make incremental gains in recruiting. Ideally we make and win a bowl game this year which allows us to go into 2024 with some momentum.
Baring major injuries he should be fired 44 seconds after our 6th regular season loss. Completely unacceptable to go 6-6 vs this schedule.

Nobody will even talk about it either.

Our sideline just stood there. Nobody was mad. Nobody will talk about it after. Losers that expect to lose and are ok getting stepped on. Young Boeheim would’ve thrown a chair at the press conference. Old Boeheim would’ve made his point too. Media would talk about it.

Here, nobody cares. Clemson “blew us out” and “we suck”.
Yeah, because every team who freaks out on the sidelines about losses is a perennial contender.

Do people have any understanding of how this sport works? You don’t throw a toddler tantrum on sideline if you lose. That does nothing but make you look immature. Dion got blown out by Oregon, where was his tantrum? Dykes got blown out in the playoffs, where was his? How about their players? They didn’t throw them because they’re not 3.

In the moment Babers made his decision, Syracuse had no great -- or even good -- options.

A punt could have easily landed in the end zone and netted the Orange only 19 yards of field position.

The Orange set up the field-goal try by failing to move the ball and throwing three consecutive incomplete deep passes. There was little reason to think Syracuse, which went 1-for-5 on 3rd-and-long, had a good chance of converting.

So Babers decided that the best option the Orange had was a fairly low-percentage field goal try and the risk that it would give Clemson a short field.

Where in there did Dino say he put him out there to get a record?

The BS on this board is astounding

So why were we being tricky about the FG try and rushing it?

What was the point of that? I can’t think of any potential advantage gained?

Yeah, because every team who freaks out on the sidelines about losses is a perennial contender.

Do people have any understanding of how this sport works? You don’t throw a toddler tantrum on sideline if you lose. That does nothing but make you look immature. Dion got blown out by Oregon, where was his tantrum? Dykes got blown out in the playoffs, where was his? How about their players? They didn’t throw them because they’re not 3.
Dabo complained and then they overturned the targeting call.

Keep twisting words and exaggerating to make everyone elses points seem stupid and keep pretending to know and see things nobody else does. You are so above it all and level headed and just the one true student of the game on here. Extra cookies and milk for you!

Good teams get knocked off on the road sometimes. We generally were always able to pull a home upset here and there even when we weren’t very good.
“Generally”

When was “generally” and what constitutes “generally.”

Syracuse isn’t losing to a rising NC State (2018 win) they’re losing to perennial CFP contenders. Those guys are who they are because they DONT traditionally lose on the road. Clemson hasn’t stated 0-3 in conference in 40 years, that’s not to say a win can’t happen but to expect it is ridiculous. Just because you don’t catch them on their bad day doesn’t mean you never will. This whole “only Syracuse” schtick is so old.

The actual Dino quotes are not as bad as suggested earlier in the thread.

However “Because he can make it,” Babers said, when asked why he took the kick in that situation.” Is, I guess, an answer, not one I agree with, but certainly not fireable

Dabo complained and then they overturned the targeting call.

Keep pretending to know and see things nobody else does. You are so above it all and level headed and just the one true student of the game on here. Extra cookies and milk for you!
Oh yeah, that’s why they overturned it. So I guess when Dino complained about the backwards pass call it was just “southern officiating”

My god some people are insufferable after losses. Never Syracuse just CLEARLY lacking talent, it’s always Benny doesn’t have the right body language, Dino doesn’t get mad enough, Judah is on the ground too much or Wax doesn’t want it enough

“Generally”

When was “generally” and what constitutes “generally.”

Syracuse isn’t losing to a rising NC State (2018 win) they’re losing to perennial CFP contenders. Those guys are who they are because they DONT traditionally lose on the road. Clemson hasn’t stated 0-3 in conference in 40 years, that’s not to say a win can’t happen but to expect it is ridiculous. Just because you don’t catch them on their bad day doesn’t mean you never will. This whole “only Syracuse” schtick is so old.
VT, 2002.

Louisville, 2007.

ND, 2008.

WVU, 2011

VT, 2016.

Clemson, 2017.

This isn’t an “only Syracuse” thing. It’s a “how come we use to pull upsets, especially in the Dome but now it’s been awhile thing”. Keep making things up to argue with though. It’s entertaining.

kinda interesting contrast watching the sideline shots of the coaches box today. Dabo looked like he was watching a WWF cage match on meth . Dino looked like he was watching VERDI at the metropolitan opera on ludes.

Status
Not open for further replies.