Really excited about this team | Syracusefan.com

Really excited about this team

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
I know it was LeMoyne so we have to temper the excitement, but I liked a lot of what I saw. Lots of hustle out there.

The freshman all looked good. I was most impressed with how they moved in the zone. Looks to be further ahead on that then most freshman.

Mali can shoot it but I liked his rebounding too. He's got nice ups.

Lydon has a solid all around game. Very good rebounder at the 4 but will need a lot more muscle to play the 5.

Howard is going to be a surprise. Another nice all around player. Can handle, pass and shoot. When the bench shortens in ACC play he may only get spot duty but he's a keeper.

I think all the returning players showed improvement.

Kaleb is bigger but seemed quicker too. Looks to really push it and has an improved shot.

G has a great all around game. Does everything well with no weakness. Stroke was there. Like his length up top too. He and Cooney may not be real quick but they both have quick hands and did a great job together.

Cooney showed a different facet to his game. Handled the ball a lot and was constantly looking inside, especially to DC. Led the team in assists. Went real hard to the basket 6 times making 3-3 and getting fouled the other 3 times. Only made 2-6 from the free throw line. JB even yelled something like concentrate and shoot it after one miss.

DC after a slow start in the 1st half really came on in the 2nd. Still knocking the rust off. But he started going up string and did a better job on the boards. Never going to be a shot blocker or great defender. I can see him playing 30 mins. Showed no ill effects of the injury.

O I thought was very active on defense. Not worried about scoring. Does need to rebound better because he's gonna get 8-10 mpg. Just play D and get a few defensive rebounds.

Roberson was very active, looked better on defense and hit the boards. Points were all inside though. Didn't show the foul line jumper. Not sure he took any jumpers outside the lane? Will probably lead the team in rebounding and that's what we probably need from him more than anything.

Like I said, excited to watch this team grow. They work hard and have a lot of versatility. Probably the biggest weakness will be inside defense. Not a whole lot we can do about that though. Nobody is getting taller overnight.,

Gonna be fun.

I really like the freshman too. I too worry about inside defense/offense and our rebounding. Lemoyne was a pretty small team and we only out rebounded them by 5. Former Ludden player 6'6" Kaigler was guarding Coleman/Lydon defensively. Praying that Coleman stays healthy because Obokoh is still so raw and Lydon as a center sure makes the effort and definitely is active but needs to get stronger to be as effective against D1 interior offenses/defenses. I hope that our outside shooting remains a strength so defenses can't afford to double up on our weaker interior game. Hope Roberson becomes more of an offensive threat he only took 5 shots. The freshman do look much more ready than most freshman in their debut. They were aggressive, active and meshed very well with the veterans. I think this young team will have it's up and downs but it should be so much fun to watch their development.

this will be a fun team to watch. i do not expect a 20 win season, but look forward to the development and gradual maturity of this team. i do expect they will be really good by seasons end. typically we will struggle on the boards. 15 wins and maybe steal an upset somewhere.

DC after a slow start in the 1st half really came on in the 2nd. Still knocking the rust off. But he started going up string and did a better job on the boards. Never going to be a shot blocker or great defender. I can see him playing 30 mins. Showed no ill effects of the injury.

I don't think it's possible to overstate the importance of DC this year. I think his ability to be a consistent and reliable low post threat when outside shots aren't falling a la an upperclassman AO is the difference between going to the dance and not going the dance.

I'm really curious to see what Roberson / Coleman can do when there is a more concerted effort to get them the ball. Yesterday was an exhibition game, with lots of free wheeling and frosh indiscriminantly taking shots. Not really conducive to setting up the bigs. I think both of our starting bigs are going to surprise people.

rrlbees said:
I know it was LeMoyne so we have to temper the excitement, but I liked a lot of what I saw. Lots of hustle out there.

The freshman all looked good. I was most impressed with how they moved in the zone. Looks to be further ahead on that then most freshman.

Mali can shoot it but I liked his rebounding too. He's got nice ups.

Lydon has a solid all around game. Very good rebounder at the 4 but will need a lot more muscle to play the 5.

Howard is going to be a surprise. Another nice all around player. Can handle, pass and shoot. When the bench shortens in ACC play he may only get spot duty but he's a keeper.

I think all the returning players showed improvement.

Kaleb is bigger but seemed quicker too. Looks to really push it and has an improved shot.

G has a great all around game. Does everything well with no weakness. Stroke was there. Like his length up top too. He and Cooney may not be real quick but they both have quick hands and did a great job together.

Cooney showed a different facet to his game. Handled the ball a lot and was constantly looking inside, especially to DC. Led the team in assists. Went real hard to the basket 6 times making 3-3 and getting fouled the other 3 times. Only made 2-6 from the free throw line. JB even yelled something like concentrate and shoot it after one miss.

O I thought was very active on defense. Not worried about scoring. Does need to rebound better because he's gonna get 8-10 mpg. Just play D and get a few defensive rebounds.

Roberson was very active, looked better on defense and hit the boards. Points were all inside though. Didn't show the foul line jumper. Not sure he took any jumpers outside the lane? Will probably lead the team in rebounding and that's what we probably need from him more than anything.

Like I said, excited to watch this team grow. They work hard and have a lot of versatility. Probably the biggest weakness will be inside defense. Not a whole lot we can do about that though. Nobody is getting taller overnight.,

Gonna be fun.

Yeah it should be interesting/fun I think defense is going to be very important. The first 10 mins of the 2nd half on defense were promising. I'm guessing JB gave them an ear full at the half about D.

Agreed on cooney and improved court vision/assist game he might have potential to work as a PG in the Gerry mold this year. pop a few shots when open, if hes hot from outside G distributes, if cold cooney runs the point drives the lane and distrubutes. Could be important to eliminating the streaky play and opposing Defenses cant sag off him to help because of his threat to shoot. Take advantage when they do sag.

I'm really curious to see what Roberson / Coleman can do when there is a more concerted effort to get them the ball. Yesterday was an exhibition game, with lots of free wheeling and frosh indiscriminantly taking shots. Not really conducive to setting up the bigs. I think both of our starting bigs are going to surprise people.
Excellent points. I believe both will deliver on the offensive end when they become higher priority options (or simply because of their offensive rebounding abilities). People selling them short are in for an awakening. Obviously it will hinge on both staying healthy, but each of them are capable of delivering double doubles on a regular basis.

People say you don't learn much from exhibition games but that is foolishness. After last year's exhibition game, I was uneasy. After this year's exhibition, I feel excited. I held my breath the entire time Dajuan played and especially when he went down on the floor, but I didn't need to. There was a general sense of cohesiveness and flexibility that was deeply soothing to watch. Joseph looked much better off the bench. Last year was just too much for him.

Impression after ONE exhibition game: THIS YEAR'S TEAM IS BETTER THAN LAST YEAR'S. Am I damning them with faint praise?

this will be a fun team to watch. i do not expect a 20 win season, but look forward to the development and gradual maturity of this team. i do expect they will be really good by seasons end. typically we will struggle on the boards. 15 wins and maybe steal an upset somewhere.

wow. OP is "really excited about this team"

next post is 15 wins and maybe steal an upset for our worst season in my 30 years alive. but it will be "fun to watch"

Jiminey Christmas I hope we can do better than 15 wins.

With all due respect, you're crazy. This team should win 20 games, barring injuries. Next year should be better, but this year they should be just fine.

Last year was JB's worst team in a long time and they won 18 games. Not sure where 15 is coming from.

That would be the worst team in JB's history.

other "fun" things to watch:

Final 8 minutes of SU-Pitt football game
Lincoln Chafee debate
watching grass grow

I REALLY liked Howard. He was smooth, poised, could handle, and he's long. Didn't force anything. He really surprised me and Boeheim's words ringed true yet again. He wasn't spazzy and herky jerky like a lot of freshman (Kaleb, Patterson, BJ et al). The play where they came down on the break and he nailed that kickout 3 pointer from the top was a big time play.

With Malachi, Howard and Battle next year, Kaleb is going to either be the odd man out or have to pick up his game. All 3 of them will be on the court and with Malachi playing the 3 this year sets it up nicely. Really exciting.

Anyone else just baffled by this post? Makes absolutely zero sense. Talk about contradicting yourself... :eek:

With all due respect, you're crazy. This team should win 20 games, barring injuries. Next year should be better, but this year they should be just fine.

Last year was JB's worst team in a long time and they won 18 games. Not sure where 15 is coming from.
I think this year they may be better. People here really underestimate the fact of losing Silent G and Cooney

I REALLY liked Howard. He was smooth, poised, could handle, and he's long. Didn't force anything. He really surprised me and Boeheim's words ringed true yet again. He wasn't spazzy and herky jerky like a lot of freshman (Kaleb, Patterson, BJ et al). The play where they came down on the break and he nailed that kickout 3 pointer from the top was a big time play.

With Malachi, Howard and Battle next year, Kaleb is going to either be the odd man out or have to pick up his game. All 3 of them will be on the court and with Malachi playing the 3 this year sets it up nicely. Really exciting.

Did you watch Kaleb play last night? Got to the rim, handled the ball confidently, hit some threes, and most importantly was active defensively and kept his hands up. Joseph is going to play a ton this year.

I'm very impressed with how Howard shot the ball, too. I knew from watching game film that he was a good mid-range shooter when he got into the lane, but his jump shot looks smooth and effortless out to three. His size is perfect for the zone, and he's a big strong kid for an incoming frosh. I didn't like some of the passes he made; a few were things he could get away with at the HS level, but not at the college level--but that will straighten out as he gains some experience. Don't have a great feel for his handle yet.

Actually, all three of the frosh look advanced. Playing prep ball for powerhouse programs against national caliber schedules really has them more prepared than the vast majority of incoming frosh. Impressive.

I love that we have numerous players who can play in various combinations. I'm glad we finally have some options at point guard. The last few years, we've basically had one with some guys who could fill in as stop gap options. Now we have three. And we have players who can play in tandem in different lineups. Cooney not shooting well some game? We won't have to be locked into him playing 38 and having a 1-11 shooting outing--we can go with Richardson, Joseph, Howard, etc. to spell him any given night.

I really like the freshman too. I too worry about inside defense/offense and our rebounding. Lemoyne was a pretty small team and we only out rebounded them by 5. Former Ludden player 6'6" Kaigler was guarding Coleman/Lydon defensively. Praying that Coleman stays healthy because Obokoh is still so raw and Lydon as a center sure makes the effort and definitely is active but needs to get stronger to be as effective against D1 interior offenses/defenses. I hope that our outside shooting remains a strength so defenses can't afford to double up on our weaker interior game. Hope Roberson becomes more of an offensive threat he only took 5 shots. The freshman do look much more ready than most freshman in their debut. They were aggressive, active and meshed very well with the veterans. I think this young team will have it's up and downs but it should be fun to watch their development.

I really hate to rag on individual players, but at what point do you stop being "raw" and go to just not being good? I really don't see it with Obokoh. No doubt it looks like he works hard and is a good teammate, but I just don't see any potential for him to be anything but a body taking up space. Here's hoping he proves me wrong.

Agree. Have to be honest, there just is no one in the ACC that truly scares me. Of course we will be beat, and bees is right that interior defense will spell doom at times. I simply don't fear UNC (they're soft) Duke (young) UVA (just don't like them) etc. I think we will win games we aren't supposed to this year as an underdog. It definitely comes down to staying healthy though. One or two core guys go down, and we in big trouble!

I think this year they may be better. People here really underestimate the fact of losing Silent G and Cooney

True, but Battle is very very good and Cooney I think can be replaced. Plus we add Chukwu who will make our zone SO MUCH better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom